General tips for Bloodborne

PackYourBaggins

So I just got a PS4 a couple days ago, and picked up Bloodborne with it because I'm a huge (Albeit kinda new) Dark Souls fan, (Played and beat all 3. Didn't play Demon Souls) so I'm definitely battle-hardened and battle-ready for this game. I think so far I've played about, maybe a bit more than 2 hours into the game, and I am really loving it, but is there a general rule of thumb in this game? I wanna know as little as possible, but at the same time, I don't wanna cripple myself by doing something dumb early on. Are there certain stats I should I focus, and certain ones I should avoid? Certain weapon groups that are better than others? (Dex was typically better than Strength in Dark Souls 1 for example) I just want some general tips if there are any useful ones. 

if you've played dark souls games, you'll be ok in Bloodborne.

this is an offensive game. avoid going into the defensive too much. unless you're fleeing

learn to parry. use a firearm (or a trick weapon that has it) and engage visceral attacks. some firearms and trick weapons trigger parries slightly better/easier than others. 

keep a nice stockpile of blood vials, all the time. excess is stored in the hub 

do some chalice dungeons. especially near end-game

there's lots more but you can just Google it 

3 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

if you've played dark souls games, you'll be ok in Bloodborne.

this is an offensive game. avoid going into the defensive too much. unless you're fleeing

learn to parry. use a firearm (or a trick weapon that has it) and engage visceral attacks. 

keep a nice stockpile of blood vials, all the time. excess is stored in the hub and replenish supply every time you visit the hub

do some chalice dungeons. especially near end-game

there's lots more but you can just Google it 

Alright. Haven't gotten to what ever a chalice dungeon is, but sounds fun. And are guns useful in this besides the visceral attacks? Like, is it worth upgrading them to output more damage? Are the certain guns I should look for, and certain ones to not bother with?

20 hours ago, RelentlessN7 said:

Alright. Haven't gotten to what ever a chalice dungeon is, but sounds fun. And are guns useful in this besides the visceral attacks? Like, is it worth upgrading them to output more damage? Are the certain guns I should look for, and certain ones to not bother with?

Aside from Viscerals guns are useful for baiting enemies (like throwing a pebble) or stunning enemies so you can get in close. They aren't meant for damage because this game wants you to be aggressive and go in for the fights, unlike Dark Souls which gives you a shield and allows you the option to attack enemies from range.

Now the choice of gun depends on your build because certain guns work better on certain builds. Generally speaking you can't go wrong with either of the first two guns you get access to. All guns do the same thing but they cater towards different playstyles. The pistol is short delay, and easy to set up viscerals with. Blunderbuss is slower, but has a wide spread that lets you stun enemies more easily. Take your pick which style you think suits you better. I prefer the pistol because I like taking advantage of visceral attacks whenever I can. It helps out tremendously for some bosses, but the blunderbuss lets you stun erratic moving enemies (even groups at a time).

I didn't play the DLC so i cant say for any of the weapon content in that game, however two note worthy guns aside from the starter guns are the Cannon and Evelynn. The Cannon requires a LOT of Strength to use, but lets you fire high damage cannonballs (at most you'll get maybe 3 shots if you ration your bullets out). The Evelynn is like the Hunter Pistol and lets you do respectable ranged damage despite everything I said about guns up until now. The only drawback is that the damage scales with the Bloodtinge stat (technically all guns scale with bloodtinge for damage, but the Evelynn is the only one that has high enough scaling to be taken advantage of). If you go with a bloodtinge build then you have no excuse not to use the Evelynn (however Bloodtinge is a more intermediate-advanced build).

Definitely upgrade the gun whenever you can, AFTER your main weapon.

7 hours ago, Leetee said:

Aside from Viscerals guns are useful for baiting enemies (like throwing a pebble) or stunning enemies so you can get in close. They aren't meant for damage because this game wants you to be aggressive and go in for the fights, unlike Dark Souls which gives you a shield and allows you the option to attack enemies from range.

Now the choice of gun depends on your build because certain guns work better on certain builds. Generally speaking you can't go wrong with either of the first two guns you get access to. All guns do the same thing but they cater towards different playstyles. The pistol is short delay, and easy to set up viscerals with. Blunderbuss is slower, but has a wide spread that lets you stun enemies more easily. Take your pick which style you think suits you better. I prefer the pistol because I like taking advantage of visceral attacks whenever I can. It helps out tremendously for some bosses, but the blunderbuss lets you stun erratic moving enemies (even groups at a time).

I didn't play the DLC so i cant say for any of the weapon content in that game, however two note worthy guns aside from the starter guns are the Cannon and Evelynn. The Cannon requires a LOT of Strength to use, but lets you fire high damage cannonballs (at most you'll get maybe 3 shots if you ration your bullets out). The Evelynn is like the Hunter Pistol and lets you do respectable ranged damage despite everything I said about guns up until now. The only drawback is that the damage scales with the Bloodtinge stat (technically all guns scale with bloodtinge for damage, but the Evelynn is the only one that has high enough scaling to be taken advantage of). If you go with a bloodtinge build then you have no excuse not to use the Evelynn (however Bloodtinge is a more intermediate-advanced build).

Definitely upgrade the gun whenever you can, AFTER your main weapon.

Thanks for the tips. I think I've already found my end-game weapon with Ludwig's Holy Sword. (I know, shocking!) I do hope to get the DLC however, cause I see it has the Moonlight Sword in it, which I've been a huge fan of in the Dark Souls games.