i5 6600k and a 760

Tristian Rong

Im getting a used 760 frim my brother in tell i can get a 1070. Would the 760 bottleneck the 6600k if so how bad?

A GPU can't bottleneck a CPU... And it won't perform amazing but it's not a terrible card

1 minute ago, Abyss Gaming said:

A GPU can't bottleneck a CPU... 

I'd love to hear where you heard that, because it's anything but correct.

18 minutes ago, Jade said:

I'd love to hear where you heard that, because it's anything but correct.

Technically it won't hurt the CPU performance right? All it can do is hold back what the game demands of it. Which is close to bottlenecking, but it isn't quite.- ?

i5 6600k and GTX 1070 but I play 1600-900. 1440p BABY!

Still, don't put too much faith in my buying decisions. xD 

8 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Technically it won't hurt the CPU performance right? All it can do is hold back what the game demands of it. Which is close to bottlenecking, but it isn't quite.- ?

That is still bottlenecking the CPU. 

As Linus put it: "A bottleneck occurs when there is some restrictive element holding back the performance that could otherwise be achieved."

As for you, OP: You'll be fine, but the CPU isn't magic; you won't max out every game if the 760 isn't up to par.

45 minutes ago, Jade said:

That is still bottlenecking the CPU. 

As Linus put it: "A bottleneck occurs when there is some restrictive element holding back the performance that could otherwise be achieved."

As for you, OP: You'll be fine, but the CPU isn't magic; you won't max out every game if the 760 isn't up to par.

Idk, that sounds like to me if the CPU is doing everything the CPU can do, and the GPU is just a side point.

Whereas from the GPU side of things, the GPU can be underfed by the CPU and miss out on doing the things the GPU is supposed to do.

To me it sounds like its not a "bottleneck". More like a "waste of power", cuz the CPU is still perfectly capable of CPU related tasks.

8 minutes ago, YedZed said:

Idk, that sounds like to me if the CPU is doing everything the CPU can do, and the GPU is just a side point.

Whereas from the GPU side of things, the GPU can be underfed by the CPU and miss out on doing the things the GPU is supposed to do.

To me it sounds like its not a "bottleneck". More like a "waste of power", cuz the CPU is still perfectly capable of CPU related tasks.

That is absolutely untrue. There are plenty of games that only update data per frame; notably all games running on the Source Engine. Information in the following context includes things like bullet registration and positions.

So, if I'm playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, getting 60fps, - as a result of the GPU being underpowered - and playing on a 128tick server, my client is only updating the information it sends to the server 60 times a second. Conversely, if I'm getting 200fps on a 128tick server, it will send 128 updates with the most recent frame of information. 

1 hour ago, Jade said:

That is absolutely untrue. There are plenty of games that only update data per frame; notably all games running on the Source Engine. Information in the following context includes things like bullet registration and positions.

So, if I'm playing Counter-Strike: Global Offensive, getting 60fps, - as a result of the GPU being underpowered - and playing on a 128tick server, my client is only updating the information it sends to the server 60 times a second. Conversely, if I'm getting 200fps on a 128tick server, it will send 128 updates with the most recent frame of information. 

Okayyyy, I kind of see what you are saying then. But that would be the GPU bottlenecking the network/server wouldn't it?... idk

2 hours ago, Tristian Rong said:

Im getting a used 760 frim my brother in tell i can get a 1070. Would the 760 bottleneck the 6600k if so how bad?

Short Answer: No, the 760 won't bottleneck the 6600K. Quite the opposite, it's a lot of cpu for very little GPU horsepower. 

2 hours ago, Abyss Gaming said:

A GPU can't bottleneck a CPU... And it won't perform amazing but it's not a terrible card

Same goes to you. Start googling, that phrase can't come from someone that understand what is talking about. 

1 hour ago, YedZed said:

That IS the definition of bottleneck brother. It's a binary thing either there is a bottleneck or there isn't. What you said describes a manual bottleneck. I don't know where you got the impression it being a harmful event or process. 

----------------------------

Long answer:

Bottleneck is a Workload distribution problem in system architecture. It's not a lottery, it's not a bug, it's not something that will harm anything but Performance.

Let's get this out of the way:

There will ALWAYS be a bottleneck somewhere, because by definition when a set of components are being held back from their maximum performance by other components that are already giving their best, then there is a bottleneck. 

Scenario 1) Game "X" uses 100% of GPU and 50% of CPU. We speak of a "GPU bottleneck".

Scenario 2) Game "Y" uses 50% of GPU and 100% of CPU. We speak of "CPU bottleneck". 

Scenario 3) Game "Z" Uses 50% of GPU and 50% of CPU. Is there a bottleneck? Maybe, but it's not from the CPU nor GPU, it could be designed to be that way. 

So there are only CPU and GPU bottlenecks? No! for every vital part of your computer there is a chance of it being a bottleneck under some workload.

Bottleneck exists even in Logistics environment where the supply chain is held back in some instance not letting an optimal workflow to be sustained.

It's not inherent to Computers, not even games. It's a general concept that you apply to explain why your system (by system i refer to multiple parts coexisting and interacting with each other, not just a "PC") is not operating at Optimal rates. 

If you want to eliminate the bottleneck, first you have to set a goal: Let's say i want to play CS:GO at 200FPS in my 200Hz monitor. Then, you buy your PC with that goal in mind. If you have 200FPS then you achieved your goal. there are no bottlenecks in place. But beware, this does not mean bottleneck could not exist at 250fps, 300fps, etc. 

Same goes to other games. It's totally fine to have 200fps in CS:GO, but does not guarantee any degree of performance in let's say: Battlefront, Battlefield 1, etc.

Lastly if you are still puzzled, i give you this comparison. Imagine You build a car that can go up to 120 Miles per hour at full throttle. Can you expect it to go at the same speed on Snow, Sand, Dirt, up hill and down hill?. No, because terrain affects the maximum speed your car will go. Same things with computers, FPS and Different games. 

Cheers! 

4 minutes ago, faziten said:

things

Yeh, I tihnk I get it now. Thjanks for clearing that up. I was always foggy on how a bottleneck like that would work. Thanks!

Actually I think my main issue was in semantics. xD and the confusion thereof.