Potato PC, help dear Captains

Specs:

-i3-3220 3.3GHz

-8GB RAM DDR3

-Inno3D Geforce GTX 750ti 2GB DDR5 128-BIT Overclock

-500GB 7.2K RPM

-Corsair VS 450 PSU 

-MSI MS-7788 Mobo

-Samsung LED Monitor 19.5" 1366x768 60Hz (ordinary monitor)

(Native Resolution: 2560 x 1600, but obviously my rig can't take it so I drop it down to the monitor's capacity 1366x768) see attached picture

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

(DEFAULT GPU SETTING - NOT OVERCLOCKED)

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

System

Platform:
Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz (3292MHz) x2
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 21.21.13.7633 (2048MB) x1

Settings

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1366x751 2xAA windowed
Preset
Custom
Quality
High
Tessellation:
Moderate

OVERCLOCKED WITH NO ADDITIONAL CORE VOLTAGE:

Unigine Heaven Benchmark 4.0

FPS:
Score:
Min FPS:
Max FPS:

System

Platform:
Windows NT 6.2 (build 9200) 64bit
CPU model:
Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-3220 CPU @ 3.30GHz (3292MHz) x2
GPU model:
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 Ti 21.21.13.7633 (2048MB) x1

Settings

Render:
Direct3D11
Mode:
1366x755 2xAA windowed
Preset
Custom
Quality
High
Tessellation:
Moderate

NOOB QUESTIONS, PLEASE BARE WITH ME:

1. I play DotA 2 with 1366x768 resolution, I'm expecting to have better fps avg but no. I thought setting it to a lower reso would improve performance, however it's not.

2. My current DotA 2 resolution is 1920 x 1080, why? Because it's the only setup that would look reasonable and fitting to my monitor specially the text, makes them look clear. (Unlike setting it to 1366 x 768 which makes the text blurry)

NOTE: I disabled tree movements, vsync (even turning them on doesn't really help) & Shadow Quality is set to Medium, sometimes even OFF.

3. With regards to overclocking, I don't really feel the difference between the two when I am in-game. Thoughts?

4. Additional info: I've already cleaned my setup to free the dust, etc.. Temperatures are at their normal level.

5. I just want to have a consistent fps count in dota 2 :( Not just in my lane, specially with team fights when everyone casts skills etc..

Thanks once again to those who will respond. 

1.jpg

I play DotA 2 with 1366x768 resolution, I'm expecting to have better fps avg but no. I thought setting it to a lower reso would improve performance, however it's not.

That's what we call a CPU bottleneck. What kind of framerates do you get in DOTA 2? And around what range?

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

it's source engine, its never a stable framerate. turn the settings down to low, source loves CPU so your i3 isn't doing you good

idk

1 minute ago, Castdeath97 said:

That's what we call a CPU bottleneck. What kind of framerates do you get? And around what range?

I get around 60-68fps but drops down to 48-55fps when clashing occurs. So you are saying I"m having CPU bottleneck? :(

1 minute ago, John Leonard said:

I get around 60-68fps but drops down to 48-55fps when clashing occurs. So you are saying I"m having CPU bottleneck? :(

Likely, since increasing the resolution (GPU load mostly) changes little. 

Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Droidbot said:

it's source engine, its never a stable framerate. turn the settings down to low, source loves CPU so your i3 isn't doing you good

it hurts to have low settings with this GPU, though. Does upgrading the CPU (which isn't really tangible as of the moment, sad) improve this?

Just now, John Leonard said:

it hurts to have low settings with this GPU, though. Does upgrading the CPU (which isn't really tangible as of the moment, sad) improve this?

Yes, getting used i7 3770K/3770 will help. 

Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Likely, since increasing the resolution (GPU load mostly) changes little. 

Someone offered his  HD 7790 since he suspects bottlenecking, too with my setup. Is it reasonable, logically correct to do it? If so, who's going to add cash hahaha. My GPU is only 2months old.. :( 

Yes, getting used i7 3770K/3770 will help. 

I see, problem solved easily with that. Thanks. But I'm hoping a budget friendly solution as of the moment, since my resources aren't really enough. Priorities, lol. Do you recommend I turn off overclocking, too? it's not really making some big changes.

2 minutes ago, John Leonard said:

Someone offered his  HD 7790 since he suspects bottlenecking, too with my setup. Is it reasonable, logically correct to do it? If so, who's going to add cash hahaha. My GPU is only 2months old.. :( 

That's not a good upgrade, if it's even an upgrade. 

Pascal laptops guide

2 minutes ago, John Leonard said:

I see, problem solved easily with that. Thanks. But I'm hoping a budget friendly solution as of the moment, since my resources aren't really enough. Priorities, lol. Do you recommend I turn off overclocking, too? it's not really making some big changes.

A used 3770K won't be expensive, far from it. At very worst maybe 200 USD. 

Pascal laptops guide

That's not a good upgrade, if it's even an upgrade. 

Technically not an upgrade but a remedy. I just want to have the smooth gaming experience, not planning really to have the high end ones. But with that, can my CPU be optimized with the GPU HD 7790?

Technically not an upgrade but a remedy. I just want to have the smooth gaming experience, not planning really to have the high end ones. But with that, can my CPU be optimized with the GPU HD 7790?

