How to know at least the temperature sensors on your mobo are broken.

corrado33

I've resurrected this PC, installed a different CPU in it, freaked out a bit about the CPU temp. After a while and physically feeling the CPU, I realized the temp sensor must be messed up.

This motherboard needed to have a few capacitors replaced on it so I did so (and significantly stabilized the computer.) however, I must have missed a few because some of the sensors sill aren't even close to being right. Case in point.Capture.PNG

The GPU is correct, and the HD0 is correct. (CPU was crunching BOINC) and the headless computer is sitting out in my garage (well above the dew point, stop worrying.) But the rest of the temperatures are incorrect. Core 0 and Core 1 have been those exact temperatures the entire time, unchanging, regardless of load. So yeah. Definitely not reading correctly. Whatever, computer still works fine.

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

If you can stick a temp sensor on the cooler, or even hit it with a laser thermometer. The temp of whatever cooler you put on your cpu (assuming there's any form of thermal paste) shouldn't be significantly higher than your cpu temp.

You must be running the PC in very cold room if HD0 and GPU are correct. 10C means room temp is under 10C. I would be worried about condensation.

Anyway, how does BIOS read temps?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

17 hours ago, LoGiCalDrm said:

You must be running the PC in very cold room if HD0 and GPU are correct. 10C means room temp is under 10C. I would be worried about condensation.

Anyway, how does BIOS read temps?

It IS in a cold room. As I mentioned, it's in the garage... a good 25 degrees above the dew point, no worries there. (It's very dry here.) 

There's no way in hell the CPU is the temperature it's reading, or the system for that matter.

Look at it this way. How would the cores measure 48 and 55 when the cpu measures 70? Package temp is almost always lower than core temp. 

No, I've been running HWMonitor on it for 24 hours (overnight) and the temp for the CPU and motherboard hasn't changed. 

BIOS temps are also off. It reports the CPU as 51 degrees, unchanging.