are you buying the nintendo switch ?

are you buying the nintendo switch  

69 members have voted

1. 1. are you buying the nintendo switch?

• yes
    • no
    • buy after price drop

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

Meant to mark it as informative.

I'll be getting the Switch for my bedroom, but would like to have a dock for the hospital.

Oh ya.  For one person in two locations, another Dock would be useful.  

I was initially incorrect with my price quote.  I edited the post.  The dock is $90. 

The last Nintendo console I had was the Gamecube and the Gameboy Advance SP. They decided they wanted to unify their mobile market and their console market and this is how they did it. We'll only see Switch successors in the future in my opinion.

I'm definitely thinking I'm a little overdue to spread a little wallet love their way.

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

The last Nintendo console I had was the Gamecube and the Gameboy Advance SP.

And such a fine pair of systems those were.  After I finish with Fire Emblem on my 3DS, I'm going to give Battalion Wars a go.  It looks like fun. 

2 hours ago, imreloadin said:

They decided they wanted to unify their mobile market and their console market and this is how they did it. We'll only see Switch successors in the future in my opinion.

I have mixed feelings.  I kinda like the idea of one-console-to-rule-them-all, but I'm not in a hurry to see software development for the 3DS drop off. 

NOntendo

CPU i7 6700k MB  MSI Z170A Pro Carbon GPU Zotac GTX980Ti amp!extreme RAM 16GB DDR4 Corsair Vengeance 3k CASE Corsair 760T PSU Corsair RM750i MOUSE Logitech G9x KB Logitech G910 HS Sennheiser GSP 500 SC Asus Xonar 7.1 MONITOR Acer Predator xb270hu Storage 1x1TB + 2x500GB Samsung 7200U/m - 2x500GB SSD Samsung 850EVO

6 hours ago, ARikozuM said:

I was thinking about doing that. Do you happen to know if the dock is sold separately?

Speaking of this I think there's maybe a more important question to ask. Do you even have to buy the official dock? Because the dock basically just does USB Type C to HDMI, Power and USB. There are photos of the back of it and there's basically nothing going on behind it other than cable management. Which I expected but it's still strange to actually see it.

nintendo_switch_dock_back_960.png

My guess is you can just buy a generic USB Type C -> HDMI adaptor with charging capabilities. I don't think it's anything more than that. So I'm far less worried about how much the dock will cost. Sure the docking mechanism looks slick and it's going to look nice placed in it. But it really does look like this is all pretty standard stuff.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

1 hour ago, skywake said:

snip

I don't really mind buying a 2nd dock since I'll be using for my desk at the hospital. Having a designated area for charging and video out is a good expense to me since I frequently work out at farms and being able to drop the device into a bay will make my rests that much easier.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

I will once I can get my hands on one.  Hopefully any shortages won't be too bad or long lasting. 

I will be getting it.

It seems like Nintendo is the only true console anymore. Sony and Microsoft are just PC wannabees with their consoles. Constantly trying to play catch up with the much more powerful, popular, and profitable PC GAMING. But Nintendo knows its place and focuses on making a unique wholly Nintendo gaming experience.

I don't know how much i'll be investing in it. Seems like the controllers are kind of stupid expensive and not crazy about having to pay for online. Or having to use my smartphone to use voice chat. First step is to see just how good these controllers are.

I own a NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, Wii and Wii U. So, yes. I"m getting a switch. I want one with the red and blue controllers.

Might be stupid but I already pre-ordered it. I'm incredibly hyped right now and I think it's going to be a cool system.

After getting my hands on it and playing a couple of games over the course of a few hours, I went from a no buy to a potential buy. It probably wont happen until sometime next year.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

My brother offered to pay half of it, and I'm really interested in it... So yea, after watching the Mario Odyssey trailer, I preordered it.

if you have to insist you think for yourself, i'm not going to believe you.

Got my preorder in. $452 CAD after tax. Rip :|

Build

Mobo: MSI B550 MAG Tomahawk  ||||| Ram: 32 GB GSkill Trident Z RGB ||||| CPU: Ryzen 5800X ||||| GPU: ASUS RTX 3080 TUF OC ||||| Mouse: Logitech G502 ||||| Headset: Sony WH1000XM3 ||||| Keyboard: Logitech G810 Orion Spectrum ||||| Monitors: Acer XG270HU & LG UltraGear 34GP83A-B ||||| AudioStuff: ONKYO DAC HA200 / Audio Techinca ath-ad900x / MXL TEMPO KR USB Condenser Microphone ||||| Storage: 4 TB WD Black --- 2 TB WD Red --- Toshiba 258 GB M.2  ||||| Custom Loop -  Radiators: 3x360 Rad ||||| Case: LianLi O11d XL Black ||||| PSU: Seasonic X series GOLD 1250w

