Nintendo reveals more specs for the Switch except for the ones that matter? That's not good....

AlTech
11 minutes ago, Yoinkerman said:

My computer has gotten better since then lol

Computer hardware is a hobby of mine.  I buy nice stuff because I can.  I used to raid on WoW with a p4 and a radeon 9000.  17fps all day

My point is more that games can run and play fine without beefy specs.  If its a smooth high frame rate and the visuals aren't jagged messes ala Halo with terrible texture popping ala GTA, but controls and plays well like super Mario whatever, then it doesn't bug me.

We only care that a Xbone runs at a frame rate that's all over the place because long frame times create stuttering, frame rate swings cause controls to go wonky, create motion sickness, cause unbearable tearing across the scene(tearing matters a lot more at 22fps than 60fps) and cause the overall game to feel sluggish and chunky.  They literally push visual "fidelity" at the expense of gameplay.  For the most part, Nintendo doesn't.

Pokemon sells 9999999999999999999 copies and looks like crap.  Because it's a well built, fun game.

And that's where I hope Nintendo has developers doing the right thing and targeting 60fps at least when the Switch is docked. Because seeing my brother playing Skylanders on the Wii (aka 2001 Gamecube with motion controllers), then playing it on an iPad Air-it was far smoother and looked far better on the iPad and as a result my brother stopped using the Wii altogether (it also helps that Skylanders for the iPad came with a Bluetooth gamepad instead of an adapter for the unreliable infrared motion controllers).

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

Re: the framerate on the trailer for xenoblade 2 looked like fucking shit, so devs being disciplined and competent to optimize is out of the window already. 

Yes I realize it's early footage but not sure why they showed it on such a poor state. 

-------

Current Rig

-------

more little reveals: first look at the cartridge of breath of the wild

Nintendo-Switch-Zelda-Cartridge-1280x720

the game will be 13.4GB

Nintendo will target 1080p60fps with breath of the wild when docked

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/01/13/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-file-size-switch-wii-u/

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/01/13/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-targeting-1080p-at-60fps-when-docked-for-launch-video/

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

3 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

when docked

the question is, what when it's not docked, because when it's docked they essentially have "unlimited power" in terms of ARM :P

also, am i the only one thinking "that's a funky shaped SD card" when seeing that? :P

30 minutes ago, Misanthrope said:

Re: the framerate on the trailer for xenoblade 2 looked like fucking shit, so devs being disciplined and competent to optimize is out of the window already. 

Yes I realize it's early footage but not sure why they showed it on such a poor state. 

may be "inflated" because of camera recording screen stuff as well.

24 minutes ago, suicidalfranco said:

more little reveals: first look at the cartridge of breath of the wild

the game will be 13.4GB

Nintendo will target 1080p60fps with breath of the wild when docked

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/01/13/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-file-size-switch-wii-u/

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2017/01/13/zelda-breath-of-the-wild-targeting-1080p-at-60fps-when-docked-for-launch-video/

Well damn, can't say I really expected that, though that would've been a selling point for me when it was still NX. I find 30fps is fine on mobile screens so if the lineup for switch wasn't interesting I was going for the wii u version since 30fps on a machine I own is better than spending money on another 30fps machine for 1 game.

14 minutes ago, CyanideInsanity said:

though that would've been a selling point for me when it was still NX.

it appareantly wasnt a selling point for nintendo :P

54 minutes ago, manikyath said:

the question is, what when it's not docked

I'm pretty sure that it's 1080p 60fps when docked, 720p when undocked. Which makes sense given that the screen on the tablet is 720p. Honestly I don't know why everyone's getting so worked up about this. Did they not watch any of the footage shown? The only game that looked choppy was Xenoblade 2 which doesn't even have a release date yet AFAIK. Everything else looked like it was running pretty smoothly.

