Mirror foil on basement plate?

ramm

I had an idea about mirror foil on the basement plate of your case. I'm wondering if it's do-able without folds and bubbles or is it impossible to make perfectly straight?

Does anyone have experience with something like this?

It should look pretty cool I guess, you could see the fans on your graphics cards which you normally can't really see so it would add a nice dimension to your case

2 minutes ago, ramm said:

I had an idea about mirror foil on the basement plate of your case. I'm wondering if it's do-able without folds and bubbles or is it impossible to make perfectly straight?

It should look pretty cool I guess, you could see the fans on your graphics cards which you normally can't really see so it would add a nice dimension to your case

I have no experience but I remember seeing it done somewhere, perhaps professionally. Why don't you look into non-PC-specific uses of the stuff and how it's done, then figure out how to use it for your purpose. I would imagine that you'd want to remove the PSU shroud altogether, apply the covering over the whole thing similar to a vinyl wrap and then trim it and reinstall the shroud. Good luck, it sounds awesome!

2 hours ago, Armadillito said:

I have no experience but I remember seeing it done somewhere, perhaps professionally. Why don't you look into non-PC-specific uses of the stuff and how it's done, then figure out how to use it for your purpose. I would imagine that you'd want to remove the PSU shroud altogether, apply the covering over the whole thing similar to a vinyl wrap and then trim it and reinstall the shroud. Good luck, it sounds awesome!

thanks, yeah i thought it would be best to remove it entirely. The thing is i'm not quite sure if the foil they sell online is visiible if you apply it to a black surface. I figure you need to have actual mirror foil, most foil you find is for car windows so i'm not sure if those show a mirror effect on a dark black surface

5 hours ago, ramm said:

If you want it to be perfectly flat and bubble free I would recommend to look for a reflective vinyl wrap over foil tape or such since they would be easier to flatten and not have crinkles in the metal foil. 

thanks for the tips guys

i will look for it but its kinda difficult since I only get car window foil results, or it looks more like cheap household foil and it only reflects a bit (no mirror effect)

Will let you know how it looks once I get it

On 1/16/2017 at 5:31 AM, ramm said:

thanks for the tips guys

i will look for it but its kinda difficult since I only get car window foil results, or it looks more like cheap household foil and it only reflects a bit (no mirror effect)

Will let you know how it looks once I get it

https://www.amazon.com/12x60Chrome-Mirror-Silver-Sticker-Self-adhesive/dp/B00LY81CAY/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1484701820&sr=8-4&keywords=mirror+vinyl+wrap

On 18-1-2017 at 2:11 AM, jonnylaw13 said:

thanks, that looks more like an actual mirror indeed

a bit expensive though and they dont sent it to my country anyway, but now i know where to look. I hope they pack is securely though, a friend once ordered stickers and when they arrived they were bend and all

12 hours ago, ramm said:

thanks, that looks more like an actual mirror indeed

a bit expensive though and they dont sent it to my country anyway, but now i know where to look. I hope they pack is securely though, a friend once ordered stickers and when they arrived they were bend and all

there's countries amazon doesn't ship to?! Wow didn't know that! At least you have a reference now for your searches