Positive/Negative/Neutral Air Flow Problems

AlgaeEater

I have an s340 case and I hear Neutral air flow is what is best in terms of what to reach.  In my case I have...

CASE:     2 Corsair AF120's on the back for case fans

INTAKE:  2 NZXT 140 'Aerp' Fans (Static Pressure), with  RADIATOR & NZXT x62 Kraken

I used a little trick I saw where you get incense smoke, or a small piece of toilet paper and stick it up to the back of any open holes in the case to see it sucks in.  I only have the CASE fans running at 550RPM (50%), and yet I still have NEGATIVE air flow.  I don't think it would be safe lowering the case fans any further, I do have a Gtx970 in the case as well..

Any recommendations?  Is Positive/Negative/Neutral overrated?  Or should I increase the intake fans?

I'm a fan of the incense smoke test. If you're trying to keep the fan sounds low, maybe try removing one of the fans from the back of the case? Otherwise, you could just start turning up the intake fans and see how much it takes to get to a neutral or positive airflow.

Thanks for the response!  I'll try both i suppose.

Fan noise doesn't bother me at all :).  But I'm guessing If I was to remove one of the case fans, that the rear one (not the top one) would be the best choice for obvious reasons (rising heat)

Just to add another comment.. Increasing the intake RPMs doesn't seem to doo much since there is a filter in the way, not to mention a whole Radiator.

Would just having the two 120 back case fans at something unusually low, at lets say.. 400-500rpm each, instead of removing one of them help with the flow?  I don't usually see anyone with fans lower than 600fpm

Do push pull the front rad. Helped mine significantly. Those fans have very low static pressure comparatively. 

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

4 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

Do push pull the front rad. Helped mine significantly. Those fans have very low static pressure comparatively. 

Diagram wise.. What would that look like?  Stupid question but I'm semi- new haha

A fan on both side of the rad blowing in the same direction. 

2 minutes ago, AlgaeEater said:

Diagram wise.. What would that look like?  Stupid question but I'm semi- new haha

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 9900k, ASUS ROG Maximus XI Hero, G.Skill Ripjaws 3600 32GB, 3090FE, EVGA 1000G5, Acer Nitro XZ3 2560 x 1440@240hz 

Spare RIg Lian Li O11 AIR MINI, I7 4790K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 2400 32Gb, EVGA 1080ti, 1080sc 1070sc & 1060 SSC, EVGA 850GA, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz

2 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

A fan on both side of the rad blowing in the same direction. 

OH geeze I didn't think of that!  Great idea :)