What course to take to study computer hardware

Harshil1996

I am confused what degree course should i opt in my colege to study and understand computer hardware? Information and communication tech. OR computer engineering OR electronics and communication engg. OR computer science OR electrical engg. I only want to study computer electronics only but none other than it which mainly focusses on CPUs, GPUs, memories etc.  Pls help

8 minutes ago, Harshil1996 said:

I only want to study computer electronics only but none other than it which mainly focusses on CPUs, GPUs, memories etc.

Do you want to study this for fun or for a job?

Probably information technology is as close as you can get.

If you want to get indepth, look at EE, and knowing some CS is also nice.

Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering are both pretty hardware-oriented. Computer Science/Computer Science & Engineering have a much larger focus on software though, so if you strictly want something based in hardware I'd stay away from those majors. Depending on the university, they my offer concentrations/minors as well (I know that over here at Uconn our CSE department offers an IT minor and concentrations in things like Bioinformatics or Systems and Networks). Outside of Engineering you could become a computer technician - which sounds more like what you're describing to me -  but I have no idea what major you'd take for that. 

If you want to design circuit boards, embedded system, processors (CPUs, GPUs, Controllers, etc,) -> Computer Eng. or Electric Eng. (software development knowledge required for this field, 'cause you'll be coding chips and circuits to pass through simulators, to execute tests that you develop as well. Software programming courses are included in your degree)

If you want to design electric networks in home, house, city, and be part of large electric distribution or managerial systems -> Electric Eng.

What to work in the telecommunication field, in designing networks of various kinds? -> Communications Eng.

Please consult your Academic Advisor from the school you'll attend to know where to go. This is the job of your academic advisor :)

I think Computer Engineer is where you should go. Please note, that in the field, for companies like Nvidia, Intel, AMD, Qualcomm, and so on, when a company says "Electric Engineer (EE) degree required", this also includes Computer Engineering. Beside, in the end it doesn't matter. your resume should reflect your passion in working in the field when you apply, even if you have a a degree in psychology, if you show your deep knowledge and passion during the first interview, you are good on the second interview.  Of course, having the right degree helps hugely :)

(please note that Engineering fields related to anything computers should be considered as "New" fields, and therefore every university is different, some might have different options. Like for me, in Computer Science, my university of choice, had as option: web, gaming, software system, hardware system, business IT, general, and maybe 1-2 more that I don't recall. Please consult your Academic Advisor before to know which option is the best for you)

The trouble is that each and every course is different. One university may have an incredibly hardware-focussed computer science course whereas another might have an incredibly software-focussed computer engineering course so I'm not going to recommend you one, you should look at the courses and decide for yourself.

Go to (or email) the lecturer in charge of the course and tell him or her what you want to do. They can tell you which course is more suited to your range of interests. Like I'm sure you'll be able to switch courses but it's a right pain.

16 minutes ago, The Pikachu Mafia said:

Electrical Engineering or Computer Engineering are both pretty hardware-oriented. Computer Science/Computer Science & Engineering have a much larger focus on software though, so if you strictly want something based in hardware I'd stay away from those majors. Depending on the university, they my offer concentrations as well (I know that over here at Uconn our CSE department offers an IT concentration for example). Outside of Engineering you could become a computer technician - which sounds more like what you're describing to me -  but I have no idea what major you'd take for that. 

AYYY, CT.

Thank you everybody i have decided to go with computer engg. As it has everything related to computers only none other electrical and all that. I took advice from certain peoples like you guys and they too said that CE has both hardware and software where i can learn Digital electronics, microprocesssor architures, software languages too.

I have a couple friends in Computer Engineering, it seems like a fun major and I think you'll enjoy yourself. Good luck getting admitted into the program!