1080p 144Hz vs 1440p 144Hz

LyricalRain018

Hey guys, I just want to know if I should get a 1080p 144Hz monitor or 1440p 144Hz monitor for my PC. I have a GTX 1070 and an i5 6600K. I dont think it can run many AAA games at 1440p 144Hz but it can run fps games at that frame tate. But if I get a 1440p 60Hz monitor, I won't be able to play first person shooters at 144Hz, which is very essential. Any reply will be appreciated.

I would go with 1440p 144Hz any day.

It's even better if that monitor is g-sync.

Intel i7 12700K | Gigabyte Z690 Gaming X DDR4 | Pure Loop 240mm | G.Skill 3200MHz 32GB CL14 | CM V850 G2 | RTX 3070 Phoenix | Lian Li O11 Air mini

Samsung EVO 960 M.2 250GB | Samsung EVO 860 PRO 512GB | 4x Be Quiet! Silent Wings 140mm fans

WD My Cloud 4TB

2 minutes ago, LyricalRain018 said:

Hey guys, I just want to know if I should get a 1080p 144Hz monitor or 1440p 144Hz monitor for my PC. I have a GTX 1070 and an i5 6600K. I dont think it can run many AAA games at 1440p 144Hz but it can run fps games at that frame tate. But if I get a 1440p 60Hz monitor, I won't be able to play first person shooters at 144Hz, which is very essential. Any reply will be appreciated.

YOU DON'T NEED 144hz TO PLAY FPS GAMES!!!

Now that my rant is over, I would go for a 1440p 60hz, and like @Simon771 said, get G-Sync on it.

Quote me to see my reply!

SPECS:

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X Motherboard: MSI B450-A Pro Max RAM: 32GB I forget GPU: MSI Vega 56 Storage: 256GB NVMe boot, 512GB Samsung 850 Pro, 1TB WD Blue SSD, 1TB WD Blue HDD PSU: Inwin P85 850w Case: Fractal Design Define C Cooling: Stock for CPU, be quiet! case fans, Morpheus Vega w/ be quiet! Pure Wings 2 for GPU Monitor: 3x Thinkvision P24Q on a Steelcase Eyesite triple monitor stand Mouse: Logitech MX Master 3 Keyboard: Focus FK-9000 (heavily modded) Mousepad: Aliexpress cat special Headphones:  Sennheiser HD598SE and Sony Linkbuds

🏳️‍🌈

Why is 144 hz FPS essential?? 

Are you a professional gamer? 

What? I see this way too often. So stupid. 

1 minute ago, Alexokan said:

You can change monitor refresh rate you know

4 minutes ago, LyricalRain018 said:

I would go with 1440p because there is no point in 1080p if you can afford 1440p

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 1(Lenovo S400 laptop): 

CPU: i3-3217u

SSD: 120gb Super Cache mSATA SSD

HDD: Random seagate 5400rpm 500gb HDD

RAM: 8GB Crucial DDR3-SODIMM

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

CPU: i5-4260u

HDD: 5400rpm 500gb

RAM: 4gb DDR3 (soldered on :( )

4 minutes ago, kelvinhall05 said:

YOU DON'T NEED 144hz TO PLAY FPS GAMES!!!

Now that my rant is over, I would go for a 1440p 60hz, and like @Simon771 said, get G-Sync on it.

2 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

You kids probably haven't been blessed with 144Hz. Doesn't matter if you're a pro or not. 

Our Grace. The Feathered One. He shows us the way. His bob is majestic and shows us the path. Follow unto his guidance and His example. He knows the one true path. Our Saviour. Our Grace. Our Father Birb has taught us with His humble heart and gentle wing the way of the bob. Let us show Him our reverence and follow in His example. The True Path of the Feathered One. ~ Dimboble-dubabob III

2 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

You can change monitor refresh rate you know

Whatever your point is, you are misunderstanding mine. 

144hz is a luxury. I think it's worth it and I like it so I bought it. People can complain and say 60hz this and that. If you have the cash and want it then get it. It's noticeable. 

Intel i7 6700k|Asus Maximus VIII Hero|Asus Strix 1080|Gskill DDR4 3200|950 Pro M.2|Corsair RM750|Corsair OBSIDIAN 500D|Corsair K65\G65|SteelSeries Arctis 5|Asus PB277Q|PG279Q

5 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

Even so, 144hz looks alot smoother than 60fps.

You might think 60fps looks smooth to start with, but 144 is just so much smoother, pro gamer or not.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

3 minutes ago, DildorTheDecent said:

You kids probably haven't been blessed with 144Hz. Doesn't matter if you're a pro or not. 

