Do I have to have played older Zelda games to understand The legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild

ImRyan

never played a zelda game before but The legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild looks amazing

thanks for your help

No, I do not think it is necessary :) but if of course you have access to other zelda games it might be interesting to experience them. My personal favourite is Majora's Mask but it is quite perculiar, if you are a complete Zelda noob I think it would be best to start with ocarina of time or why not Wind Waker.

Enjoy :)

8 hours ago, Skydiver said:

No, I do not think it is necessary :) but if of course you have access to other zelda games it might be interesting to experience them. My personal favourite is Majora's Mask but it is quite perculiar, if you are a complete Zelda noob I think it would be best to start with ocarina of time or why not Wind Waker.

Enjoy :)

thanks

In the strictest sense, no. There is a 'Zelda Timeline', but I'd argue the games are more like spiritual sequels than chronologically-bound entries in a unified story.  Nintendo is going to be throwing previous games and longtime fans a lot of bones, most of which will be appreciated by people who are merely acquainted with previous games, and are not necessarily total Zelda geeks.

However, if you appreciate video game design and technology, I would strongly recommend playing a few Zelda games to understand where it's coming from. You don't even have to play them to completion, but I believe Breath of the Wild is best experienced by someone who has some idea of previous Zelda games.

Twilight Princess looks to be the immediate precursor to Breath of the Wild, and appears to have inspired a lot of the game world. Rather than the more recent Skyward Sword, I would recommend giving this a go.

And then there's the very first 3D Zelda- Ocarina of Time. Just as Breath of the Wild is 'redefining the Zelda franchise', Ocarina of Time did so almost 20 years ago. I would strongly recommend giving it a go.

8 hours ago, Aereldor said:

In the strictest sense, no. There is a 'Zelda Timeline', but I'd argue the games are more like spiritual sequels than chronologically-bound entries in a unified story.  

However, if you appreciate video game design and technology, I would strongly recommend playing a few Zelda games to understand where it's coming from. You don't even have to play them to completion, but I believe Breath of the Wild is best experienced by someone who has some idea of previous Zelda games.

Twilight Princess looks to be the immediate precursor to Breath of the Wild, and appears to have inspired a lot of the game world. Rather than the more recent Skyward Sword, I would recommend giving this a go.

And then there's the very first 3D Zelda- Ocarina of Time. Just as Breath of the Wild is 'redefining the Zelda franchise', Ocarina of Time did so almost 20 years ago. I would strongly recommend giving it a go.

thanks

It's also worth noting that while pretty much all the games can be played in isolation they do always throw in references. Nothing necessary for the game but things that fans of the series will get a bit of a kick out of. As a quick example if you watch the demo of Breath of the Wild you'll see Zelda walk out onto a pointy cliff and look into the horizon. If you're new to the series this won't mean much but if you're been a fan of the series?

legend_of_zelda_conceptart_tcdh9.jpg

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing