Re-encoding movie library to x265

1 minute ago, AshleyAshes said:

It's still a tremendous investment of processing time for a destructive process.  I'll go with the fat hard drives. :P

It's processing time that would otherwise go unused. So factor in the time that I would spend doing something demanding on it, and it would take 133 days -- but still cost the same $38.

And then there is also the potential issue of portability. What if you wanted to go on vacation and bring your movies with you -- well, a 12TB server might have plenty of room for everything, but a 2tb portable HDD is far more limited. And of course, you can choose 80~ movies to bring with you on your trip(s), but then you have to know what you're going to be in the mood to watch in advance. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

What if you wanted to go on vacation and bring your movies with you

Why would I go on vacation to watch the movies I can already watch at home? D:

5 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It's processing time that would otherwise go unused. So factor in the time that I would spend doing something demanding on it, and it would take 133 days -- but still cost the same $38.

And then there is also the potential issue of portability. What if you wanted to go on vacation and bring your movies with you -- well, a 12TB server might have plenty of room for everything, but a 2tb portable HDD is far more limited. And of course, you can choose 80~ movies to bring with you on your trip(s), but then you have to know what you're going to be in the mood to watch in advance. 

For me, if I'm leaving my home, I generally don't care about bringing those rips with me. 80 movies is enough that you can select your favourites from any genre as it is, but I'd just use Netflix, if I were on vacation (Or you know, not watch a movie?).

If I'm going on vacation away from home, watching movies is at best only happening during down time when I just want to chill, so I wouldn't be gone long enough to need more then a half dozen.

For Sale: Meraki Bundle

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

28 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Why would I go on vacation to watch the movies I can already watch at home? D:

24 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

For me, if I'm leaving my home, I generally don't care about bringing those rips with me. 80 movies is enough that you can select your favourites from any genre as it is, but I'd just use Netflix, if I were on vacation (Or you know, not watch a movie?).

If I'm going on vacation away from home, watching movies is at best only happening during down time when I just want to chill, so I wouldn't be gone long enough to need more then a half dozen.

Internet isn't always available. What if you're flying, on a cruise, or in a foreign country? There are a lot of times I've gone on vacation and ended up wanting to watch something -- whether it be while traveling or late at night before going to bed. 

And it's not necessarily an issue of not having room for enough but not having the one movie you really want to watch when you want to watch it. Add tv shows into the mix and it becomes even more of an issue. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 1/17/2017 at 1:28 PM, Terodius said:

6c46a14acbdb6d3890e155ff9ea78dac.png

fyi, there doesn't need to be a 'batch' because there is handbrakecli. just do up a powershell script and then let it go nuts. heck if you know how to run bash there is a bash script for this exact thing on github.

That being said, you do have you nas as an APIPA address....

Also new version lets you choose between a single file and a batch job straight up.

On 1/17/2017 at 2:09 PM, AshleyAshes said:

Gods of Egypt, Ghostbusters 2016, Pete's Dragon 2016, Independence Day: Resurgence, Fantastic Beasts, just to name some of the movies I've worked on in the last year.  I know a thing or two about compression and disc formats, it's kinda literally my field.

1. No-one cares it's the internet.

2. Gods of egypt was shit but it was the only one that was shit in a good way.

3. Rest of these films where just shit, this is well established fact at this point.

4. this is the internet, for all you know you could have been arguing with a dog.

5. Sure on a technicality your are right there is going to be a loss of quality as there is a lossy codec being used, but it will not be noticeable, unless OP was re-encoding then re-encoding then re-encoding etc etc, multiple times.

On 1/22/2017 at 6:54 PM, djdwosk97 said:

I totally would encode everything to x265 if it wasn't for the fact that it takes forever on my 4690k to encode a single movie.

I get around 10fps on my CPU, it takes a long time but it's best to just leave it working overnight and while you're at work.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

On 1/22/2017 at 7:36 PM, djdwosk97 said:

With RF 20, slow preset, and a 30GB 2 hour-ish movie, I think like 8-10 hours. 

Using slow preset is not worth it. I remember reading this very detailed analysis I think on anandtech about how medium is the best preset because slow and slowest gave like a 5% difference in quality for a 5-10x increase in processing power.

Corsair 600T | Intel Core i7-4770K @ 4.5GHz | Samsung SSD Evo 970 1TB | MS Windows 10 | Samsung CF791 34" | 16GB 1600 MHz Kingston DDR3 HyperX | ASUS Formula VI | Corsair H110  Corsair AX1200i | ASUS Strix Vega 56 8GB Internet http://beta.speedtest.net/result/4365368180

On 1/23/2017 at 0:14 AM, AshleyAshes said:

See, I just don't get this.  You guys are talking about a HUGE investment in processing time and the electricity consumption of running a PC's CPU full tit to transcode an entire library.  ...Meeeeeeeeeeeeeeanwhile, I got an 8TB HDD for $199 Canadian on Boxing Day.

1st an 8TB drive is over 500 USD here. 2nd my library is on a NAS server, so I can't just add another HDD randomly and start putting files on it. I'd need to rebuild my entire array. 3rd there's no need to spend hundreds of dollars on more storage when you can do what I did for a lot less money and more elegantly. 

1 minute ago, Terodius said:

2nd my library is on a NAS server, so I can't just add another HDD randomly and start putting files on it. I'd need to rebuild my entire array.

And this is why my NAS server is using FlexRAID, allowing me to add more drives without having to re-pave the whole thing first :)

And this is why my NAS server is using FlexRAID, allowing me to add more drives without having to re-pave the whole thing first :)

I could do that too if I had more bays available but I don't my server is full. Did you even read my first post?

Yes, I most certainly read that you imposed a needless limit on yourself by purchasing an off the shelf NAS that is fairly inflexible and expensive.  I mean, I dunno what you paid for that, but that thing was $799 USD when it was released and that's without any drives in it.

...I just think that such things are silly. :)

Yes, I most certainly read that you imposed a needless limit on yourself by purchasing an off the shelf NAS that is fairly inflexible and expensive.  I mean, I dunno what you paid for that, but that thing was $799 USD when it was released and that's without any drives in it.

Because I wanted something compact and convenient. It is actually expandable up to 15 bays with the DX513, which is why I bought this model. But I want to move to a NAS with 10GbE when I upgrade rather than expanding this one.

Also, I recently had to move across continents and if I had built a NAS box on a regular tower I wouldn't have been able to bring it with me but because this NAS is so compact it just barely fit in my luggage. Also, a Synology NAS server has tons of features that are useful. I run a mail and a PHP server off it for my website, I have an offsite backup on Amazon Cloud through the synology app, I regularly access my files from my phone or laptop through DS File. 

Sure, you can build a NAS server for less, but the fact is I did the research and I decided an this particular model of off the shelf NAS was what I needed and it's served me wonderfully these past years, no complains. Please don't assume you know my needs better than I do.

1 hour ago, Blake said:

1. No-one cares it's the internet.

2. Gods of egypt was shit but it was the only one that was shit in a good way.

3. Rest of these films where just shit, this is well established fact at this point.

4. this is the internet, for all you know you could have been arguing with a dog.

5. Sure on a technicality your are right there is going to be a loss of quality as there is a lossy codec being used, but it will not be noticeable, unless OP was re-encoding then re-encoding then re-encoding etc etc, multiple times.

No one cares that you (who apparently represent everyone on the internet) don't care. She was making a point. Some person tried to show her up. She corrected them. They tried to say how she was actually wrong. There's no doubt, she's not "technically correct". She is correct.

Sure, there's a point where most people probably cannot discern the difference between a Blu-Ray rip (uncompressed) vs some compressed h264 or h265 file. But it's different with everyone. You might not notice a difference at RF-20 /w Medium Preset. Someone else might. That other person might not notice at RF18. Another person might. And once you get to the point where there's absolutely no one around that can notice the difference, how small is the file even at that point?

Also, different people have different needs and quality standards. If you can't tell the difference between RF18 H264 and an actual Blu-Ray disk? Cool! But others may. By compressing, you're losing something - period. Whether you notice it (someone else might) or not.

Furthermore, who gives a shit if the movies she worked on were crap? She's not the writer, or director, or even part of the creative staff. As if YOU would turn down working on the Ghost busters reboot, had you been working in the movie industry within a company that was hired. Get off your high horse. To use your own words against you, no one on the internet gives a shit what you think about Gods of Egypt or Ghost busters. I saw ghost busters, and while I didn't like the movie, the visual effects were not bad (I didn't like the art design for the ghosts personally, but I assume the director or the lead VFX person made that call). Furthermore, she also worked on Fantastic Beasts, and that movie looks great, and is a solid (not fantastic... heh, but still decent) movie.

