I Need New Headphones

Notis

I always wanted a good high quality pair of headphones.I've been using my old pair of krakens and i really want to upgrade.I like the hd 6xx but they are never going to drop so i decided to ask for your help.(budget 300-350)

That budget does sound like HD600 & HD650 territory, but it really depends what you're looking for.

ie. are you looking for a mic with that budget? What will you be using the headphones for (music, gaming, etc.)? If music, then type of music? Do you have an AMP/DAC?

No i have an external mic and i will basically use them for general work on my pc (music gaming ) also i dont have a amp/dac

18 hours ago, kaisei said:

That budget does sound like HD600 & HD650 territory, but it really depends what you're looking for.

ie. are you looking for a mic with that budget? What will you be using the headphones for (music, gaming, etc.)? If music, then type of music? Do you have an AMP/DAC?

5 hours ago, Notis said:

No i have an external mic and i will basically use them for general work on my pc (music gaming ) also i dont have a amp/dac

Well if you don't mind the open back nature, you will definitely get great sound fidelity with the Sennheiser HD600 or HD650. It's near the high end of what it would cost at the moment, so I would wait for a nice sale then spend about $60-100 on an amp or amp/dac combo. Ones I can recommend are (in no particular order):

• Fiio E10k
  • Micca Origen+
  • Schiit Fulla or Fulla 2

Well, you have two ways you can go:

1) Get both an amp/dac and a headset - if you go this route I'd recommend something like some AKG K7XX headphones ($200~ Massdrop) and either a Schiit magni/modi stack ($200~) or an o2+odac from either JDSLabs or Mayflower ($280~).  In my opinion the latter is a better amp/dac, and I like that it's a single unit instead of a stack... but it also busts your budget.

2) Get some nice headphones and get an amp/dac later - if you go this route I'd recommend either some Sennheiser HD650s or a pair of Fostex TH-X00.  I think the former are a better "all-around" headphone, while the latter are amazing for music and shorter duration sessions.  Both of these really *need* amplification to sound good, but you can always pick up a Fiio E10k as a starter and upgrade later.  Overall this is the route I went, but either way has pros/cons and how soon you will be looking to upgrade plays a big part.  I knew when I bought my HD650s that an amp/dac would be following as soon as I made my decision.

19 hours ago, aithos said:

Well, you have two ways you can go:

1) Get both an amp/dac and a headset - if you go this route I'd recommend something like some AKG K7XX headphones ($200~ Massdrop) and either a Schiit magni/modi stack ($200~) or an o2+odac from either JDSLabs or Mayflower ($280~).  In my opinion the latter is a better amp/dac, and I like that it's a single unit instead of a stack... but it also busts your budget.

2) Get some nice headphones and get an amp/dac later - if you go this route I'd recommend either some Sennheiser HD650s or a pair of Fostex TH-X00.  I think the former are a better "all-around" headphone, while the latter are amazing for music and shorter duration sessions.  Both of these really *need* amplification to sound good, but you can always pick up a Fiio E10k as a starter and upgrade later.  Overall this is the route I went, but either way has pros/cons and how soon you will be looking to upgrade plays a big part.  I knew when I bought my HD650s that an amp/dac would be following as soon as I made my decision.

1. The Schiit Magni+Modi is a better value than the O2+ODAC based on price, features, and specs alone. In terms of sound, most agree that the Schiit gear sounds better as well.
  2. I agree that the HD 650 is an excellent headphone.