Need help deciding whether it's worth it to switch PSUs... :)

Morgan MLGman

So I've got (a 3 months old) XFX Pro XXX Edition 650W in my main rig, AFAIK it's a superior unit to the regular XFX Pro Series 650W as it's semi-modular and is a bit improved platform overall.

Rest of my specs:

CPU: i7-6700K @4,7GHz

RAM: 16GB

GPU: Radeon R9 Fury (heavily OC'd)

(more detailed specs in the signature below)

I have an option to switch it for a Be Quiet! Power Zone 750W from my secondary, more workstation-oriented rig (i7-5820K @4,5GHz + GTX 970 @1520MHz) which has a Silent Wings 2 fan inside, it's a bit over 1 year old but it's a more expensive unit. My XFX PSU is great, but it's not the most silent when I OC my current GPU (R9 Fury) as the power draw combined with the OC'd 6700K makes the PSU fan ramp up so it's audible.

The point of the swap would be to lower the noise, as the Power Zone has a much quieter fan and higher wattage, it should run quieter with my Fury and for the 5820K rig it shouldn't make a difference if the PSU was XFX as the GTX 970 doesn't draw too much power and the fan would be inaudible with the lower-wattage setup, correct?

Both PSUs are under warranty and were bought by me, brand new.

The questions are:

- Is it worth the hassle to swap the PSUs? Will the noise be actually lower? (it should imo) It wouldn't cost me a thing since I own both rigs.

- Which unit is actually better in terms of PSU quality? I know that the Be Quiet! one was more expensive, but is it really better? (Both PSUs are Bronze-rated), can I get an opinion @STRMfrmXMN?

Thanks in advance guys!

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

You'll be fine. It doesn't really have any impact to switch, as your a good amount below 650W, it would cost you more in power probs if you switched them. Stay with it.

http://pcpartpicker.com/list/Mf3Zcc My build

R.I.P Donny- Got banned. We will always remember your spamming of "Cancerbooks"

iPhones are like 1 ply toliet paper with a logo slapped on them and years old hardware in them- A Wise Man

1 minute ago, ♠FlamieMeister♠ said:

You'll be fine. It doesn't really have any impact to switch, as your a good amount below 650W, it would cost you more in power probs if you switched them. Stay with it.

I guess you didn't read the thread entirely. I know that 650W is more than enough, I just want the PSU to be quieter as it's audible when the PC runs at full load for a long time (ex. BF1), the PowerZone unit has higher wattage, thus more headroom, which not only should make the fan run at lower RPM, but the fan in the Be Quiet! unit is also one of the quietest fans on the market (Silent Wings 2).

Note that the only "flaw" of the XFX PSU that I have according to jonnyguru's review is the fan noise...

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

According to the PSU tier list your XFX is tier 3 vs the other is tier 4. Don't think it will be problematic for your OC though. Would myself try it atleast if I want less noise.

For PSU the 80+ rating (or cost for that matter) says nothing about quality though for info...

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.

Basic PC parts guide

PSU Tier list

2 minutes ago, Gonio said:

According to the PSU tier list your XFX is tier 3 vs the other is tier 4. Don't think it will be problematic for your OC though. Would myself try it atleast if I want less noise.

The tier list is very general. The Be Quiet! Power Zone might be inferior to the XFX Pro XXX electrically (efficiency etc) but it's superior in terms of noise, features, wattage and overall quality.

4 minutes ago, Gonio said:

For PSU the 80+ rating (or cost for that matter) says nothing about quality though for info...

I know that, I know enough about PSUs to judge a good unit from a bad one :) I mentioned that both are bronze so people don't say "take the gold one, it's better than bronze", and also why I bought both despite being bronze, cause I know it doesn't mean anything, really. There are bronze units MUCH better than gold one, examples are those two units I mentioned when compared to, let's say EVGA NEX Gold.

8 minutes ago, App4that said:

You know me, I'd do it just to do it. Nothing ventured, nothing gained after all.

And I'm a fan if Be Quiet. 

Well, I guess the drawback would be me having to re-plug and rearrange cables in two separate rigs, and the possible upside would be a quieter rig, just not sure if it's enough of a difference to warrant all the work I'd have to do :P The cables are pretty neat in both rigs as one of them is in an NZXT H440 designed by Razer and the other is my main rig with the P400, since I care about the looks of both of those I'd need to put some work into managing the cables again :P

if it doesnt cost you much or anything then why not...otherwise i'd say just get extensions for your current PSU or go balls to the wall and get an EVGA G2 and be happy to have a top of the line PSU for the next 10 years.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

20 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

since I care about the looks of both of those I'd need to put some work into managing the cables again :P

...huhhh...that is supposed to be the fun part :P

as a tech enthusiast there is no better thing to do than a power supply swap other than a case swap IMHO :)

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

12 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

if it doesnt cost you much or anything then why not...otherwise i'd say just get extensions for your current PSU or go balls to the wall and get an EVGA G2 and be happy to have a top of the line PSU for the next 10 years.

