Re-encoding movie library to x265

43 minutes ago, Jetfighter808 said:

If quality was of the up most concern, why don't the published simply use the RAW recording and not compress it at all (I am not an expert in this field so this is actually an honest question) or encode it in h265 to begin with (also an honest question). 

RAW isn't possible because RAW is just that, RAW, it's not manipulated, it couldn't have visual effects or even be cropped or have any changes.  That said, the reason stuff isn't uncompressed is because the size of the data would be unmanageable, there really is no media distribution format large enough that could even do that.  Even Digital Cinema Packages rely on JPEG2000 compression for each frame.

I deal with EXR and DPX files at work all the time, which are lossless or uncompressed images derived from source material.  They weigh in between 10-25mb/frame, more if doing 4K.

My main argument here is that a lot being said here is kinda false.  Basically 'If you encode this to this, you won't be able to tell the difference' and they're using some pretty low bit rates where anyone really familiar with encoding knows that that kind of compression without significant change is possible.  I certainly get that they can't tell and it's subjective but I feel that THEY don't get that their view is subjective and are trying to push it as objective fact, as settings to universally achieve a 75% reduction in file size 'with no visual loss' which HEVC doesn't really achieve.  Even if we take a lossy to lossy compression out of the picture, when put side by side, with the same uncompressed source, HEVC only achieves about twice the efficiency as h.264.  And that's great but there are people in this thread effectively promising double and that's not really happening.

Even I use HEVC myself for specific conversions.  When I need to deinterlace material and convert them to single files for my server, I'll use HEVC as the output format, and the same goes for interlaced MPEG-2 transport streams from television captures.  Yes it's a lossy compression but I'm trying to detelecine or interlace, a processing effect so got to accept that it will be re-encoded so that I can have a progressive file

1 hour ago, AshleyAshes said:

My main argument here is that a lot being said here is kinda false.  Basically 'If you encode this to this, you won't be able to tell the difference' and they're using some pretty low bit rates where anyone really familiar with encoding knows that that kind of compression without significant change is possible.  I certainly get that they can't tell and it's subjective but I feel that THEY don't get that their view is subjective and are trying to push it as objective fact, as settings to universally achieve a 75% reduction in file size 'with no visual loss' which HEVC doesn't really achieve.  Even if we take a lossy to lossy compression out of the picture, when put side by side, with the same uncompressed source, HEVC only achieves about twice the efficiency as h.264.  And that's great but there are people in this thread effectively promising double and that's not really happening.

I think most people (in this thread) understand that you can't compress a 30GB file down to 5GB without losing a lot of detail -- but it's detail they're personally willing to lose. At least that's the general impression I've gotten.

I compressed a 30GB movie down to 7.5GB, and I can still tell frames apart if I compare them side by side, but if I were to watch each movie independently (or even side by side to be honest) I would never know that a difference existed. With that said, knowing that I can see the difference between static frames is enough for me to just leave them unencoded (or at least on the lookout for "better" settings). 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.