Will expensive ram give me more performance than cheap ram?

Cantaloupeman

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tv2P7h So this is my build that id like to put together. I will most likely put in an rx480 or something around that performance. The ram however sort of caught me up. The good 3000mhz ram 8gb from corsair is the cheapest 8gb 3000mhz ram available. But it's 60$. Could i just get generic 8gb ddr4 and call it good? Or does ram speed really make a difference?

Just now, Cantaloupeman said:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/tv2P7h So this is my build that id like to put together. I will most likely put in an rx480 or something around that performance. The ram however sort of caught me up. The good 3000mhz ram 8gb from corsair is the cheapest 8gb 3000mhz ram available. But it's 60$. Could i just get generic 8gb ddr4 and call it good? Or does ram speed really make a difference?

no  fast ram only benefits very specific workloads

6600K - ASUS Z270i Gaming ITX - 8GB Corsair  Vengence LPX DDR4 2400MHZ - EVGA 1070SC - 120GB HyperX Savage SSD - CX430 PSU:|

PSU tier list- 

RAM speed makes very little difference in most things. It has recently been brought to my attention that RAM speed can make a difference in games like GTAV where CPU optimization is terrible (but only when you are getting into 120+ FPS.

99% of the time, RAM speed makes no difference so just get whatever is cheapest, from a reliable brand.

When in doubt, re-format.

Having faster ram does impact performance, get it if you have some extra budget to spend. 

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Palit RTX 3060 Ti Dual RAM: Corsair DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Asus X570-P case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

two recommendations:

1: dont look at speed when picking sticks, if you insist, grab 2400MHz

2: if you get 8GB of DDR4, get one stick of 8GB, because you'll be upgrading to 16 soon enough, and one stick of 8 is usually considerably cheaper.

There are some questions regarding your build.

Why a 6600K + h110?

Why that PSU? 

i5 2400 | ASUS RTX 4090 TUF OC | Seasonic 1200W Prime Gold | WD Green 120gb | WD Blue 1tb | some ram | a random case

3 minutes ago, herman mcpootis said:

Having faster ram does impact performance, get it if you have some extra budget to spend. 

what GPU is he using?

4 minutes ago, Pohernori said:

There are some questions regarding your build.

Why a 6600K + h110?

Why that PSU? 

there's more questions to that build tbh. he's essentially getting a cooler that's worse than the stock intel one, that's literally the shittiest mobo on PCPP (guessing the same for the cooler, and PSU for that matter), and then he smacks in some appareantly very well picked vengeance LPX'es.

53 minutes ago, manikyath said:

there's more questions to that build tbh. he's essentially getting a cooler that's worse than the stock intel one, that's literally the shittiest mobo on PCPP (guessing the same for the cooler, and PSU for that matter), and then he smacks in some appareantly very well picked vengeance LPX'es.

Well why does the motherboard matter if its not going to impact my performance? The cooler might matter but whats so bad about this one?

Just now, Cantaloupeman said:

Well why does the motherboard matter if its not going to impact my performance? The cooler might matter but whats so bad about this one?

And for the psu its a reliable brand 400w psu so thats all i really need.

1 hour ago, manikyath said:

if you get 8GB of DDR4, get one stick of 8GB, because you'll be upgrading to 16 soon enough, and one stick of 8 is usually considerably cheaper.

Or get a motherboard with 4 RAM slots so you can take advantage of dual channel mode.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

1 minute ago, Cantaloupeman said:

well, the mobo doesnt impact performance, but it impacts what kind of performance you can plug in, and that thing is essentially the bare minimals, to the point i can almost guarantee plugging an RX480 into that will screw up the audio quality. beyond that, you're getting a K processor with a mobo that cant overclock it, 

and the cooler... is tiny.

4 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

And for the psu its a reliable brand 400w psu so thats all i really need.

its the shittiest piece of junk made by a brand that also makes reliabke power supplies ;)

1 hour ago, Cantaloupeman said:

In short: no.