Well since I own both PSUs I can do the swap freely, I just wonder if it's worth it. The Power Zone unit from Be Quiet! should be quieter based on the fact that it uses a very quiet fan and has more headroom? Cause the XFX can run the 5820K + GTX 970 rig without any issues as the wattage will be low anyway. And it's not like the PSU is super-loud now, it's just audible, and since I have another PSU to switch it with I decided to ask for opinions :P

8 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

...huhhh...that is supposed to be the fun part :P

as a tech enthusiast there is no better thing to do than a power supply swap other than a case swap IMHO :)

Yeah, it's just that with work and other personal stuff I don't have as much time for gaming as I used to, and swapping those PSUs + cable management would take good 2-3 hours to do properly :P

Practice makes perfect with cable management Bro. You know you want to. :) 

If anyone asks you never saw me.

2 hours ago, Morgan MLGman said:

So I've got (a 3 months old) XFX Pro XXX Edition 650W in my main rig, AFAIK it's a superior unit to the regular XFX Pro Series 650W as it's semi-modular and is a bit improved platform overall.

Rest of my specs:

CPU: i7-6700K @4,7GHz

RAM: 16GB

GPU: Radeon R9 Fury (heavily OC'd)

(more detailed specs in the signature below)

I have an option to switch it for a Be Quiet! Power Zone 750W from my secondary, more workstation-oriented rig (i7-5820K @4,5GHz + GTX 970 @1520MHz) which has a Silent Wings 2 fan inside, it's a bit over 1 year old but it's a more expensive unit. My XFX PSU is great, but it's not the most silent when I OC my current GPU (R9 Fury) as the power draw combined with the OC'd 6700K makes the PSU fan ramp up so it's audible.

The point of the swap would be to lower the noise, as the Power Zone has a much quieter fan and higher wattage, it should run quieter with my Fury and for the 5820K rig it shouldn't make a difference if the PSU was XFX as the GTX 970 doesn't draw too much power and the fan would be inaudible with the lower-wattage setup, correct?

Both PSUs are under warranty and were bought by me, brand new.

The questions are:

- Is it worth the hassle to swap the PSUs? Will the noise be actually lower? (it should imo) It wouldn't cost me a thing since I own both rigs.

- Which unit is actually better in terms of PSU quality? I know that the Be Quiet! one was more expensive, but is it really better? (Both PSUs are Bronze-rated), can I get an opinion @STRMfrmXMN?

Thanks in advance guys!

The noise will likely be lower. I mean, you should be fine to put either PSU in either system. It's a bit of a hassle but if the noise matters then why not?

Also, why do you have a "secondary" rig with a 5820K xD

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

7 hours ago, STRMfrmXMN said:

The noise will likely be lower. I mean, you should be fine to put either PSU in either system. It's a bit of a hassle but if the noise matters then why not?

Also, why do you have a "secondary" rig with a 5820K xD

Cause my gaming rig has a CPU that's better for gaming :) The 5820K rig is more workstation-oriented (thus faster CPU-slower GPU), but it still does decent in newer titles after you crank a few settings down :) I'll give it a shot. 

I'm curious, which unit is actually better in terms of PSU quality? The Be Quiet! one was quite a bit more expensive but it has more features and a quieter fan.

15 minutes ago, Morgan MLGman said:

Cause my gaming rig has a CPU that's better for gaming :) The 5820K rig is more workstation-oriented (thus faster CPU-slower GPU), but it still does decent in newer titles after you crank a few settings down :) I'll give it a shot. 

I'm curious, which unit is actually better in terms of PSU quality? The Be Quiet! one was quite a bit more expensive but it has more features and a quieter fan.

The XFX is a Seasonic unit so I'd assume it. That said, it performs fairly average. It might be based on the M12, I dunno. Either way I think they're comparable. Maybe bring in @quan289?

|PSU Tier List /80 Plus Efficiency| PSU stuff if you need it. 

My system: PCPartPicker || For Corsair support tag @Corsair Josephor @Corsair Nick || My 5MT Legacy GT Wagon ||

XFX Pro XXX Edition 650W and XFX Pro Series 650W are based on the same platform Seasonic AT / AM platform. I'm pretty sure the improvement you see in reviews are minor variances in quality between samples in which the manufacturer goes with another component(s) that they have on hand when there is insufficient stock. But yes, the XXX Edition is indeed functionally superior due to modularity.

The Power Zone uses a FDB fan and I believe to have a more relax fan profile at lower loads. This would allow it to be less susceptible to bearing noises and reduce turbulent noises; however, unlike many other BQ's PSU, the Power Zone is quite a bit louder overall - having the fan spin up to 2000RPM and over at mid to high loads.

If you are noise sensitive and have the time to removed the PSUs and redo cable management on both system, it may be worth it.