Need some advice on loop configuration

loop4.png 
I'm planning this following loop inside Nano S. Available space inside the case is limited, so this isn't straightforward.

- Front radiator: Alphacool UT60 with two Silverstone FHP-141s in pull.
- Rear radiator: Alphacool X-Flow ST30 with Scythe GT in pull. With this radiator I could circulate the fluid from bottom to top, or vice versa. This is good as I will have the reservoir mounted at the top.
- CPU block: EK Supremacy EVO Nickel Plexi with Haswell naked mount add-on.
- GPU block: -
- Barrow compression fittings, 10/16mm EK DuraClear hose.
- D5 pump with max. 120mm reservoir.

There's not any room at the bottom, so option would be to fit D5 pump at the top with max. 120mm reservoir that has outlet port at the bottom and at least two inlet ports at the other end for filling.

Filling?
1. Use reservoir top with multiple ports.
2. T-fitting to the radiator outlet and fill the loop through that.
3. Drill a hole to the roof and make pass-through to the reservoir.
4. ?

Draining?
1. Use the plug at the bottom of the radiator
2. ?

23 minutes ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

-snip-

I think a pump/res combo at the top would work and look best in your situtaion. Why such a thick radiator at the front? You colud probably fit a slim one at the front and to then have a pump/res combo standing like in Jayz2cents' build . I wouldn't recommend EK compression fittings, yes they look nice but can come loose if you mess around with tubing already attached and you can actually cut up for fingers when threading them in as I have.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

you can nix (get rid of) that 120 x-flow radiator. literally no reason to use that component.

the 280x60 can easily support a voltage overclocked CPU and GPU and still use a sub 1200rpm fan set.

8 hours ago, vong said:

I think a pump/res combo at the top would work and look best in your situtaion. Why such a thick radiator at the front? You colud probably fit a slim one at the front and to then have a pump/res combo standing like in Jayz2cents' build . I wouldn't recommend EK compression fittings, yes they look nice but can come loose if you mess around with tubing already attached and you can actually cut up for fingers when threading them in as I have.

Thought I could utilize that space as much as possible, as I can't fit radiator at the top due to mobo's VRM daughterboard :(

I could get Barrow (non-branded Bitspower) fittings for even cheaper than EK fittings, many seem to favor those.

7 hours ago, airdeano said:

you can nix (get rid of) that 120 x-flow radiator. literally no reason to use that component.

the 280x60 can easily support a voltage overclocked CPU and GPU and still use a sub 1200rpm fan set.

Well yeh I could consider that, also removing that would allow more room for the reservoir/pump.

4 hours ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

Thought I could utilize that space as much as possible, as I can't fit radiator at the top due to mobo's VRM daughterboard :(

I could get Barrow (non-branded Bitspower) fittings for even cheaper than EK fittings, many seem to favor those.

Ah well if you can't fit one on top then no problems. Yeah I'd go for barrow fittings, have never used them but if they're anything like Bitspower then they're good.

I agree with airdeano's idea of using a water tank. I had one of those XSPC water tanks and it served me well although you can't completely drain the system without taking it out.

Main PC CPU: 7700K, MOBO: Asus Strix, GPU: Aorus Extreme 3080, PSU: EVGA Supernova G2 750, RAM: Corsair Vengeance 16GB Storage: 970 Evo 1tb

Lounge PC CPU: 4790K MOBO: Asus Hero VII GPU: EVGA 3060 Ti PSU: Corsair RM650 RAM: Kingston HyperX 16gb Storage: 970 Evo 1TB

Updated the OP with new illustrative picture.

I'm afraid that there's not enough room at the bottom for the pump+watertank, because of the 150mm modular psu and all the cable clutter.

Ditched the idea about the rear radiator, which means that D5 pump+res -combo will certainly fit at the top with max. 120mm tubular reservoir.

For filling I could probably use a reservoir top like this with multiple ports:
ek-res-x3-top-v2_800.jpg

Measured the space between the psu wiring and the radiator fans and it's >60mm, so mounting anything at the bottom is not an option.

