How to copy blurays to mediaserver for home theatre

so im not sure really where to put this, also i dont normally post on here so im not sure on really what to do

At home we have our own home theatre that we built with an actual projector and so on

*Photos taken by me*

DSC_0044.JPGDSC_0048.JPG

and recently i set up one of my old desktops to use as a plex server and a file server (dont worry i have got that all sorted out fine).

i heard linus say something about copying all his blurays onto his media server so he doesant have to fumble around with discs. and that got me thinking about doing the same thing, we have about 100 or so blurays in the cupboard and my question is how can i copy/rip (not sure what to call it) the blurays onto my media server wihtout loosing any quality so i can stream it through my plex server? i know there is the route of torrenting them but we support the film industry and would rather buy them so we can get the best quality, i do admit to downloading a few movies (only like 3 becasue i couldnt wait for the bluray) but i dont really like to do that. (and i cant do that now anyway since those sites have been blocked in australia) so im woundering is there a way to copy them onto my hard drive for my plex server.

TL;DR

Im wanting to know how to copy my blurays discs to a file without loosing any quality so i can watch them in my home theatre without swapping discs everytime, and to stream on my plex server. 

*cough*

look here

http://www.hdmediaconverter.com/top-5-blu-ray-rippers-2013/

*cough*

nothing to see here

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

1 minute ago, ItsJacob said:

thanks

whats the cough cough for?

also if anyone else has any other ideas or suggestions feel free to comment them

technically its illegal to rip DVD and Blurays.

Budget? Uses? Currency? Location? Operating System? Peripherals? Monitor? Use PCPartPicker wherever possible. 

Quote whom you're replying to, and set option to follow your topics. Or Else we can't see your reply.

7 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

*cough*

look here

http://www.hdmediaconverter.com/top-5-blu-ray-rippers-2013/

*cough*

nothing to see here

litteraly nothing illegal about ripping dvd or blurays :P

I tried MakeMKV, that seemed to work okay'ish. I only tried with dvd's though. So I'm not sure how it does with bluray.

1 minute ago, dragoon20005 said:

yeah i gather that but if you buy the bluray and copy it but dont share it and use it instead of the dvd wouldnt that be okay?

1 minute ago, Denned said:

litteraly nothing illegal about ripping dvd or blurays :P

I tried MakeMKV, that seemed to work okay'ish. I only tried with dvd's though. So I'm not sure how it does with bluray.

i was the era where CDs and DVD ripping was very popular and the movie industry is hell bent on stopping ripping

1 minute ago, rrubberr said:

Oh boy, nobody does, has, or ever will care until HDCP is good enough to actually stop them. For the OP, though, ripping 50 GB disks is going to take awhile, so maybe use a few drives.

i did that to DVDs which i rented and sharing the videos with my friends

later i was given a court summons thanks to some goody two shoes who reported me to the police and have to pay the fine or be jailed for ripping DVDs

lost 10K of cash :(

3 minutes ago, rrubberr said:

Oh boy, nobody does, has, or ever will care until HDCP is good enough to actually stop them. For the OP, though, ripping 50 GB disks is going to take awhile, so maybe use a few drives.

im not really worried about space though, i would probably only copy the ones we want to watch anywhere and i might scale it down or whatever so its not too big on space

2 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

i did that to DVDs which i rented and sharing the videos with my friends

later i was given a court summons thanks to some goody two shoes who reported me to the police and have to pay the fine or be jailed for ripping DVDs

lost 10K of cash :(

Yea, but if you rip disks for personal use / backups. That's all good. It way different when you rip with the intention of sharing them. :)

8 minutes ago, dragoon20005 said:

In the US at least it depends on how you rip them and the purpose for ripping them. If you rip them from a copy you bought to make a single backup copy then you're fine, if you rip them to resell or for monetary gain then you're in trouble.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

In the US

This is a Canadian forum and in Canada 'Format Shifting' as it is called is entirely legal.

I'd suggest MakeMKV to remultiplex the disc's content to an MKV file without any re-encoding.  It'll just reprocess the data into an MKV container without manipulating it.

I mean time.

?? how long does it take to copy, i would imagine it wouldnt take that long right?

3 minutes ago, Denned said:

Yea, but if you rip disks for personal use / backups. That's all good. It way different when you rip with the intention of sharing them. :)

yeah that what i plan on doing, just pretty much replacing the physical copy with a digital

And by drives I meant disk drives.

disk drives??

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

This is a Canadian forum and in Canada 'Format Shifting' as it is called is entirely legal.

I'd suggest MakeMKV to remultiplex the disc's content to an MKV file without any re-encoding.  It'll just reprocess the data into an MKV container without manipulating it.

oh, im in australia anyway

7 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

does makemvk copy the full 7.1 (or more) sound (if avaliable)? and the same for the video

also a stupid question but do you need a bluray disc drive or not? any good cheap ones to link. also does it matter what blura discdrive you have?

Just now, ItsJacob said:

does makemvk copy the full 7.1 (or more) sound (if avaliable)? and the same for the video

It copies everything.  It performs a task called 'Remultiplexing' often abreviated as 'Remuxing'.  It looks at the disc and lists the main title first (the movie) and all of it's audio and subtitle tracks, you then check which ones you want, and it'll then repackage the data streams into an MKV.  No recompression or modification of any of the datastreams occurs.  You can choose to only copy tracks in your prefered language or format or copy all of them.  Since there is no re-encoding it's also fast, or at least as fast as your disc drive can read the data.

Just now, ItsJacob said:

also a stupid question but do you need a bluray disc drive or not? any good cheap ones to link. also does it matter what blura discdrive you have?

Yes... You need a BD-ROM drive to read BD-ROM discs...

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

It copies everything.  It performs a task called 'Remultiplexing' often abreviated as 'Remuxing'.  It looks at the disc and lists the main title first (the movie) and all of it's audio and subtitle tracks, you then check which ones you want, and it'll then repackage the data streams into an MKV.  No recompression or modification of any of the datastreams occurs.  You can choose to only copy tracks in your prefered language or format or copy all of them.  Since there is no re-encoding it's also fast, or at least as fast as your disc drive can read the data.

okay thanks

wow guys thanks for all the support so quickly, if i asked this anywhere else i would either be waiting days for someone to reply or searching google for hours :)

5 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

do you know of any good cheap bluray drives? are usb or ones that go into the desktop better? also does copying it rely on cpu more or just how fast the drive is?

Just now, ItsJacob said:

do you know of any good cheap bluray drives? are usb or ones that go into the desktop better? also does copying it rely on cpu more or just how fast the drive is?

Most of them are pretty cheap these days.  No, the speed will be restricted by the optical drive.  The CPU does very little, it's mostly a data copy process,

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Most of them are pretty cheap these days.  No, the speed will be restricted by the optical drive.  The CPU does very little, it's mostly a data copy process,

48 minutes ago, Denned said:

47 minutes ago, Lurick said:

In the US at least it depends on how you rip them and the purpose for ripping them. If you rip them from a copy you bought to make a single backup copy then you're fine, if you rip them to resell or for monetary gain then you're in trouble.

as a kid i didn't think of anything else

we only share the good stuffs

no money was gain here

buying a DVD video disc at that time was out of the question when they cost at least 50-60 dollars and no working income

renting was the only cheaper option to acquire movie discs

and i can assure you ripping movies from the DVDs are much harder as compared to the tools you use these days

You are pretty much using file crackers which are MS-DOS written and takes hours to pull just one 4.7GB disc.