HELP! Home VPN Server Blocked by ISP

Hey guys/gals! Recently I've just finished building my custom Freenas NAS box, and everything is looking great! Although now that everything on my NAS is working locally, I'd love to access the files remotely. After doing some digging around on fourms and guides I decided a home based VPN would be the way to do it.

My ASUS wifi router has an option in it's menus to act as a vpn server. Although after setting this up, I realized that I was only able to connect to this VPN while on my home network, not even 3g or any other network. So this basically means remote access doesn't work as of now. After doing more research I've discovered that certain ISPs block certain network ports normally used to host VPNs, and that is why I can only connect to the VPN locally? Or at least that is what I gathered from all the websites.

So this is were I need your help. I'm rather new to things like port forwarding and VPN configuration, so I'd love if you had any input! Even if you could point me to a guide online of how to overcome this issue, that would be awesome!

But of course if you have any ideas on how to fix this, I'd love your help!

Thanks a bunch!

Asus router.jpg

Usually, ISP block frequently used port, like 8080, to make you buy some services. Use a port that isn't frequently used.

5 minutes ago, ArtiKitten said:

Usually, ISP block frequently used port, like 8080, to make you buy some services. Use a port that isn't frequently used.

well then they're sort of ''scammers'' trying to get you to buy services you dont need.

5 minutes ago, liquidmagma said:

well then they're sort of ''scammers'' trying to get you to buy services you dont need.

No there not, you bought a resdinal network connection, where in the contract, you agreed to not host a server. If you don't wat it blocked, use a different port, or buy buiness grade internet. Also don't use your routers vpn software.

8 hours ago, Electronics Wizardy said:

No there not, you bought a resdinal network connection, where in the contract, you agreed to not host a server. If you don't wat it blocked, use a different port, or buy buiness grade internet. Also don't use your routers vpn software.

Why is the router's vpn software bad? Haha I'm rather new to this