Low Profile Narrow ILM 2011-v3 CPU cooler

Tmt97
Go to solution Solved by PCGuy_5960,
3 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

At the speeds it would be running do you think the noise would even be affected by replacing the stock fan with a noctua?

The stock fan is loud af, if you replace the fan with a Noctua one, you will hurt your cooling performance...

If you want a quieter solution get a Kraken X41 and this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asetek-Liquid-Cooler-Intel-2011-NARROW-Retention-Ring-Kit-/272334742554

It pretty much says it all in the title. I am trying to find a narrow ILM 2011-v3 cpu cooler that is 80mm in height or less. All I have been able to find are coolers such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-Heatsink-Cooling-LGA2011-SNK-P0048AP4/dp/B0090YPQJ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1484329643&sr=8-4&keywords=Narrow+ILM

with what looks to be a single 60mm fan. Call me crazy but I question its ability to cool an E5-1620 Xeon... Can anyone find something usable? Thanks!

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

2 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

It pretty much says it all in the title. I am trying to find a narrow ILM 2011-v3 cpu cooler that is 80mm in height or less. All I have been able to find are coolers such as this:

https://www.amazon.com/Supermicro-Heatsink-Cooling-LGA2011-SNK-P0048AP4/dp/B0090YPQJ2/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1484329643&sr=8-4&keywords=Narrow+ILM

with what looks to be a single 60mm fan. Call me crazy but I question its ability to cool an E5-1620 Xeon... Can anyone find something usable? Thanks!

Why do you need a "narrow" cooler? What does that even mean?

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

Why do you need a "narrow" cooler? What does that even mean?

LGA 2011-3 uses either the Square ILM (the normal socket) or Narrow ILM (a server socket)

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

8 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

It can cool the E5-1620... BUT, it will be EXTREMELY loud.

CPU: Intel Core i7-5820K | Motherboard: AsRock X99 Extreme4 | Graphics Card: Gigabyte GTX 1080 G1 Gaming | RAM: 16GB G.Skill Ripjaws4 2133MHz | Storage: 1 x Samsung 860 EVO 1TB | 1 x WD Green 2TB | 1 x WD Blue 500GB | PSU: Corsair RM750x | Case: Phanteks Enthoo Pro (White) | Cooling: Arctic Freezer i32

Mice: Logitech G Pro X Superlight (main), Logitech G Pro Wireless, Razer Viper Ultimate, Zowie S1 Divina Blue, Zowie FK1-B Divina Blue, Logitech G Pro (3366 sensor), Glorious Model O, Razer Viper Mini, Logitech G305, Logitech G502, Logitech G402

1 minute ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It can cool the E5-1620... BUT, it will be EXTREMELY loud.

So your really telling me that it isn't gonna thermal throttle if I put it under load with one stock 60mm fan and a heatsink that I could probably balance on my thumb? I mean I haven't exactly done the math but something doesn't seem right there... If your certain about this I do have a 60mm noctua which I could swap out the stock fan with to reduce noise.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

1 minute ago, Tmt97 said:

So your really telling me that it isn't gonna thermal throttle if I put it under load with one stock 60mm fan and a heatsink that I could probably balance on my thumb? I mean I haven't exactly done the math but something doesn't seem right there... If your certain about this I do have a 60mm noctua which I could swap out the stock fan with to reduce noise.

It can dissipate 145W according to Supermicro's website and the E5-1620 has a TDP of 130W. The size of the fan doesn't matter as much, as it is probably spinning at very high RPM....

5 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

It can dissipate 145W according to Supermicro's website and the E5-1620 has a TDP of 130W. The size of the fan doesn't matter as much, as it is probably spinning at very high RPM....

At the speeds it would be running do you think the noise would even be affected by replacing the stock fan with a noctua?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

3 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

The stock fan is loud af, if you replace the fan with a Noctua one, you will hurt your cooling performance...

If you want a quieter solution get a Kraken X41 and this http://www.ebay.com/itm/Asetek-Liquid-Cooler-Intel-2011-NARROW-Retention-Ring-Kit-/272334742554

2 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

While I would be able to fit this in my case just fine, that is an NZXT AIO and yet you linked me to an Asetek retention ring... Does NZXT have a narrow retention ring as well or is this just a mistake?

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

4 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

While I would be able to fit this in my case just fine, that is an NZXT AIO and yet you linked me to an Asetek retention ring... Does NZXT have a narrow retention ring as well or is this just a mistake?

Asetek makes the coolers for NZXT, so this ring works on the NZXT cooler :D

4 minutes ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

Asetek makes the coolers for NZXT, so this ring works on the NZXT cooler :D

Sweet, you sir have just solved my problem of the day. Much gratitude.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

On 1/13/2017 at 10:17 AM, PCGuy_5960 said:

Are you sure about that? The NF-A6 goes up to 3000rpm and is pretty quiet from what I've read.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

7 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Are you sure about that? The NF-A6 goes up to 3000rpm and is pretty quiet from what I've read.

But aren't those server fans spinning at 5000rpm or so....?

12 hours ago, PCGuy_5960 said:

But aren't those server fans spinning at 5000rpm or so....?

It's rated at a 8400rpm. 

I'm not finding any concrete results of before and after with NF-A6's on server heatsinks but they seem to have worked well on A86G's which use a stock 7000rpm fan.

cb80623b40fc5d1ce1b0366e70243589.png

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.