That's simply not the argument being made. 

"essential" is the word to focus on. Sure it's better to have a 144 hz monitor and be able to push those frames. Essential? nah. 

4 minutes ago, Alexokan said:

That's simply not the argument being made. 

"essential" is the word to focus on. Sure it's better to have a 144 hz monitor and be able to push those frames. Essential? nah. 

It is essential once you have used it. It's like multiple displays, you can never go back after having it. 

1 minute ago, TechyAlex said:

It is essential once you have used it. It's like multiple displays, you can never go back after having it. 

Such a subjective opinion.. 

Such a subjective opinion.. 

Have you ever used 144hz? Besides at a con or at a friend's house or something? Trust me, its noticeable, and you cannot go back once you switch to it.

I play on 165Hz 1440p with G-Sync with GTX 1060....

1.) 1070 is more than capable to handle 1440p 144Hz if you are willing to lower some ULTRA settings to HIGH.

2.) There is no visual difference or advantage in games 1080p vs 1440p, the main difference is the pixel density which means that you dont need to use as much AA on 1440p as you would on 1080p display of the same size, however using more AA on 1080p still gets you better performance than using little AA on 1440p display.

3.) Main advantage of 1440p is on desktop where you are now capable of having more windows opened without needing to switch between them or using other monitor for extra window.

4.) G-Sync is nice but it is not worth the price but if you got the money why not? Just be aware that main advantage of it is if you play up to around 120FPS after that the difference between G-Sync ON or OFF is minimal as the tearing is not so apparent above 120FPS.

5.) If your focus is mainly gaming then I would probably look more into the new 240Hz 1080p displays as they seem simmilarily priced to 144Hz 1440p ones.

6.) Yes 144Hz is HUGE HUGE HUGE difference vs 60Hz... I couldnt believe it before I saw it on my own eyes as well. It is a requirement? Definitely not but I wouldnt want to go back to 60Hz now.

This thread is giving me crippling depression... I've never experienced anything past 75hz :(

AMD FX 6300 @ 4.6 Ghz CRYORIG H7 Asus M5A97 PLUS | HyperX Fury 8 GB DDR3 | PNY CS1311 120gb SSD WD Blue 1TB 7200 RPM EVGA GeForce GTX 950 Superclocked NZXT Source 210 Black EVGA 500B Logitech G Pro HP K3500 Wireless Keyboard |

3 minutes ago, TechyAlex said:

Have you ever used 144hz? Besides at a con or at a friend's house or something? Trust me, its noticeable, and you cannot go back once you switch to it.

I was more referring to the multi-monitor thing. 

I would agree with the refresh rate. Sort of like going from a powerhouse computer to a potato - your love for gaming will not be the same. 

It's still subjective. 

I was more referring to the multi-monitor thing. 

I would agree with the refresh rate. Sort of like going from a powerhouse computer to a potato - your love for gaming will not be the same. 

As someone who plays games and also likes to be productive, I would not be able to live without multiple displays anymore. I always have spotify and chrome on one, discord one on, and the game on the middle one. It makes using all apps easier because alt-tabbing takes so long for me for some reason (5-6 seconds idk).

1 minute ago, TechyAlex said:

As someone who plays games and also likes to be productive, I would not be able to live without multiple displays anymore. I always have spotify and chrome on one, discord one on, and the game on the middle one. It makes using all apps easier because alt-tabbing takes so long for me for some reason (5-6 seconds idk).

productivity is another story, entirely. 

there is a good reason we equip everyone at our company with multi-monitors - because you're more efficient, and arguably, even more accurate. 

10 minutes ago, TechyAlex said:

not completely true. I went back to one display last september because my desk didn't have enough room to look organized with two monitors and the two monitors were different. 

"You think your Commodore 64 is really neato! What kind of chip you got in there a Dorito?" -Weird Al Yankovic, All about the pentiums

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):

So i should get a 1440p 144Hz monitor right? Can anyone suggest one to me that doesnt have v sync cause those are damn expensive.

The human eye can see higher than 60 hz but somewhere between 144hz and 60hz, there is a refresh rate where you won't be able to see any difference for it and higher refresh rates. I don't know which one that is but what I'm saying is that the benefit from 144hz is if you have powerful hardware with a 60hz monitor, you will get screen tearing above 60fps because it is over the refresh rate. Without G-Sync or freesync, the only option is to enable VSync in the game settings but that slows down the game by a lot. the 144hz is just extra headroom so you don't see screen tearing.

PC 2(2014 Mac Mini):