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

2 minutes ago, skywake said:

I'm pretty sure that it's 1080p 60fps when docked, 720p when undocked. Which makes sense given that the screen on the tablet is 720p. Honestly I don't know why everyone's getting so worked up about this. Did they not watch any of the footage shown? The only game that looked choppy was Xenoblade 2 which doesn't even have a release date yet AFAIK. Everything else looked like it was running pretty smoothly.

well, yeah... that makes sense, the question is, what other than the resolution changes when it undocks, and probably more importantly how long does the thing go while playing games.

judging of the conversation about the weight, i'm guessing they stuck a decent amount of lithium in there, but still..

the switch was bound to be a failure, and was obvious to me since the day i heard it would be ARM based, they are dead on the console market, now they are like 15 years behind.

even if you would consider it a handheld  and not a console, it still would be a failure, the smartphone competition in this segment is insane.

the battery autonomy from 2.5 to 6hours depanding on the games....2hours and a half... wtf, and here again you will be left with nintendo games, like 1 or 2 per year.

most big franchises wont make it to the new console, because it wont be a simple port, it's practicaly making the game from the ground up, and if that's not enough most small studios that develope for smartphones wont bother with the switch, because the half baked games they make in couple months for phones, wont be good enough for nintendo, and for these studios making 5 titles a year for hundreds of millions is better than making 1 title every 2 years for the switch for couple millions.

i dont see it working, RIP nintendo

To be honest, I'm not bothered about storage size as it's pretty cheap to buy a 128GB class 10 SD card so... :P

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

8 hours ago, manikyath said:

ont hat note tho, mostly out of curiousity, what would you rather have out these two options, in terms of docked mode:

- locked to 30FPS but a "buttery smooth" 30FPS without a hitch.

- 60FPS, but with dips down to 45 depending on what's going on. (to pull up an example, grenades going boom)

not saying this directly related to the switch, but more so as a curiousity in terms of choosing between two evils.

There are some types of games where option 1 would not be a complete deal-breaker for me (Pokemon, maybe), but I can't think of any scenario where I wouldn't still vastly prefer option 2.

If Breath of the Wild does not run at a proper framerate for an action RPG, I will reluctantly skip it just as I've had to do with Bloodborne. It will leave a Master Sword-shaped hole in my heart, but my alternatives are just too good to pay that price for that experience.

21 hours ago, manikyath said:

well, yeah... that makes sense, the question is, what other than the resolution changes when it undocks, and probably more importantly how long does the thing go while playing games.

judging of the conversation about the weight, i'm guessing they stuck a decent amount of lithium in there, but still..

According to the website we play can Breath of Wild for roughly 3 Hours on a single charge. 

Screen Shot 2017-01-14 at 12.59.21 PM.png

I really think that Nintendo should've waited for Raven Ridge APUs from AMD to make the Switch, simply better than Nvidia's SoC in every way.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

1 hour ago, Citadelen said:

I really think that Nintendo should've waited for Raven Ridge APUs from AMD to make the Switch, simply better than Nvidia's SoC in every way.

Except power consumption is still probably much higher even with a power efficient x86 soc compared to an arm soc.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

On 1/13/2017 at 6:59 PM, Mr.Meerkat said:

To be honest, I'm not bothered about storage size as it's pretty cheap to buy a 128GB class 10 SD card so... :P

The 32GB storage should be concerning to developers. You're not going to get as many impulse purchases or sale sells through the online store if an owner doesn't have space to hold your game. A casual owner is not going to want to spend another $40 on a 128GB card. 64GB internal wouldn't have cost that much more and would given more reason for developers to port titles over to boost the game library. Two game storage versus four or five will end up being a significant deal for 3rd party sale projections. The Switch needs games, and it needs games fast.

Switch is going to have real problems from June-October. There's almost a guaranteed minimum $50 price cut by November with 1-2 Switch bundled for the Holiday season. It should do okay then, but there will probably be some minor panic at Nintendo HQ mid-summer.

3 minutes ago, AdmiralKyrd said:

The 32GB storage should be concerning to developers. You're not going to get as many impulse purchases or sale sells through the online store if an owner doesn't have space to hold your game.

Yeah, true true (although I'm sure there's not as many impulse video game purchases as you think considering that all triple As now cost $$$ at launch).

3 minutes ago, AdmiralKyrd said:

Switch is going to have real problems from June-October. There's almost a guaranteed minimum $50 price cut by November with 1-2 Switch bundled for the Holiday season. It should do okay then, but there will probably be some minor panic at Nintendo HQ mid-summer.

If you mean the 10 million~ loyal Nintendo followers all rushing to buy the switch then fair enough :P 

2 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Yeah, true true (although I'm sure there's not as many impulse video game purchases as you think considering that all triple As now cost $$$ at launch).

