What's the best way to cool a Intel Cpu

LongDashund

So I got an Intel i5-6600(not k), and recently my temps skyrocketed(It went from 30C to 65C on all cores) while installing drivers for my graphics card. What cooler should I go with to avoid high temps, that can fit into a Thermalake Core V1? Anything will do, as long as it's better than the stock Intel fan. Thanks!

TDP on that chip is 65W (ARK is your friend). It's close to the limit of what a stock cooler is rated for. It is fine, but if you're regularly going to be maxing out your cpu (folding, content creation etc.) Then I'd recommend an aftermarket cooler. If you're going to be using it to play games, and read forum posts then you're fine with a stock cooler, and you can expect the temperature to spike on rare occasions.

12 minutes ago, LongDashund said:

So I got an Intel i5-6600(not k), and recently my temps skyrocketed(It went from 30C to 65C on all cores) while installing drivers for my graphics card. What cooler should I go with to avoid high temps, that can fit into a Thermalake Core V1? Anything will do, as long as it's better than the stock Intel fan. Thanks!

anything below 90 deg celcius is fine when you hit the 85 mark you should be worried though. i would suggest to go with something like the evo 212 as it will be queiter but honestly you are fine

Main PC | AMD R7 3700X | Noctua D14 | MSI RTX 2080 Super XS OC | Corsair Vengence LPX 32GB DDR4 3200MHz | MSI B550A Pro | 1TB PNY XLR8 NVMe SSD | Kingston A400 960GB SSD | 2TB Western Digital Green HDD | Fractal Design Define R6TG |

Laptop (Asus TUF FX505DY) | AMD R5 3550H | RX560X | Crucial DDR4 16GB 2400MHz | Western Digital SN550 256GB SSD | PNY CS900 960GB SSD |

Phone | Samsung S10 Lite (128GB + 128GB SD card) |

Other Cool Stuff | Steam Link | Sontronics Podcast Pro | NZXT Hue+ | Corsair K70 MK 2 (MX Brown) | Logitech G402 | HiSense A7300 43 Inch 4K TV | Logitech C920 | Ender 3 Pro with Bulleye Fan duct and BLTouch |Sony PS4 | Nintendo Switch 

Well the best way would be LN2 cooling. Secound best would be water loop.

But as long as your temps are under 80°C you are just okay.

And 65°C is perfect. When temps go over 80°C you should start to worry, but not before.

CPUs are meant to run at those temperatures, and there are a lot of studies/tests where they ran CPUs at 50°C, and other at 80°C for longer time span ... in the end both CPUs were just fine and no degrading.

Not sure where I found that article but if you google it, you should be able to dig it up.

Anyway, don't worry about temps when they are under 80°C.

Cheers!

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

65C is normal operating temp. After you are done installing everything, run Cinebench or 3Dmark and see how temp goes with them. If you are under 85C running those, you are fine for normal use.

Since it is locked chip, you don't need anything high end. If you have money for it, why not. From air coolers I can recommend Cryorig H7 and H5, Noctua's U12S and U14S, be Quiet! Pure Rock and Dark Rock 3. Going for AIO is unnecessary unless you are for looks.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv