PC shutting down randomly (not consistent)

nunocv

I built a Pc for a friend with this specs:

i5 6400, 8gb ram, ms h110i pro, ssd uv400 120, hdd 500gb, seasonic s12ii 520w, CM N200 (case), msi rx 470 gaming x 4gb.

He has an AOC monitor 22' with FreeSync.

He has the pc for 1 week, and during this week, in 2 different days (maybe 3 days beetween one and the other) when he turned the pc on it was fine, he started Fifa 17 and after some minutes of playing it would shut off without warning, no windows turning of, nothing, just shutting down hlike if the power went down. After that he would turn the pc on again and it would be fine, playing Fifa and Overwatch, not a problem whatsoever.

So what can this be?
I have my suspicions:

-PSU fan turned up and overheating for some reason;

-CPU fan not starting and cpu overheating, what I dont bealieve, because it would be more consistent with the shutdowns no?

-PC connected in  triple electrical socket, that is connected to a powerline with passthrough that is connected to the wall socket.

I would appreciate some opinions.
Thanks!

Why did I study Haskell? 

So the screen doesn't freeze or make any sound(s) before it shuts down? If so, I would think it's a PSU problem. And if you just built that PC, you should still have warranty and warranty is your best friend in most occasions. 

"May your frame rates be high and your temperatures low"

I misread titles/posts way too often--correct me if I don't.

If you think the CPU fan isn't spinning then just look at when the PC boots up to see if it is. What wattage is the power supply, it could be not high enough. Also try plugging in the Pc directly to the wall without the wall adapted.

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

7 minutes ago, ShadowArk said:

If you think the CPU fan isn't spinning then just look at when the PC boots up to see if it is. What wattage is the power supply, it could be not high enough. Also try plugging in the Pc directly to the wall without the wall adapted.

It is 520W, its enough wattage... He will try plugging it directly. If it still goes down and the fans are all working, could it be the PSU?

Why did I study Haskell? 

5 minutes ago, nunocv said:

It is 520W, its enough wattage... He will try plugging it directly. If it still goes down and the fans are all working, could it be the PSU?

Possibly, Have you checked if the CPU fan starts up? If it doesn't then that's likely the problem. If it does then its a problem with your PSU, probably get it exchanged for a new one if its under warranty, that way you can eliminate something from the problem. But from past experience having a triple wall adapted can lead to power shortages if they are not well made.

Edited by ShadowArk
Spelling Mistake

MochPot: AMD Ryzen 5 2600, 16GB 3200MHz DDR4, ASRock X370 Fatality K7, 8GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 1070, 256gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD, Corsair RM750x, Corsair Carbide 275R, Windows 10 Pro

ZenServerRequiem: AMD Ryzen 3 2200g, 32GB 3200MHz DDR4, MSI B450 Gaming Plus, 4GB Nvidia GeForce GTX 960, 2GB Nvidia Quadro P400, 500gb Salvaged Intel Rando NVME SSD (Cache Drive only), 3 x Seagate Baracuda 2TB, Corsair CX500, Corsair Carbine 750T, Limetech Unraid (Running Plex, Jackett, Sonarr, WireShark, Duck DNS, Ubuntu Server VM for MC server)

Sudden power failure points to a number of things (I'm assuming there is no blue screen). In order of most likely to leas likely.

-CPU is overheating and entering thermal shut-down (this doesn't explain why it's fine after the restart though).

-Exceeding a limit with the power supply (something may be trying to pull too much power suddenly and it is shutting down to prevent damage).

-Damaged/dying processor (it's still new but still a possibility).

-Damaged/dying motherboard

-Damaged/dying GPU (these last two could possibly be bad capacitors you should check for bulging or leaking caps if possible).

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

9 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Sudden power failure points to a number of things (I'm assuming there is no blue screen). In order of most likely to leas likely.

-CPU is overheating and entering thermal shut-down (this doesn't explain why it's fine after the restart though).

-Exceeding a limit with the power supply (something may be trying to pull too much power suddenly and it is shutting down to prevent damage).

-Damaged/dying processor (it's still new but still a possibility).

-Damaged/dying motherboard

-Damaged/dying GPU (these last two could possibly be bad capacitors you should check for bulging or leaking caps if possible).

what about the PSU receiving bad power from the socket, or not enough power? And even the psu being defect

Why did I study Haskell? 

2 minutes ago, nunocv said:

what about the PSU receiving bad power from the socket, or not enough power? And even the psu being defect

Try another socket if you think its bad wall power. If the power supply is defective return it, that is if its under warranty.

1 minute ago, nunocv said:

Bad power is a possibility, but is usually really low on the list especially if you live in the US or western EU. It becomes more relevant if you live near industrial plants of some kind. A cheap volt meter can be left in the wall and monitored for sharp sudden drops in voltage. If it drops below 100V you should call your electricity provider because that is way out of spec and not supposed to happen ever. A decent battery backup unit will have line monitoring and power factor correction built in to compensate.

A bad PSU is a more likely possibility but is difficult to test for without another unit on hand.

Intel Xeon 1650 V0 (4.4GHz @1.4V), ASRock X79 Extreme6, 32GB of HyperX 1866, Sapphire Nitro+ 5700XT, Silverstone Redline (black) RL05BB-W, Crucial MX500 500GB SSD, TeamGroup GX2 512GB SSD, WD AV-25 1TB 2.5" HDD with generic Chinese 120GB SSD as cache, x2 Seagate 2TB SSHD(RAID 0) with generic Chinese 240GB SSD as cache, SeaSonic Focus Plus Gold 850, x2 Acer H236HL, Acer V277U be quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4, Logitech K120, Tecknet "Gaming" mouse, Creative Inspire T2900, HyperX Cloud Flight Wireless headset, Windows 10 Pro 64 bit

34 minutes ago, DragonTamer1 said:

Bad power is a possibility, but is usually really low on the list especially if you live in the US or western EU. It becomes more relevant if you live near industrial plants of some kind. A cheap volt meter can be left in the wall and monitored for sharp sudden drops in voltage. If it drops below 100V you should call your electricity provider because that is way out of spec and not supposed to happen ever. A decent battery backup unit will have line monitoring and power factor correction built in to compensate.

A bad PSU is a more likely possibility but is difficult to test for without another unit on hand.

Thing is, the power socket is a powerline passthrough with another the pc and monitor connected to it

Why did I study Haskell?