Minecraft capped at 45FPS with RX 480

Snikerdoodlz

I'm running an Alienware 15 R2 with an i7-6700HQ and 8GB of DDR4 hooked up to a Graphics Amplifier with an MSI Armor RX 480. For some reason, whenever I play Minecraft, my game is capped at 45FPS in vanilla. I've done everything from turning off VSync, enabling and disabling VBOs, running it through Catalyst, adjusting my Catalyst settings to High Performance, and making a High Performance setting for the javaw.exe file. This is only a problem with Minecraft. It's even worse when I use shaders, only hovering around 20FPS. However, it still stays at 20FPS when I turn Render Distance up to maximum. Changing various in-game settings like Graphics Fast/Fancy, Particles, Smooth Lighting, etc. only improve FPS by a few FPS at best. I looked at the F3 menu and it says that I'm running from the RX 480. I've tried disabling my iGPU, which does not yield better results. I opened up GPU-Z, and my GPU was running at around 60 degrees C and GPU load bounced around from 0% to 100% to 40s and such. I can run games like Overwatch and BeamNG.drive at max settings at 70+ FPS, but Minecraft is being noncooperative.

Have you tried reinstalling Java?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Just now, Snikerdoodlz said:

Do I update to the latest version?

You should. Are you running the 64-bit version as well?

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

I'm not running any mods, and I'd expect a system that can push Overwatch at 80FPS to not break a sweat over Minecraft. I previously had an Aorus X3 Plus v1 with a GTX 870M and when I right-clicked on the launcher "run with high performance Nvidia processor," it handled it running shaders in excess of 60FPS.

i had a similar issue with a 980TI and a 6700k it would run slow and sometimes not even get past the launcher, the problem was a 32bit java if you haven't already, make sure that the correct version is installed

-edit i dont know how to check just try uninstalling it and reinstalling the known 64 bit version

System 1                                                                                            System 2     
Intel core 2 Duo T5800 @2.00GHz                                                    Intel core i5-4460 @3.20GHz quad core
4gb RAM                                                                                            8gb Samsung DDR3 1600Mhz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470                                                            Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 2gb
Windows vista Home premium 32-Bit                                                Windows 7 home premium 64-Bit

(Laptop)                                                                                              Asrock H81m DGS Micro ATX

System 3                                                                                           System 4

Intel core i7 6700HQ up to 3.5GHz 6MB Cache                                Intel core i7 6700k @4.20GHz

Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M 3gb                                                          32gb DDR4 G.Skill ripjaws 2233Mhz

Samsung 256GB M.2 NGFF Solid State Drive                                  Gigabyte G1 Geforce GTX 980Ti
1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive                                                                 Corsair RM-750 750W 80+ Gold

16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 2133MHz                                          Gigabyte H170 HD3 LGA1151

15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare 220-nits Display           Intel SSD 535 Series 240GB

Windows 10 Pro                                                                                 SanDisk 120GB SSD Plus

8-cell Lithium Ion (92 Whr) Battery                                                     Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit

(Laptop)                                                                                               IN-WIN GRone ATX Full Tower
                                                                                                            4g Arctic Cooling MX-2         
                                                                                                            Coolermaster Hyper 103
                                                                                                            TP-Link TL-WN881ND

Minecraft doesn't depend on your GPU. It's mostly a CPU-oriented game, because Java.

Remember kids, the only difference between screwing around and science is writing it down. - Adam Savage

PHOΞNIX Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.75GHz | Corsair LPX 16Gb DDR4 @ 2933 | MSI B350 Tomahawk | Sapphire RX 480 Nitro+ 8Gb | Intel 535 120Gb | Western Digital WD5000AAKS x2 | Cooler Master HAF XB Evo | Corsair H80 + Corsair SP120 | Cooler Master 120mm AF | Corsair SP120 | Icy Box IB-172SK-B | OCZ CX500W | Acer GF246 24" + AOC <some model> 21.5" | Steelseries Apex 350 | Steelseries Diablo 3 | Steelseries Syberia RAW Prism | Corsair HS-1 | Akai AM-A1

D.VA coming soon™ xoxo

Sapphire Acer Aspire 1410 Celeron 743 | 3Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Home x32

