Nintendo reveals more specs for the Switch except for the ones that matter? That's not good....

AlTech
Just now, AluminiumTech said:

If I were going to buy that (let's be honest here. I'm not going to, no matter what happens), Nintendo would need to make sure ALL games run at 60fps or above AT ALL TIMES.

i dont freaking care what fps it runs at. i care the games are fun.

which is exactly the reason the most recent console on my shelf is an original wii, because the games were fun, and pretty much since then nintendo became seriously mehh for me, and the other two options started measuring dick size by shallow performance numbers.

besides, the original wii ran games at 24/30FPS, because guess what, that's what the TV its made to connect to runs at, never seen anyone complain about FPS on the original wii ;)

What did you expect? Specs matching the PS4 in a portable device, with a 10 hour battery life and 250GB of flash for $199? I mean lets be real. They're going to charge you something like $200US for the dock and Joycons alone if you get them separately. I don't see how any of this is a surprise. Frankly I am a little bit underwhelmed with the package. But I expected basically exactly what it ended up being but for $250US. But did you see the Zelda trailer? Who gives a crap what the RRP is!

Fools think they know everything, experts know they know nothing

11 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

*looks at NOVA3 and Chaos Rings which take few GB each* it's gonna be rough for actual demanding games. 

Keep in mond that the games will most likely come on cartridges,  so you don't need to install them like on xbox one or ps4. It might be a problem for downloading titles though 

AMD Ryzen R7 1700 (3.8ghz) w/ NH-D14, EVGA RTX 2080 XC (stock), 4*4GB DDR4 3000MT/s RAM, Gigabyte AB350-Gaming-3 MB, CX750M PSU, 1.5TB SDD + 7TB HDD, Phanteks enthoo pro case

3 minutes ago, Coaxialgamer said:

Keep in mond that the games will most likely come on cartridges,  so you don't need to install them like on xbox one or ps4. It might be a problem for downloading titles though 

Beware of patch creep though. Like on the 3DS titles can at some point have mandatory patches if you want to keep up.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 minutes ago, manikyath said:

i dont freaking care what fps it runs at. i care the games are fun.

which is exactly the reason the most recent console on my shelf is an original wii, because the games were fun, and pretty much since then nintendo became seriously mehh for me, and the other two options started measuring dick size by shallow performance numbers.

besides, the original wii ran games at 24/30FPS, because guess what, that's what the TV its made to connect to runs at, never seen anyone complain about FPS on the original wii ;)

Well gee, I'm very sorry that I can experience motion sickness when looking at interactive media such as games at less than 60fps for an extended period of time.

This is completely my fault and it's definitely not something that products should try to fix or mitigate or anything. I mean, I don't totally buy products cos they do what I want or anything. No that would be too easy. I need to just suffer and just not enjoy life.

/sarcasm

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I'm very sorry that I can experience motion sickness if I look at anything lower than 60fps for an extended period of time.

you dont watch TV at all then that's ALL 24/30Hz ;)

1 minute ago, manikyath said:

I don't watch TV but that's for other reasons. if i'm interacting with media and it's below 60fps, i'm going to have a bad time.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

9 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I don't watch TV but that's for other reasons. if i'm interacting with media and it's below 60fps, i'm going to have a bad time.

how long has linus's content been 60FPS? that must have been a great improvement for you when that went trough.

3 hours ago, manikyath said:

how long has linus's content been 60FPS? that must have been a great improvement for you when that went trough.

INTERACTIVE MEDIA.

A.K.A Games........

46 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

But Pokémon GO needs LTE........ Did you think you'd get an LTE capable portable console for $299?

No :D. Lol, if they did release a model like that then it'd cost $399 or $449.

Well why not? LTE capeable phones are really cheap these days. So why not also have a cheap portable console with LTE?

At least Nintendo has finally made a device with ac wifi. It's only been out for... what almost 5 years now?

DELETE! DELETE!

EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE!

Silence will fall.

PSU Tier List - I keep forgetting where this is so I'm going to leave it here.

2 minutes ago, Senzelian said:

Well why not? LTE capeable phones are really cheap these days. So why not also have a cheap portable console with LTE?

LTE modems + a tablet or device which normally doesn't have a modem = VERY Expensive and Overpriced product.

18 minutes ago, manikyath said:

Not the same as a game which has to respond to you and give you feedback. I feel sick playing at 30fps too.

Watching a movie is OK, not great but it's fine because you don't have to interact with the movie.

Evga GTX 1080 SC ACX | Ryzen 5600X | MSI Tomahawk B550 | 16GB Vengeance 3600MHz | EVGA 650P2 | HAF X | WD SN850X | Asus MG287Q 1440p 144Hz

1 minute ago, Macimoar said:

At least Nintendo has finally made a device with ac wifi. It's only been out for... what almost 5 years now?

Budget phones may not have AC Wifi.

It's one of the few things that I dislike about my new phone. It still uses 802.11a/b/g/n.

3 hours ago, AluminiumTech said:

INTERACTIVE MEDIA.

A.K.A Games........

you must have had a very boring youth in terms of games then..

trough history, platforms that support 60FPS:

- PC

- select games on PS3

- select games on PS4

- select games on xbox 360

- select games on xbox one

- select games on wii U

@treeroy this is of interest to you as well.

3 minutes ago, manikyath said:

you must have had a very boring youth in terms of games then..

trough history, platforms that support 60FPS:

- PC

- select games on PS3

- select games on PS4

- select games on xbox 360

- select games on xbox one

- select games on wii U

@treeroy this is of interest to you as well.

Let's just say that I didn't binge on hours of Mario Kart or New Super Mario Bros with my DSi when I was young.

Even when I had my iPad (retina display/gen 4) I had to stop playing some games after 30 minutes to keep me from feeling bad. My brother experiences similar things as well.

As for PC, I never play on game settings in games which do not allow me to achieve around 60fps or above. I always ensure that I have a minimum of 60fps.

49 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I liked Nintendo games in the past. But unless they are capable of running Skyrim off a potato, i'm still gonna care about specs.

It doesn't make sense to get the Switch for titles like Skyrim or Minecraft in the first place if you're already a PC gamer though. 

2 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

It doesn't make sense to get the Switch for titles like Skyrim or Minecraft in the first place if you're already a PC gamer though. 

This is a PORTABLE console.  What I would love is something that allows me to play awesome games when i'm not near my PC.

1 minute ago, AluminiumTech said:

Let's say that I didn't binge on hours of Mario Kart or Super Mario Bros with my DSi when I was young.

Even when I had my iPad (retina display/gen 4) I had to stop playing some games after 30 minutes to keep me from feeling bad. My brother experiences similar things as well.

As for PC, I never play on game settings in games which do not allow me to achieve around 60fps or above. I always ensure that I have a minimum of 60fps.

i'm sorry to break it to you then, but you're in a tiny minority of people that's too small for devs to really care about.

dont take that as a personal attack, that's simply how it is. there may be one percent of people like you, where the increased cost of development and manufacturing hugely outweighs losing the market that is you guys.

3 minutes ago, Mooshi said:

i dont understand console minecraft.. seriously.. i probably have in the thousands of hours of pc minecraft, i simply cannot grasp why console minecraft exists.

(in terms of skyrim, i fail to see how they have the balls to call the pc version a pc version, and i dont understand why it suddenly needs to be on nintendo stuff 6 years after launch.)

2 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

This is a PORTABLE console.  What I would love is something that allows me to play awesome games when i'm not near my PC.

fun fact: in college one of my fellow "students" had a macbook something i dont know which one it was they all look the same.

it ran skyrim on battery, for a few hours, at 720p (display res) 60hz.

that dude didnt only slightly recover my faith in mac people, but also in macbooks.

4 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

When I'm out the last thing I'd like to do is play a PC game, but to each their own.

53 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I meant generic ARM CPUs. Custom Chips can obviously add that functionality but my understanding is that Nvidia uses off the shelf designed cores and they have no SATA support.

That's not really how ARM works. I mean, you are right that the generic ARM CPUs doesn't support SATA, but that's because it is not up to the CPU cores to support it.

It's kind of like saying that Intel's CPUs doesn't support DDR4. It is true that the CPU cores itself doesn't, but the memory controller they have added alongside the CPU cores does.

It's the same with SoCs. The development board for the Tegra X1 supports SATA so I am fairly sure the "retail version" of it supports it too. It all depends on how Nvidia designed the rest of the board.

The small amount of storage is probably for cost, weight and size reasons. They probably could fit an SSD in there, but chose not to for those three reasons.

39 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

If I were going to buy that (let's be honest here. I'm not going to, no matter what happens), Nintendo would need to make sure ALL games run at 60fps or above AT ALL TIMES.

Eh it runs games at 1080P 60FPS when docked from what i have heard so I think it should be able to run at 720p30 or 60 so IMO it is definitely fine.I and I am pretty sure many other people would prefer more battery life than stable 60FPS in handheld mode.

1 minute ago, LAwLz said:

That's not really how ARM works. I mean, you are right that the generic ARM CPUs doesn't support SATA, but that's because it is not up to the CPU cores to support it.

It's kind of like saying that Intel's CPUs doesn't support DDR4. It is true that the CPU cores itself doesn't, but the memory controller they have added alongside the CPU cores does.

It's the same with SoCs. The development board for the Tegra X1 supports SATA so I am fairly sure the "retail version" of it supports it too. It all depends on how Nvidia designed the rest of the board.

The small amount of storage is probably for cost, weight and size reasons. They probably could fit an SSD in there, but chose not to for those three reasons.

with all that, one gotta wonder why the raspberry pi (aside from wifi on the 3) only has one usb2.0 port worth of bandwidth...

i'm sorry to break it to you then, but you're in a tiny minority of people that's too small for devs to really care about.

All that is required to fix this is for a game to run at a mediocre 60fps. This is not 120fps I'm talking about. This is 60fps........

there may be one percent of people like you, where the increased cost of development and manufacturing hugely outweighs losing the market that is you guys.

So making something run at 60fps vs less than 60fps means increased cost of development? yeah but it doesn't mean that the product shouldn't do it.

2 minutes ago, manikyath said:

fun fact: in college one of my fellow "students" had a macbook something i dont know which one it was they all look the same.

it ran skyrim on battery, for a few hours, at 720p (display res) 60hz.

that dude didnt only slightly recover my faith in mac people, but also in macbooks.

But does it run almost all the games I have on Steam at 60fps at 1080p?

No. Didn't think so.

2 minutes ago, AG1233 said:

Eh it runs games at 1080P 60FPS when docked from what i have heard so I think it should be able to run at 720p30 or 60 so IMO it is definitely fine.I and I am pretty sure many other people would prefer more battery life than stable 60FPS in handheld mode.

I'd rather it ran at 60fps and had short battery life. That way, we could call them out for it and make the 2nd Gen have way better battery.