I think you should focus on your CPU, not the graphics card.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

2 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

Probably soon, though. Budget is really tight these days. I'm just hoping there's something that can be done aside from spending too much

4 minutes ago, John Leonard said:

The 3770k market is really wierd.

They are worth more than a 4790k even used.

I would go for a 3750k used in the near future. They overclock decently well and you can pick one up for 100- 140 bucks in the US.

That would almost certainly get rid of your bottlenecking issues- especially if you overclocked it.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

2 minutes ago, Jamiec1130 said:

I think you should focus on your CPU, not the graphics card.

Thanks for the heads up. I might plan selling this old CPU and have that cash to avail another one that would not result to this.

3 minutes ago, Castdeath97 said:

What are you smoking? I can't find one under 300 bucks used.

I'm a looking in the wrong place? I live Pennsylvania, US.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

Thanks for the heads up. I might plan selling this old CPU and have that cash to avail another one that would not result to this.

That's a great idea. Good luck!

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

1 minute ago, JR8 said:

The 3770k market is really wierd.

They are worth more than a 4790k even used.

I would go for a 3750k used in the near future. They overclock decently well and you can pick one up for 100- 140 bucks in the US.

That would almost certainly get rid of your bottlenecking issues- especially if you overclocked it.

That's really good for you there, however in my country, people seldom sell used CPU's alone. It is why people don't really have the choice but to buy brand new ones. Which isn't really feasible as of the moment in my case. What makes me really sad is that this GPU is not even 3months old. Well..

6 minutes ago, John Leonard said:

No. That's not how bottleneck work if you have a pentium and a Titan X and you downgrade to a RX 460 you aren't going to get a better experience, the drops will still be around.

3 minutes ago, JR8 said:

What are you smoking? I can't find one under 300 bucks used.

I'm a looking in the wrong place? I live Pennsylvania, US.

Depends on where you live, every country/state is different, let alone the time you shop. You need to keep a keen eye and try different platforms. Maybe by the time Zen comes out people will sell their 3770Ks.

But yeah, even a i5 would be a big upgrade.

Pascal laptops guide

That's really good for you there, however in my country, people seldom sell used CPU's alone. It is why people don't really have the choice but to buy brand new ones. Which isn't really feasible as of the moment in my case. What makes me really sad is that this GPU is not even 3months old. Well..

Sorry mate!

Good luck to you, anyhow. I hope you can get rid of your problem.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

No. That's not how bottleneck work if you have a pentium and a Titan X and you downgrade to a RX 460 you aren't going to get a better experience, the drops will still be around.

Depends on where you live, every country/state is different, let alone the time you shop. You need to keep a keen eye and try different platforms. Maybe by the time Zen comes out people will sell their 3770Ks.

But yeah, even a i5 would be a big upgrade.

Thanks so much, so if you were in my place right now haha what would you do with your current rig? or something.. Idk

1 minute ago, JR8 said:

Sorry mate!

Good luck to you, anyhow. I hope you can get rid of your problem.

Thank you, appreciate it very much.

Thanks so much, so if you were in my place right now haha what would you do with your current rig? or something.. Idk

Look for deals, if you don't find any buy a new CPU later on.

Pascal laptops guide

Maybe a bit off-topic, but wouldn't it make more sense to downscale that monitor to 1280x800 rather than 1366x768? With a native resolution of 2560x1600 that'd be exactly quartered and it would uphold the 16:10 ratio rather than stretching 16:9. You might get a sharper, less-deformed image, and with 3% fewer pixels to drive you might even get higher framerates...

daily driver
Intel Core i7-950 | ASUS SABERTOOTH X58 | 6x2GB Corsair XMS3 PC3-12800 | ASUS GTX970 STRIX | SB X-Fi Titanium
Samsung 840 EVO + WD Caviar Black | Fractal Define R3 | Phanteks/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (13-inch Mid 2010)

Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 | Apple Mac-F222BEC8 | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-8500 | GeForce 320M
SanDisk SDSSDP | Apple A1278 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

Microsoft Lumia 950

Qualcomm Snapdragon 808 | 3GB RAM | Adreno 418 | Windows 10 Mobile

daily driver 2

Intel Core i5-750 | ASUS P7P55-M | 4x1GB Elpida PC3-8500 | Sapphire Radeon HD5870 | SB X-Fi Xtreme Music
Crucial M4 + WD AV-GP Green | Fractal Define R3 | Scythe/Gelid/Noctua/NoiseBlocker cooling | Windows 10 Pro

MacBook Pro (15-inch, Mid 2012)

Intel Core i7-3615QM | Apple Mac-4B7AC7E434945597E | 2x4GB Samsung PC3-12800 | GeForce GT650M
WD Blue | Apple A1286 Aluminium Unibody | macOS Sierra

server

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1620 | Jetway JNC62K | 2GB Corsair Value Select PC2-6400 | GeForce 8200 IGP
WD Caviar SE16 + AV-GP Green + 2x Red | Chenbro ES34069 | Scythe/Nexus/Noctua cooling | Windows Home Server

coming soon: Eve V

Intel Core i7-7Y75 | Skybay U3E1 | 2x8GB Samsung PC3LP-14900 | Intel HD 615
Intel 600P | Eve V Aluminium Unibody | Windows 10 Pro