How dangerous is it to plug in Windows XP

Greenlink74
3 hours ago, rrubberr said:

Um, but they do though. At a bare minimum for their own sake, but let's, again, use at least a little common sense. Since it's so easy, I've got three instances of Server 2003 and a 98 box going right now. I'll leave em' on overnight just for you.

"For Metasploit to run properly, you must switch off anti-virus solutions and your local firewall before the installation and during its use," AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA AHAHAHAHAhAHAHHAHAH AHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA OOOH BOY.

So, in short, XP is only an issue if you're John Podesta.

who uses metasploit on windows?

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

13 hours ago, Abdul201588 said:

I've got a VM running XP. I've tried to install Firefox, does not work , tried Chrome did not work. Malwarebytes didn't even install. Even Oprea would not install, let alone open the installer.

You sure that's XP's fault? 

FF on XP.JPG

EDIT 15h55 CET : Just installed Chrome for your amusement and that runs just fine.  Installer downloaded from Google themselves.

It did install version 49.0.2623.112m and shows a warning about not providing updates to later versions, but that's simply because Google stopped supporting XP.  So this is not an XP issue, it's Google being dickheads.

EDIT 15h57 CET : Malwarebytes is installed, running and checking for updates.  Downloaded the default installer from the official site.

EDIT 16h06 CET : Opera 36.0.2130.80 installed and running.  Again, downloaded the default installer from the official site. 

8 hours ago, Generallee said:

XP is dead and no one should be using it.

XP SP3 is indeed abandoned, and that's the one in the comparisons.  However anyone with half a brain applies the Embedded/POSReady tweak to their XP SP3 install, which gives the OS security updates and patches until January 2019.

------

I'm reading a lot of uninformed scaremongering in this thread.  Sure, XP is horribly insecure and needs a lot of tweaking if you want to safely use it as a daily driver.  But the same applies to the later versions.  Just about every exploit discovered applies to all versions from XP onwards, the difference being that Microsoft simply doesn't want to patch it on the older consumer versions.

That being said, with XP1 you're going to have issues indeed.  SP3 is required for just about everything. 

If you're going to put that XP machine online, at least

1. download and install service packs 2 and 3 first
  2. update it as far as it'll go
  3. do the Embedded/POSReady tweak
  4. update it completely

I actually still run windows xp on my other computer. I do get malware but I use a lot of antimalware/antivirus programs. Other than that, XP is by far my favorite version of windows

The only reason I'm here is that I have homework that I don't want to do

PC  Specs   CPU: Intel Celeron N3060 |GPU: Intel HD graphics 400 |RAM2 gigs  |STORAGE16 gigs

It took me half an hour to find where to change my signature :(