Vault Tec Celeron 420 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | Storage pending | Open Media Vault

gh0st Asus K50IJ T3100 | 2Gb DDR2-667 | 40Gb HDD | Ubuntu 17.04

Diskord Apple MacBook A1181 Mid-2007 Core2Duo T7400 @2.16GHz | 4Gb DDR2-667 | 120Gb HDD | Windows 10 Pro x32

Firebird//Phoeniix FX-4320 | Gigabyte 990X-Gaming SLI | Asus GTS 450 | 16Gb DDR3-1600 | 2x Intel 535 250Gb | 4x 10Tb Western Digital Red | 600W Segotep custom refurb unit | Windows 10 Pro x64 // offisite backup and dad's PC

Saint Olms Apple iPhone 6 16Gb Gold

Archon Microsoft Lumia 640 LTE

Gulliver Nokia Lumia 1320

Werkfern Nokia Lumia 520

Hydromancer Acer Liquid Z220

4 minutes ago, J-Dogg said:

i had a similar issue with a 980TI and a 6700k it would run slow and sometimes not even get past the launcher, the problem was a 32bit java if you haven't already, make sure that the correct version is installed

-edit i dont know how to check just try uninstalling it and reinstalling the known 64 bit version

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. What do I do? Do I want 32 or 64 bit? What is the correct version? I tried looking at Oracle's website and there didn't seem to be any separate versions for 32 and 64 bit.

1 minute ago, Snikerdoodlz said:

Sorry, I'm a bit confused. What do I do? Do I want 32 or 64 bit? What is the correct version? I tried looking at Oracle's website and there didn't seem to be any separate versions for 32 and 64 bit.

i feel your pain the java that they want you to download is the browser version and its really confusing and annoying. i'll link you to the one you want to download.

https://java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

click on windows offline 64 bit that is the one you want.

System 1                                                                                            System 2     
Intel core 2 Duo T5800 @2.00GHz                                                    Intel core i5-4460 @3.20GHz quad core
4gb RAM                                                                                            8gb Samsung DDR3 1600Mhz
ATI Mobility Radeon HD 3470                                                            Nvidia Geforce GTX 660 2gb
Windows vista Home premium 32-Bit                                                Windows 7 home premium 64-Bit

(Laptop)                                                                                              Asrock H81m DGS Micro ATX

System 3                                                                                           System 4

Intel core i7 6700HQ up to 3.5GHz 6MB Cache                                Intel core i7 6700k @4.20GHz

Nvidia Geforce GTX 970M 3gb                                                          32gb DDR4 G.Skill ripjaws 2233Mhz

Samsung 256GB M.2 NGFF Solid State Drive                                  Gigabyte G1 Geforce GTX 980Ti
1TB 5400RPM Hard Drive                                                                 Corsair RM-750 750W 80+ Gold

16GB Dual Channel DDR3L at 2133MHz                                          Gigabyte H170 HD3 LGA1151

15.6 inch FHD (1920 x 1080) IPS Anti-Glare 220-nits Display           Intel SSD 535 Series 240GB

Windows 10 Pro                                                                                 SanDisk 120GB SSD Plus

8-cell Lithium Ion (92 Whr) Battery                                                     Windows 8.1 Pro 64Bit

(Laptop)                                                                                               IN-WIN GRone ATX Full Tower
                                                                                                            4g Arctic Cooling MX-2         
                                                                                                            Coolermaster Hyper 103
                                                                                                            TP-Link TL-WN881ND

5 minutes ago, Snikerdoodlz said:

32-bit will show up as x86 and 64-bit as x64.

Spoiler

Capture.PNG

Go here: http://www.oracle.com/technetwork/java/javase/downloads/index-jsp-138363.html

Edited by Godlygamer23

Uninstall your original java and then install this one

Link

The geek himself.

I just installed Update 112, and to be safe I restarted my computer. I immediately started Minecraft, and what do you know! It was hitting my set cap of 90 FPS. I then go back in to test with shaders, but then it's back down to 20FPS. What happened? Here's what: Razer Cortex GameCaster Overlay. I don't know what it's doing, but it destroys FPS. I disabled it again, and what do you know: back up to 90. Set to unlimited FPS, now in excess of 200+. With shaders still running at around 45FPS, but it's much better than the 20 from before, and it's most likely just the GPU itself and not impeding software.

Lesson learned for future problems: DO NOT USE RAZER CORTEX GAMECASTER OVERLAY FOR MINECRAFT.