All of the pump+res -combos I've been looking have the reservoir-to-pump -outlet port at the middle, which means that if the fluid level gets any below ~50%, the pump will end up sucking air.
I've been thinking about EK-XTOP Revo D5, then find a reservoir that has outlet port at the bottom and at least two inlet ports at the other end.

One option for draining the loop would be to use this plug at the bottom of the radiator, but it would require drilling a hole to the case.

350x700px-LL-6b30c83e_982_3.jpeg

• 3 weeks later...

ce8e155c91.jpg

I decided to use male-to-male rotary fitting between the reservoir and pump top, this way I can make the ports line up very nicely.

The chrome tube inside the reservoir which feeds the fluid is removable, should I place it at the top, middle or at the bottom so that the fluid flows to the pump more directly? Or would that create too much splashing/air bubbles?

The point of water cooling is that the case stays cool. Why are you pushing hot air from the radiator into the case?

The problem with your build is using such a big radiator in such a small case. Your case has

Front: 2 – 120/140 mm fans (included is 1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP14 fan, 1000 RPM speed)

Rear: 1 – 120 mm fan (included is 1 Fractal Design Dynamic GP12 fan, 1200 RPM speed)

Top: 2 - 120/140 mm fan (not included) 

Bottom: 1 – 120 mm fan (not included)

Flip all 3 fans around and have the radiator pushing hot air out. The gentle Typhoon pushing air in and add 2 more fans pushing air in for a total of 3. 3 intake fans is the optimal amount before you get diminishing returns. If you wanted to you could add another exhaust fan just so it would match 3 intake 3 exhaust.

And how you tube it doesn't matter, tubing it to go CPU - Rad - GPU or vice versa will get you a little better temp on your 2nd component because if you went GPU - CPU the water that is warmed from the GPU is being warmed again by the CPU so the CPU will be a little hotter but that wont really matter much. Just do what looks the best.

Have you already bought the 60mm thick Radiator? Can you return it to buy a thinner one?

But I guess since your res is at the top, the drain port on the radiator is pretty darn useful.

Since you said the bottom has no space, I'm guessing you cannot put a fan at the bottom as well as how do you plan on draining the loop if you have no space at the bottom? Drilling a hole in the case or unscrewing the radiator each time you want to drain?

-----

I would just suggest have 3 intake fans, back and top, and the 2 exhaust from the radiator as the only changes.

Two thumbs up on you drawing. I like your idea, I would reverse the air flow and blow the hot air out. What about cutting a hole big enough in the roof to run the res vertical?

Hit the Funny Button!    :D     The more you press it the funnier you get  :)

---------------------------------------------->

Projekt Wasserturm  Office/Game Room Remodel

11 hours ago, phongle123 said:

The point of water cooling is that the case stays cool. Why are you pushing hot air from the radiator into the case?

For me personally the main point is that I can keep the components that I'm actively cooling, cool as possible. I don't think it's an issue as long as you have adequate amount of air exhausting the case

Flip all 3 fans around and have the radiator pushing hot air out. The gentle Typhoon pushing air in and add 2 more fans pushing air in for a total of 3. 3 intake fans is the optimal amount before you get diminishing returns. If you wanted to you could add another exhaust fan just so it would match 3 intake 3 exhaust.

That way the air has no direct path to exhaust, hot air would get suffocated and stuck behind the front panel, also I would lose the fan filtering. I don't have any space at all to mount fans at the top, since the pump/res is mounted there.

Since you said the bottom has no space, I'm guessing you cannot put a fan at the bottom as well as how do you plan on draining the loop if you have no space at the bottom? Drilling a hole in the case or unscrewing the radiator each time you want to drain?

There's just enough room for 92mm fan at the bottom. Right now drilling a hole for the drain plug is the most viable option, it would be convenient as it's the lowest point of the loop.

8 hours ago, Eddie Current said:

Two thumbs up on you drawing. I like your idea, I would reverse the air flow and blow the hot air out. What about cutting a hole big enough in the roof to run the res vertical?

You mean mounting the reservoir outside of the case? I've decided to keep the removable panel mounted on the case, as it hides the screws and also keeps dust and noise out.

The big rad is fine. Low fpi so the airflow will be great. Can't conpain about dumping hot air in the case when it's gonna be less then having an open air cooler and regular CPU fan doing the exact same thing. Thus the components will still be cooler. 

If you can get a multi port top I would do that. Add a fitting and some hose with a funnel at the end and fill the system. Gravity will do the most. Then run it and top it off as it bleeds. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

1 minute ago, Mick Naughty said:

If you can get a multi port top I would do that. Add a fitting and some hose with a funnel at the end and fill the system. Gravity will do the most. Then run it and top it off as it bleeds. 

The reservoir I got has two extra ports, one has temperature sensor connected and the another one is not utilized, so it's just plugged. I could temporarily connect a piece of hose with funnel on it and fill it that way.

8 hours ago, maybethisnamewillwork said:

That way the air has no direct path to exhaust, hot air would get suffocated and stuck behind the front panel, also I would lose the fan filtering. I don't have any space at all to mount fans at the top, since the pump/res is mounted there.

While the front plate itself has no holes or mesh or opening, the side near the front are still a portion of the front panel and the front looks like it is made of some sort of metal so it will also help to distribute heat. So there are ports of the left and right side that will exhaust heat.

No, mount the res in the same place you have it,  but install it vertically have just the top on the res exposed just beyond the top of your case. Or plumb the top of your res to be your fill port. Just a suggestion!

loop4b.fw.png

15 hours ago, phongle123 said:

While the front plate itself has no holes or mesh or opening, the side near the front are still a portion of the front panel and the front looks like it is made of some sort of metal so it will also help to distribute heat. So there are ports of the left and right side that will exhaust heat.

Flipping the fans is a prospect, as I can just flip them without making any changes to the loop.

13 hours ago, Eddie Current said:

No, mount the res in the same place you have it,  but install it vertically have just the top on the res exposed just beyond the top of your case. Or plumb the top of your res to be your fill port. Just a suggestion!

Could possibly do that, there's also enough room for just the reservoir in front of the upper radiator fan.
But of course this needs to be configured so that the water level inside the reservoir stays above the pump inlet.

Here's another option, pretty traditional setup.

loop4c.fw.png

• 2 weeks later...

Okay it's all finished now, system has been running over 48 hours without any leaks (yet) :)
I managed to fit the pump at the bottom and attached the reservoir to front of the fan. Filling and draining is now easy and yet it doesn't interfere with longer graphics cards. I got 3-way splitter connected between the reservoir and pump inlet, one end works as a drain plug.

Didn't add gpu to the loop as this 1050 Ti has been serving my needs just fine, and it's so low power that it's nonsense to watercool. If I feel like upgrading to something I will probably buy some Vega card with HBM memory when they get released.

1be117a740.jpg

Temperature testing:
4790K 5GHz 1.335V
22°C ambient
Fans ~1000rpm
Pump speed 75% / ~3200rpm

With heatspreader (delidded):
10 minutes idle -> 10 minutes x264 Stability Test
1bca469df1.png
Max. core temps 66~72°C

Removed the heatspreader; I used EK naked Ivy/Haswell mounting hardware and cutted 0.5mm thick thermal pad to fit around the cpu substrate to spread the pressure even.
Tried this "ICE" delid die guard and it didn't give adequate pressure to collapse the socket pins, so it refused to post and just gave 00 post code:
1c352e9e9d.jpg

Without heatspreader:
10 minutes idle -> 10 minutes x264 Stability Test
1bca4f4125.png
Max. core temps 57~64°C

Was expecting the temps to be a bit lower, but I'm still satisfied.
The D5 pump is great, I can't hear it over the fan noise and overall the whole system has pleasant acoustics.