Laptop: Dell XPS 15 9570 4k With a Logitech MX Master

Paid to play online? That's a definite NO NO for me personally

I'm already paying for PSN for my ps4, so no need to add extra weight to other things I have to pay

Don't call me a nerd, it makes me look slightly smarter than you

I'll seriously consider it when they announce a mainline Pokemon game... assuming this takes over from 3DS series. At best they're every year, so unlikely before November, and I'd guess probably 2018 more realistic.

Other games are a maybe, but they're going to have to work to sell it to me.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

Yeah I'm getting it. Do I care that there aren't too many games yet? Its whatever. I got a 3DS during the early stages of its release. Didn't have too spectacular of a library when I got it but do I regret getting it? Nah. Games are gonna come out anyway so it doesn't make a big difference if I buy early or buy later. Maybe saving some money but during the timespan between when it comes out to when it has a price drop is so long that it probably doesn't even matter. If you have money and will get it eventually why not? Thats the mentality I have for it.

On 16/01/2017 at 6:04 PM, porina said:

I'll seriously consider it when they announce a mainline Pokemon game... assuming this takes over from 3DS series. At best they're every year, so unlikely before November, and I'd guess probably 2018 more realistic.

I read elsewhere that Switch will coexist with 3DS still. I guess I wont be getting Switch any time soon then.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

37 minutes ago, porina said:

I read elsewhere that Switch will coexist with 3DS still. I guess I wont be getting Switch any time soon then.

that's bs i remember when they said gameboy and ds will coexist.

2 hours ago, nerdslayer1 said:

that's bs i remember when they said gameboy and ds will coexist.

They also weren't expecting the DS to sell as well as they thought it would.

But the 3DS fits in more use cases than the Switch would. Like I dunno, I'd rather game on a device the size of a 3DS on the go than the Switch.

14 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

They also weren't expecting the DS to sell as well as they thought it would.

But the 3DS fits in more use cases than the Switch would. Like I dunno, I'd rather game on a device the size of a 3DS on the go than the Switch.

I'm still a 3DS user, mainly for Pokemon games. The size is coat pocket-able, but unless I have a coat on when cooler, it is no more portable than the Switch will be. Even the Wan show hoodie I use now doesn't really carry the 3DS well.

Since I am also a tablet gamer these days (nvidia shield), I'm not bothered about carrying that kinda size around. I'd really like to see Pokemon games go HD. 

N64, Golden Eye and Zelda made me fall in love with gaming but as the years go by i keep buying consoles but i must admit its really wearing thin, i got a WiiU for Zelda and never used it again after that, maybe i'll just watch a full playthrough on YouTube and give it a miss lol 

maybe after a pricedrop and when there are games that i want to play solo because f that yearly online fee

CPU:R7 5800X    Motherboard: asrock x470 taichi ultimate   RAM: 32GB G.Skill Ripjaws-V 2X16GB    GPU: Gigabyte GTX1080TI gaming oc 11g   Case: Corsair 600Q Storage: 1TB Samsung 870(boot), samsung 850evo 500GB, 2TB Corsair MX500, samsung 2TB 970 evo plus, WD 5TB black    PSU: Corsair AX860    CPU cooling: Corsair H105

Nope. Not until they have a killer gaming library of exclusives. If and when that happens I'll get one. I'm not interested in using it as a portable, so it has to really impress on the games, especially with the good controller costing $70. It also has to come down in price.

On 18/01/2017 at 7:34 AM, M.Yurizaki said:

Without Joycons attached the Switch is about the size of a 3DSXL but not as thick. Which is definitely not as portable as the 3DS and especially not the non-XL version but it's not tablet sized. Basically it's a portable device that's not pocketable. Kinda like the original Gameboy. And for a lot of consumers that's portable enough. If it wasn't the XL versions of the 3DS wouldn't outsell the smaller SKUs.

But consider this, if that's the only thing keeping the 3DS alive? It's not going to stay alive for long. Because Nintendo loves having multiple SKUs. A couple of years down the line if the Switch does well you just know there's going to be a Switch Lite, Switch Mini or Switch Pocket. It's going to happen. Soon after that the software releases for 3DS will slow down even more than they have already. They're just not going to pull that trigger until they've milked the 3DS line some more.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing