AMD Mantle Graphics API Adopted by Various Developers

TOMPPIX

AMD today announced three new game developer partnerships for Mantle, its highly acclaimed, groundbreaking graphics API. Cloud Imperium Games, Eidos-Montréal, a part of the Square Enix Group, and Oxide Games are the latest game developers to join AMD in optimizing the way PC games are developed to extract maximum performance from a modern graphics architecture that spans desktop PCs, notebooks and consumer devices like tablets.

"AMD is proud to play an instrumental role in transforming the world of game development with Mantle," said Ritche Corpus, director of ISV gaming and alliances, AMD. "With the support and close collaboration between AMD and industry-leading game developers like Cloud Imperium, Eidos-Montréal and Oxide, Mantle can maximize optimization for highly anticipated PC titles, bringing an unparalleled gaming experience for players."

Cloud Imperium Games is currently developing "Star Citizen," the highly anticipated, crowd-funded PC space simulator from legendary game designer Chris Roberts.
"AMD's Mantle will allow us to extract more performance from an AMD Radeon GPU than any other graphics API," said Chris Roberts, CEO, Cloud Imperium Games. "Mantle is vitally important for a game like Star Citizen, which is being designed with the need for massive GPU horsepower. With Mantle, our team can spend more time achieving our perfect artistic vision, and less time worrying about whether or not today's gaming hardware will be ready to deliver it."

Eidos-Montréal is the studio behind "THIEF," an upcoming first-person stealth adventure set for release in February 2014. Eidos-Montréal also developed "DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION," an AMD Gaming Evolved title.

"Mantle lets you use AMD Radeon GPUs the way they are meant to be used, unlocking many new opportunities and increased CPU and GPU performance," said David Anfossi, studio head, Eidos-Montréal. "Because of this, Mantle is one of the most important changes to PC graphics in many years."

Helmed by industry veterans, Oxide Games is designing the new "Nitrous" engine for 64-bit, multi-core processors. 

"AMD's Mantle technology lets us get more out of the hardware than any other solution available," said Dan Baker, co-founder, Oxide Games. "Adding Mantle support to our multi-platform, 64-bit Nitrous engine realizes significant gains in performance on Mantle-enabled hardware without adding enormous development overhead."

Cloud Imperium Games, Eidos-Montréal and Oxide Games will join AMD and DICE in speaking about Mantle architecture and implementation at the AMD Developer Summit (APU 13), running Nov. 11-14 in San Jose, Calif. In addition, Oxide Games will be showing a public sneak preview of Mantle performance at the event.

For those interested, complimentary access to all APU 13 keynote sessions is available by registering online, in limited numbers while quantities last. Notable keynote speakers include: Dr. Lisa Su, senior vice president and general manager, Global Business Units, AMD; Johan Andersson, technical director, DICE; Dominic Mallinson, vice president, research and development, Sony; and Mark Papermaster, chief technology officer, AMD.

MantleHLSL.jpg

source guru3d

AMD today announced three new game developer partnerships for Mantle, its highly acclaimed, groundbreaking graphics API. Cloud Imperium Games, Eidos-Montréal, a part of the Square Enix Group, and Oxide Games are the latest game developers to join AMD in optimizing the way PC games are developed to extract maximum performance from a modern graphics architecture that spans desktop PCs, notebooks and consumer devices like tablets.

"AMD is proud to play an instrumental role in transforming the world of game development with Mantle," said Ritche Corpus, director of ISV gaming and alliances, AMD. "With the support and close collaboration between AMD and industry-leading game developers like Cloud Imperium, Eidos-Montréal and Oxide, Mantle can maximize optimization for highly anticipated PC titles, bringing an unparalleled gaming experience for players."

Cloud Imperium Games is currently developing "Star Citizen," the highly anticipated, crowd-funded PC space simulator from legendary game designer Chris Roberts.

"AMD's Mantle will allow us to extract more performance from an AMD Radeon GPU than any other graphics API," said Chris Roberts, CEO, Cloud Imperium Games. "Mantle is vitally important for a game like Star Citizen, which is being designed with the need for massive GPU horsepower. With Mantle, our team can spend more time achieving our perfect artistic vision, and less time worrying about whether or not today's gaming hardware will be ready to deliver it."

Eidos-Montréal is the studio behind "THIEF," an upcoming first-person stealth adventure set for release in February 2014. Eidos-Montréal also developed "DEUS EX: HUMAN REVOLUTION," an AMD Gaming Evolved title.

"Mantle lets you use AMD Radeon GPUs the way they are meant to be used, unlocking many new opportunities and increased CPU and GPU performance," said David Anfossi, studio head, Eidos-Montréal. "Because of this, Mantle is one of the most important changes to PC graphics in many years."

Helmed by industry veterans, Oxide Games is designing the new "Nitrous" engine for 64-bit, multi-core processors. 