3 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

I do agree that in most cases, off the shelf "NAS" appliances, especially ones with more than 2 disks, tend to get way overpriced, very quickly. Even considering the GUI that NAS appliances ship with, you can find a Web Plugin or a NAS OS specifically designed with that in mind (FreeNAS is but one example).

iPhone Xr 128 GB Product Red - HP Spectre x360 13" (i5 - 8 GB RAM - 256 GB SSD) - HP ZBook 15v G5 15" (i7-8850H - 16 GB RAM - 512 GB SSD - NVIDIA Quadro P600)

3 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

I do agree that in most cases, off the shelf "NAS" appliances, especially ones with more than 2 disks, tend to get way overpriced, very quickly. Even considering the GUI that NAS appliances ship with, you can find a Web Plugin or a NAS OS specifically designed with that in mind (FreeNAS is but one example).

I spent over 1500 USD on data recovery on a dead HDD just before that. I just wanted something that was reliable and had a guarantee. When I bought the DS1512+ it came with a full data protection 5 year warranty, one of the benefits of buying an admittedly overpriced Business NAS instead of a Home-use NAS. 

4 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

Furthermore, who gives a shit if the movies she worked on were crap? She's not the writer, or director, or even part of the creative staff. As if YOU would turn down working on the Ghost busters reboot, had you been working in the movie industry within a company that was hired. Get off your high horse. To use your own words against you, no one on the internet gives a shit what you think about Gods of Egypt or Ghost busters. I saw ghost busters, and while I didn't like the movie, the visual effects were not bad (I didn't like the art design for the ghosts personally, but I assume the director or the lead VFX person made that call). Furthermore, she also worked on Fantastic Beasts, and that movie looks great, and is a solid (not fantastic... heh, but still decent) movie.

Ehn, it's easy for any 'Armchair Critic' to say 'That Movie Sucks And You Suck For Working On It' since that's the 'cool and edgy' way to go.  But honestly, working on big films is awesome.  And when you work on a film series you're a fan of, it's amazing.  Like, let's take The Phantom Menace for example, a film I've never worked on in any capacity, but there is a popular opinion that it's the weakest of the franchise.  If a true fan is presented with an opportunity to be involved in the production of a Star Wars film, even if that involves going back in time to work on Phantom Menace, their response will not be 'Worst.  Movie.  Ever.' they'll be all 'FIRE UP THE DELOREAN, WE'RE GOING BACK TO 1998!  I GET MY OWN LIGHT SABER, RIGHT!? D:' because it's actually really cool.

6 minutes ago, Terodius said:

I spent over 1500 USD on data recovery on a dead HDD just before that. I just wanted something that was reliable and had a guarantee. When I bought the DS1512+ it came with a full data protection 5 year warranty, one of the benefits of buying an admittedly overpriced Business NAS instead of a Home-use NAS. 

I understand the reasons you chose to buy a NAS appliance, and they are admittedly good reasons. I'm glad you took some time to do your research.

2 minutes ago, AshleyAshes said:

Ehn, it's easy for any 'Armchair Critic' to say 'That Movie Sucks And You Suck For Working On It' since that's the 'cool and edgy' way to go.  But honestly, working on big films is awesome.  And when you work on a film series you're a fan of, it's amazing.  Like, let's take The Phantom Menace for example, a film I've never worked on in any capacity, but there is a popular opinion that it's the weakest of the franchise.  If a true fan is presented with an opportunity to be involved in the production of a Star Wars film, even if that involves going back in time to work on Phantom Menace, their response will not be 'Worst.  Movie.  Ever.' they'll be all 'FIRE UP THE DELOREAN, WE'RE GOING BACK TO 1998!  I GET MY OWN LIGHT SABER, RIGHT!? D:' because it's actually really cool.

Agreed. I know if I were given the opportunity, I would do it. I would even work on Attack of the Clones (It's my least favourite of the Saga), even after seeing Phantom Menace.

Not every movie is going to be the next Inception, or the next Dark Knight. And you won't really know until it's done anyway. Sometimes a job means doing awesome stuff, other times a job means working on this mediocre or crappy movie, because they hired the company you work for.

1 minute ago, dalekphalm said:

Not every movie is going to be the next Inception, or the next Dark Knight. And you won't really know until it's done anyway. Sometimes a job means doing awesome stuff, other times a job means working on this mediocre or crappy movie, because they hired the company you work for.

And sometimes, a job pays for the nice couch you're sitting on, the 65" TV you're watching, because you did the most important thing: You made your employers client happy and was part of the many people who worked to have your employer meet their contractual obligations. :)

36 minutes ago, dalekphalm said:

No one cares that you (who apparently represent everyone on the internet) don't care. She was making a point. Some person tried to show her up. She corrected them. They tried to say how she was actually wrong. There's no doubt, she's not "technically correct". She is correct.

Woah, calm your tits white knight. No, no she isn't, there is a little something called context, which you see to have completely missed: "After I saw how a 40 GB remuxed bluray could be turned into virtually indistinguishable 5 GB version of itself I was sold." So when I say yes, technically correct, she is, lossless will always (99.99% of the time) look better. but that's not what the context of the OP was even talking about, instead I get to read some passive aggressive back and forth, so onto my post "it's the internet calm down, you can defend thous movies all you want but they are shit with one exception, your technically correct, but you'd need to exaggerate the issue multiple times".

Onto the next point. Yeah, I would turn down that stuff, If I wanted to be working on movies i'd move to Hollywood and work on movies. there was nothing wrong with the visual effects in any of thous movies? where did you get that from? I don't remember ever saying that, I said they are shit (with the exception of gods of egypt, that was very shlocky and knew it, which is why it was good, you know so bad it's good).

On 1/16/2017 at 1:59 PM, Terodius said:

I haven't started re-encoding my TV shows and Animes yet. The problem is Handbrake doesn't have a batch-edit system, so you have to do it file by file and it just takes an assload of time. I wish you could just select an entire folder at a time and say use this settings for all files but you can't. That's why I'm doing my movies first. 

It has a batch processor built int, but as you've noted in further posts, it's useless if you are tweaking settings or adding subs for each file anyway. However, an alternative would be using a standalone program after conversion that grabs SRT files from the web using your video filenames as search parameters. Personally, I like SRT files being stored independently as a lot of hardware set top boxes don't support reading subtitles from an MKV. (Although ideally, you'd store the SRT alongside the MKV file and embed it as well, for maximum compatibility.)

Desktop: KiRaShi-Intel-2022 (i5-12600K, RTX2060) Mobile: OnePlus 5T | Koodo - 75GB Data + Data Rollover for $45/month
Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9560 (the real 15" MacBook Pro that Apple didn't make) Tablet: iPad Mini 5 | Lenovo IdeaPad Duet 10.1
Camera: Canon M6 Mark II | Canon Rebel T1i (500D) | Canon SX280 | Panasonic TS20D Music: Spotify Premium (CIRCA '08)

11 hours ago, Terodius said:

Using slow preset is not worth it. I remember reading this very detailed analysis I think on anandtech about how medium is the best preset because slow and slowest gave like a 5% difference in quality for a 5-10x increase in processing power.

Well, unfortunately, x265 RF18 med results in a subtle, but noticeable difference to me. So I'm going to try RF17 med and RF18 slow and see if either makes the two indistinguishable. I already know that RF18 very slow isn't an option since it would take almost two days to encode. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

Question @AshleyAshes. Although you are right about how compressing a lossy video format into another lossy video format such as h264 into h265 will always result in a loss of information/degradation in quality and the simple solution is to simply have more HDD space. Have you not considered for the majority of people who aren't cinephiles won't be able to tell the difference due to the limitations of their TV or projector and instead just want to save some money instead or have an encoded h265 version to backup into the cloud in case their house burned down and all their blue ray rips were destroyed. If quality was of the up most concern, why don't the published simply use the RAW recording and not compress it at all (I am not an expert in this field so this is actually an honest question) or encode it in h265 to begin with (also an honest question). 

1 minute ago, Jetfighter808 said:

or have an encoded h265 version to backup into the cloud in case their house burned down and all their blue ray rips were destroyed.

Just saying, that's probably not much of a priority. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

Just saying, that's probably not much of a priority. 

fixed