11 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Or get a motherboard with 4 RAM slots so you can take advantage of dual channel mode.

in anything bigger than ITX, 4 ram slots is a given for me, i was rather keeping the option of 32GB open, since i expect OP to upgrade to 16 before the end of the year :P

9 minutes ago, manikyath said:

well, the mobo doesnt impact performance, but it impacts what kind of performance you can plug in, and that thing is essentially the bare minimals, to the point i can almost guarantee plugging an RX480 into that will screw up the audio quality. beyond that, you're getting a K processor with a mobo that cant overclock it, 

and the cooler... is tiny.

its the shittiest piece of junk made by a brand that also makes reliabke power supplies ;)

So what is the absolute cheapest mobo i can get that will be able to overclock and what is the cheapest cooler i should get? And also what is the cheapest psu i should get? I dont have a shit ton of money so im just trying to get the bare minimum here. And if you think this build is shitty can you reccomend something better that will run most games 60 fps on high/ultra? I play mostly arma, ark survival evolved, Bf1, star citizen, and some other assorted flight sims.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

in anything bigger than ITX, 4 ram slots is a given for me, i was rather keeping the option of 32GB open, since i expect OP to upgrade to 16 before the end of the year :P

Are there even any games that use more than 4GB of RAM?  The most that I've seen is 3GB.  I can't imagine why you would need 16GB or more for several years.  I have 16GB for virtual machines, but that didn't improve any gaming performance going when I upgraded from 8GB.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

2 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

So what is the absolute cheapest mobo i can get that will be able to overclock and what is the cheapest cooler i should get? And also what is the cheapest psu i should get? I dont have a shit ton of money so im just trying to get the bare minimum here. And if you think this build is shitty can you reccomend something better that will run most games 60 fps on high/ultra? I play mostly arma, ark survival evolved, Bf1, star citizen, and some other assorted flight sims.

https://pcpartpicker.com/user/Scatoogle/saved/wZbwP6

check this out. Runs the 6500 is a very acceptable CPU choice and the stock cooler is more than sufficient. It's only marginally more expensive but well worth however long you have to wait.

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Are there even any games that use more than 4GB of RAM?  The most that I've seen is 3GB.  I can't imagine why you would need 16GB or more for several years.  I have 16GB for virtual machines, but that didn't improve any gaming performance going when I upgraded from 8GB.

I had to upgrade my pc to 16 gigs because gta v on 1440 was causing some major memory issues when I drove quickly.

1 minute ago, Scatoogle said:

I had to upgrade my pc to 16 gigs because gta v on 1440 was causing some major memory issues when I drove quickly.

Do you know how much RAM that game uses?

1 minute ago, JoostinOnline said:

Do you know how much RAM that game uses?

Was maxing out on my monitor. Upgraded to 16 and know I can have chrome on one monitor and gta or whatever game on my main and it still runs like a champ.

3 minutes ago, Scatoogle said:

check this out. Runs the 6500 is a very acceptable CPU choice and the stock cooler is more than sufficient. It's only marginally more expensive but well worth however long you have to wait.

Thanks man i appreciate it! Is there any way i could get anything cheaper though? Would the mobo i had selected in the previous build work with the 6500 well?  For me i can get the ram as cheap as 60$ and this mobo might not be the best but would it work with an i5 6500 and provide somewhat of an upgrade path?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7GTKNN

12 minutes ago, Scatoogle said:

just saying, evga B is potato.

4 minutes ago, Cantaloupeman said:

Thanks man i appreciate it! Is there any way i could get anything cheaper though? Would the mobo i had selected in the previous build work with the 6500 well?  For me i can get the ram as cheap as 60$ and this mobo might not be the best but would it work with an i5 6500 and provide somewhat of an upgrade path?

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/7GTKNN

At minimum I would say go for a single stick of 8 gig and numb that PSU up to an 80+ bronze. I wouldn't worry about an "upgrade path".

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

just saying, evga B is potato.

Better than the one he had and he's obviously not willing/able to get anything better.

22 minutes ago, manikyath said:

I've seen a lot of people here recommend ATX boards with only 2 slots.