"AMD's Mantle technology lets us get more out of the hardware than any other solution available," said Dan Baker, co-founder, Oxide Games. "Adding Mantle support to our multi-platform, 64-bit Nitrous engine realizes significant gains in performance on Mantle-enabled hardware without adding enormous development overhead."

Cloud Imperium Games, Eidos-Montréal and Oxide Games will join AMD and DICE in speaking about Mantle architecture and implementation at the AMD Developer Summit (APU 13), running Nov. 11-14 in San Jose, Calif. In addition, Oxide Games will be showing a public sneak preview of Mantle performance at the event.

For those interested, complimentary access to all APU 13 keynote sessions is available by registering online, in limited numbers while quantities last. Notable keynote speakers include: Dr. Lisa Su, senior vice president and general manager, Global Business Units, AMD; Johan Andersson, technical director, DICE; Dominic Mallinson, vice president, research and development, Sony; and Mark Papermaster, chief technology officer, AMD.

source guru3d

Bullshit... just give me the benchmarks already... PR talking all the way.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

YES, FUCKING, YES!

Star Citizen will have Mantle support!

It will also support PhysX.

][ CPU: Phenom II x6 1045t @3,7GHz ][ GPU: GTX 660 2GB ][ Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-MA770T-UD3P ][ RAM: 8GB @1450Mhz CL9 DDR3 ][ PSU: Chieftec 500AB A ][ Case: SilentiumPC Regnum L50 ][ CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Evo & Arctic MX4 ][

Nice can't wait :D

PC Specs: - *NZXT Phantom 410 Black/Orange* - *AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz* - *CM Hyper 212 EVO* - *Gigabyte 990FXA-UD3* - *Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mHz* - *Gigabyte 780 Ti* - *Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200rpm HDD* - *ModXStream PRO 600W PSU* -

Monitors: 2x BenQ GL2450 and 1x Some 22" 1080P Tv

YES, FUCKING, YES!

Star Citizen will have Mantle support!

VICTORY SCREECH! *the joke is you can't hear screeches in space*

R9-290X here i come!

You won't regret it :D BF4 looks so glorious and is so smooth even without Mantle. :DDD

This is awesome. Eidos-Montreal? That is just great. :D 

I'm glad some big names are really getting behind this. I mean, they are the only ones with the pockets deep enough to make it viable, but still. More push is better.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It might be PR fluff, but the way it comes across reading that,......seems is really beneficial.

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

This is really just corporate talk until we see real world performance numbers. I don't give a damn that they say it's faster than anything else, for all we know you can get a single frame more using Mantle than DirectX. However, if it is as good as they're hyping it up to be, well that's just awesome.

watch on-die driver control on Maxwell compete this thing

Watch people with AMD cards benefitting from Mantle for half a year before Maxwell is released :)

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

VICTORY SCREECH! *the joke is you can't hear screeches in space*

You won't regret it :D BF4 looks so glorious and is so smooth even without Mantle. :DDD

This is awesome. Eidos-Montreal? That is just great. :D 

I'm glad some big names are really getting behind this. I mean, they are the only ones with the pockets deep enough to make it viable, but still. More push is better.

How's the noise? Just wondering, also do you think the stickers on the sapphire 290X is easy to remove?

How's the noise? Just wondering, also do you think the stickers on the sapphire 290X is easy to remove?

Loud. Use headphones. Or turn down the fan speed maximum as well as the clock speed. 40% is quiet. 50% is what I call loud. 

I use headphones, so mine is set at 50%. I would do 100% but I fear for the life of the fan if I used it like that constantly. The noise wouldn't bother me. Headphones block it out."

Grab a blow dryer, heat up the sticker, peel it off. 

Don't worry about heat. The thing gets to 95C and survives. I don't think a hair dryer is going to hurt it.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

It's great to see developers getting behind Mantle! It this really pans out well, then I will get an R9-290X, especially if all the games I often play will support it! *cough* BF4 *cough*

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

Watch people with AMD cards benefitting from Mantle for half a year before Maxwell is released :)

Patience young padawan

Heaven's Society - Like Anime? Check us Out Here!

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It's great to see developers getting behind Mantle! It this really pans out well, then I will get an R9-290X, especially if all the games I often play will support it! *cough* BF4 *cough*

Oh my goodness, BF4 is so beautiful. 

Even without Mantle, I am running 1080p, Ultra settings, 2x MSAA with 120% resolution scale (super sampling), and my FPS is like 45 (guessing because it's smooth but I haven't checked the actual FPS yet). I love it. 

† Christian Member †

Oh my goodness, BF4 is so beautiful. 

Even without Mantle, I am running 1080p, Ultra settings, 2x MSAA with 120% resolution scale (super sampling), and my FPS is like 45 (guessing because it's smooth but I haven't checked the actual FPS yet). I love it. 

Just imagine it with Mantle! Any performance increase, is a performance increase in my book. - Whether it's 2fps or 10+fps.

Plus, when drivers mature and are more optimised, even more peformance could come in the 290X's favor. Either way, I really hope AMD get's this Mantle thing going! It could be the deciding factor between an nVidia card or AMD.

I read an article on here about Frostbite 3 supporting Mantle! Oh yes! Mirrors Edge 2, wooohooo! :P

I know this looks like little fanboy moment, however I think I'm right. AMD could have something bigger here.

CPU: Intel Core i5 2550K @ 4GHz | Cooler: Gelid Tranquillo Rev. 2 | Mobo: Gigabyte GA-Z68AP-D3

GPU: XFX 1GB HD6850 OC'd | SSD: OCZ Agility 3 60GB | HDD: Samsung 500GB | PSU: Corsair HX520W | Case: Zalman Z11+

Hoping that Mantle will perform as desired & extend the lifespan(Maximum/Almost Maximum on 1080p) of my 7950 until 20nm comes around :P

If Mantle is implemented early for SC then great, because the Dogfighting module is around the corner!

I read an article on here about Frostbite 3 supporting Mantle! Oh yes! Mirrors Edge 2, wooohooo! :P

Battlefront... imagine that game with destructible environments. Smashing the Endor forest while driving an AT-ST. Omg I can't wait for that.

144Hz goodness

Battlefront... imagine that game with destructible environments. Smashing the Endor forest while driving an AT-ST. Omg I can't wait for that.

Like I stated earlier, the 290X could just be the beginning. Once non references come out, drivers get better/mature, Mantle becomes implemente; the 290X could be a much better card.

I don't really care that Mantle is AMD.... tbh its a great innovation even if Nvidia came up with the idea..  its win win

the fact that my two 290x's in my system oblitirate anything is neither here nor there (without mantle)

((((inb4 Nvidia fanboys spurt 780ti))))

Intel I9-9900k (5Ghz) Asus ROG Maximus XI Formula | Corsair Vengeance 16GB DDR4-4133mhz | ASUS ROG Strix 2080Ti | EVGA Supernova G2 1050w 80+Gold | Samsung 950 Pro M.2 (512GB) + (1TB) | Full EK custom water loop |IN-WIN S-Frame (No. 263/500)

NIIIICE!!! If developers are adopting this, this should mean it has performance benefit, this is great news for all of us xD

The only thing is... Star Citizen, what i have read about it says that it will support mantle and physx, so why on earth can't we have both in this day and age, without software hacking and crosSLI wth configuration?

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

I don't really care that Mantle is AMD.... tbh its a great innovation even if Nvidia came up with the idea..  its win win

the fact that my two 290x's in my system oblitirate anything is neither here nor there (without mantle)

((((inb4 Nvidia fanboys spurt 780ti))))

Win Win ?? This is an awful idea. Did you forget the 3dfx glide days ? They killed it for a reason. Physx is stupid for the same reason. I am totally against designing games to run on just one brand of video card. This makes about as much sense as making games exclusive to just one console. PC gaming is finally gaining some traction in the industry. That last thing we need to do is throw fragmentation into the mix. I will 100% boycott any game studio that supports mantle. If someone wants to design an open source replacement to DirectX that can work on either camps cards, then fine. But having to code games in mulitple ways for mutiple cards is a waste and is the last thing pc gaming needs right now. Not to mention the consoles dont support mantle so yet another rift in the mix. Consoles have finally aligned themselves with pcs so we can all play the same games and be fat dumb and happy and now amd wants to distance themselves from that so its even harder to code games once for pc/xboxone/ps4. This is DOA.

Main Rig: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/58641-the-i7-950s-gots-to-go-updated-104/ | CPU: Intel i7-4930K | GPU: 2x EVGA Geforce GTX Titan SC SLI| MB: EVGA X79 Dark | RAM: 16GB HyperX Beast 2400mhz | SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256gb | HDD: 2x Western Digital Raptors 74gb | EX-H34B Hot Swap Rack | Case: Lian Li PC-D600 | Cooling: H100i | Power Supply: Corsair HX1050 |

Pfsense Build (Repurposed for plex) https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/715459-pfsense-build/

i would get an r9 290x if it was quiet but its not so i wont

CPU: Intel 3570 GPUs: Nvidia GTX 660Ti Case: Fractal design Define R4  Storage: 1TB WD Caviar Black & 240GB Hyper X 3k SSD Sound: Custom One Pros Keyboard: Ducky Shine 4 Mouse: Logitech G500

i would get an r9 290x if it was quiet but its not so i wont

There are non-reference models on the way.

Not to mention the consoles dont support mantle so yet another rift in the mix.

Once again. Mantle is a PC implementation of the existing low-level APIs that are being used in the new generation consoles.

Consoles have finally aligned themselves with pcs so we can all play the same games and be fat dumb and happy and now amd wants to distance themselves from that so its even harder to code games once for pc/xboxone/ps4.

The idea behind Mantle is that it becomes easier, not harder, to port games from one environment to another.

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II