Well, the Triple A titles don't even have to be new-new at new prices. 3rd Parties could have gone Nintendo's route and ported older AAA's over at an effective price point and pushed systems and their own sales. The only old triple A's on the horizon are Skyrim and Minecraft, which is concerning they couldn't have gotten more with the Tegra architecture.

8 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

If you mean the 10 million~ loyal Nintendo followers all rushing to buy the switch then fair enough :P 

Problem being though Nintendo doesn't have new unique, first-party titles to really sell the system until the new Mario. Those 10 million already have a Wii U. A lot of them can wait. A lot of them even bought it anticipating years ago playing Breath of the Wild on it. Is the portability and increased performance going to be worth that much? I had a Gamecube since Day 1 and got a Wii on launch with Twilight Princess because I was desperate for widescreen, so there's that. I haven't looked at Zelda: BoTW that much, but I can imagine it would be a better experience on the Wii U. The most annoying thing in Zelda is always having to pause and switch weapons. If I could just bind a weapon by tapping on pad I could get... real-time... weapon change? which would make the Wii U's version the superior experience.

Outside of the diehard excitement for the hardware itself, I don't think Zelda, Mario Kart, and Splatoon games that are already available on the Wii U, are going to be enough to drive diehard sales at the $300 price point after the first few months.

4 minutes ago, AdmiralKyrd said:

Outside of the diehard excitement for the hardware itself, I don't think Zelda, Mario Kart, and Splatoon games that are already available on the Wii U, are going to be enough to drive diehard sales at the $300 price point after the first few months.

Thing is, the Switch is more like a gaming laptop than a gaming desktop in the way that you can take the switch around anywhere and still use it where as you can't with a PS4 or Xbone, 

The switch is more like a power handheld rather than a mediocre home console. 

9 hours ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Thing is, the Switch is more like a gaming laptop than a gaming desktop in the way that you can take the switch around anywhere and still use it where as you can't with a PS4 or Xbone, 

The switch is more like a power handheld rather than a mediocre home console. 

It definitely has that, but it's positioning isn't solely a strong point. It's competing against the PS4/XBoxOne for the console market where its clearly the inferior system, and it's competing against the 3DS/Vita/Tablets/Phones where, it is the superior hardware, but the vastly weaker library with a full console price premium.

It's an oxymoron of doing everything well but nothing well. If they can get the price of the Switch down to a mobile pricing point of $179.99 by the Winter of 2018 it should be able to shine then, but the Summer-Fall gaps of 2017 and 2018 could be somewhat brutal.

3 hours ago, djdwosk97 said:

-snip-

Don't underestimate Zen's scalability, it can be scaled all the way from fanless laptops all the way to the data centre. This is in addition to AMD's remarkable power consumption during Idle times, where it can draw as little as a tenth of a watt.

Pixelbook Go i5 Pixel 4 XL 

3 hours ago, Citadelen said:

Don't underestimate Zen's scalability, it can be scaled all the way from fanless laptops all the way to the data centre. This is in addition to AMD's remarkable power consumption during Idle times, where it can draw as little as a tenth of a watt.

I'll take things that sound too good to be true for $500, alex.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

Looks like breath of the wild will run at 900p 30fps when docked.

http://www.theverge.com/2017/1/18/14312292/nintendo-switch-specs-power-zelda-900p-30-fps

PSU Tier List | CoC

Spoiler

Spoiler

I dunno if it's been mentioned here, but yesterday there were some articles pointing out that the Joycon Grip included with the console doesn't allow for USB charging of the Joycons, instead you have to buy a "JoyCon Chargin Grip" (£25 etc) that allows for this feature. The "JoyCon Grip" that comes with the console is just a simple plastic Joycon Holder.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2017-01-16-nintendo-switchs-basic-joy-con-grip-doesnt-charge-controllers

nintendo-switchs-basic-joy-con-grip-does

(Console included "JoyCon Grip" on left, separately available "JoyCon Charging Grip" on right)

With Peripheral pricing already being a major stinging point of most critics like myself, Nintendo just seem to be shooting themselves int he foot with moves like this.

On 14/01/2017 at 1:44 AM, skywake said:

Nope. Zelda confirmed 900p30. Now that is terrible 

Welp