laptop screen replace

jenia1

hello guys!

i am not sure this question belongs here correct me if i am wrong.

i have a lenovo y700 laptop with 1080p screen, this laptop comes with configurations of 1080p screen and 4k(same spacs except that).

unfortunately my screen broke... so i need to order a new one ( i am going to replace it myself).

so i thought maybe to buy the 4k(i saw on ebay they are almost the same price).

will it work?

and any advise and tips when buying a replacement screen for laptop will be welcome too :)

You wanna be careful when replacing a 1080p display with a 4k display because of power drainage etc. That being said I would also look at reviews and what other people had to say when they replaced their screen as some manufacturers out there can screw you.

I've been dubious of ordering screens on ebay.  Amazon can be a little more reliable.  However, laptopscreen.com often has excellent prices and you know you're getting a new screen from a reputable source.  I'd recommend there first.  They also show the connection type so you can match and make sure it is compatible.  Careful crossing different screens.

Now I would assume that it would be OK to do this, simply because the panel would most likely use the exact same connector to the mobo (some form of embedded DP) in order for them to not have to stock 2 different mainboards for the same model laptop. Definitely do some more research though before buying!

When in doubt, re-format.

24 minutes ago, Undertaker225 said:

You wanna be careful when replacing a 1080p display with a 4k display because of power drainage etc. That being said I would also look at reviews and what other people had to say when they replaced their screen as some manufacturers out there can screw you.

thx for the tip!.i don't think power would be an issue like i said this same laptop comes with 4k screens and there power bricks are the same. 

24 minutes ago, Doramius said:

I've been dubious of ordering screens on ebay.  Amazon can be a little more reliable.  However, laptopscreen.com often has excellent prices and you know you're getting a new screen from a reputable source.  I'd recommend there first.  They also show the connection type so you can match and make sure it is compatible.  Careful crossing different screens.

thx a lot!

24 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Now I would assume that it would be OK to do this, simply because the panel would most likely use the exact same connector to the mobo (some form of embedded DP) in order for them to not have to stock 2 different mainboards for the same model laptop. Definitely do some more research though before buying!

that is what i think too, i also have the official maintenance manual, and they explain how to disassemble everything and its not distinguishes between the 1080p and 4k its the same manual.