Steam downloads significantly slow?

My steam downloads are significantly slower than they should be. Not even two weeks ago (last time I paid attention, at least) I was getting around 30MB/s+ from steam. I'm connected via ethernet. I've tried changing my steam download server to like a dozen different ones in america and overseas with no change whatsoever. I've tried restarting my router. Nothing else connected to the network is downloading/using much bandwidth if any. I re-installed windows a couple of days ago (which is why I'm re-downloading a lot of games for my library) on this laptop, but the problem was there before as well. Any suggestions or ideas? 

connection.png

Ive seen steam downloads crap out some times.

I have gigabit internet, and steam almost never goes over 45 MB/s. sometimes it drops down to like 5-15. See if its still doing this in a few hours.

When in doubt, re-format.

4 minutes ago, pwn_intended said:

Ive seen steam downloads crap out some times.

I have gigabit internet, and steam almost never goes over 45 MB/s. sometimes it drops down to like 5-15. See if its still doing this in a few hours.

It's been like this consistently for about a week... almost exactly 6.5MB/s peak speed. T_T

6.2MBps = ~51Mbps which is what you're speedtest shows you're getting and if that's what you're paying for then that's all you'll get.

There is a difference between MB and Mb. 8Mbps = 1MBps

Edit: If you want it to display in bits then in the Downloads section check the box that says "Display download rates in bits per second"

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Lurick said:

6.2MBps = ~51Mbps which is what you're speedtest shows you're getting and if that's what you're paying for then that's all you'll get.

There is a difference between MB and Mb. 8Mbps = 1MBps

That's odd... I mean, it makes sense, but why was I getting 30+ MB/s a few weeks ago? I didn't bother to do a speedtest at the time to see what I was getting from my ISP. Maybe I should contact my ISP and see if they're throttling my connection. 

Am I the only one not seeing an issue?

How is Steam crapping out when you speeds are nearly the same?

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

Just now, R176 said:

That's odd... I mean, it makes sense, but why was I getting 30+ MB/s a few weeks ago? I didn't bother to do a speedtest at the time to see what I was getting from my ISP. Maybe I should contact my ISP and see if they're throttling my connection. 

See my Edit. The settings for Steam probably got reset and went from bits to bytes.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, ARikozuM said:

Am I the only one not seeing an issue?

How is Steam crapping out when you speeds are nearly the same?

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

See my Edit. The settings for Steam probably got reset and went from bits to bytes.

My bad, I was aware of the difference, just didn't consider it, so I suppose the problem has now gone from "why is steam slower?" to "why is my internet slower?"

I dug up an older speedtest screenshot, this is what I used to be getting. 

Speedtest.png

Just now, R176 said:

My bad, I was aware of the difference, just didn't consider it, so I suppose the problem has now gone from "why is steam slower?" to "why is my internet slower?"

I dug up an older speedtest screenshot, this is what I used to be getting. 

Speedtest.png

Hmmm, so your internet might be to blame here. What kind of service is it? DLS, Cable, etc? It's possible the line was damaged somehow.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Hmmm, so your internet might be to blame here. What kind of service is it? DLS, Cable, etc? It's possible the line was damaged somehow.

Cable, I'm in an apartment building. 

26 minutes ago, R176 said:

My steam downloads are significantly slower than they should be. Not even two weeks ago (last time I paid attention, at least) I was getting around 30MB/s+ from steam. I'm connected via ethernet. I've tried changing my steam download server to like a dozen different ones in america and overseas with no change whatsoever. I've tried restarting my router. Nothing else connected to the network is downloading/using much bandwidth if any. I re-installed windows a couple of days ago (which is why I'm re-downloading a lot of games for my library) on this laptop, but the problem was there before as well. Any suggestions or ideas? 

connection.png

Do you live in Edmonton like me? we can hang sometime lol jk, But might wanna call Telus or Shaw to fix it.

The geek himself.

1 minute ago, R176 said:

Cable, I'm in an apartment building. 

Hmmm, it's very possible a line was damaged, maybe the ISP was doing some upgrades or building maintenance happened and something got knocked in the process. I would call up your ISP and see if they can detect any issues on there side.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

2 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

Do you live in Edmonton like me? we can hang sometime lol jk, But might wanna call Telus or Shaw to fix it.

I do live in Edmonton hahah. I suppose my option here is now to just call up Telus. This entire thread could've been avoided if I'd realized that steam was showing MB/s vs Mbps

@Lurick

1 minute ago, R176 said:

I do live in Edmonton hahah. I suppose my option here is now to just call up Telus. This entire thread could've been avoided if I'd realized that steam was showing MB/s vs Mbps

@Lurick

Yeah this happens sometimes, just call Telus and they should repair it. It happens to me sometimes. Also you can try resetting the router.

The geek himself.

If its something else then Telus will send a technician to your location.

The geek himself.

2 minutes ago, R176 said:

@Lurick

It happens, lol. Always tough to recognize something that you've been seeing one way and suddenly it changes without knowing it.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

It happens, lol. Always tough to recognize something that you've been seeing one way and suddenly it changes without knowing it.

oh wait lol

The geek himself.

4 minutes ago, Lurick said:

3 minutes ago, Dawson Wehage said:

oh wait lol

It's cool, I'm also the kind of person who will pull a hoodie over my head with my glasses still on and smash them into the bridge of my nose. 

Although, I didn't just do that about 30 seconds ago. >.>