Desk Computer Case Build

KingPizza

This is the beginning of a build log, I'll expand when I've started actually building the desk.

Taking notes from Linus' desk case video, I've decided to build my own desk computer case. I've NEVER done something like this before, so it'll be a learning experience if anything. All I have right now are the necessary dimensions and cutout points written down. I was hoping to get some initial feedback about my design ideas.

I've decided to build a simple rectangle box, instead of the one with leg cutouts like Linus did in his video. Computer parts aren't something I'm considering yet, because I don't plan to occupy the desk for another year, so I've used general ATX part dimensions when I made the measurements. The only thing that's for sure is the Hybrid AIO cooler from Swiftech that will allow the CPU and GPU to be in a closed loop system, with the radiator mounted as an exhaust. 4 120mm fans will blow in from the left, and exit through the 360mm radiator mounted on the right.

As per the video, all cuts will be able to come from a single piece of MDF from my local Home Depot for $25, and then a 4 ft. by 2 ft. tempered glass panel was quoted as being $144 after shipping. This was odd, as Linus made mention of glass panels being closer to $700 when they checked. I'll have to look more in to this.

P_20170112_235047_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20170112_235101_vHDR_Auto.jpg

4 minutes ago, KingPizza said:

Taking notes from Linus' desk case video, I've decided to build my own desk computer case. I've NEVER done something like this before, so it'll be a learning experience if anything. All I have right now are the necessary dimensions and cutout points written down. I was hoping to get some initial feedback about my design ideas.

I've decided to build a simple rectangle box, instead of the one with leg cutouts like Linus did in his video. Computer parts aren't something I'm considering yet, because I don't plan to occupy the desk for another year, so I've used general ATX part dimensions when I made the measurements. The only thing that's for sure is the Hybrid AIO cooler from Swiftech that will allow the CPU and GPU to be in a closed loop system, with the radiator mounted as an exhaust. 4 120mm fans will blow in from the left, and exit through the 360mm radiator mounted on the right.

As per the video, all cuts will be able to come from a single piece of MDF from my local Home Depot for $25, and then a 4 ft. by 2 ft. tempered glass panel was quoted as being $144 after shipping. This was odd, as Linus made mention of glass panels being closer to $700 when they checked. Can someone verify this?

P_20170112_235047_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20170112_235101_vHDR_Auto.jpg

im confused what your asking us to do. Are you asking us to see how much a tempered glass panel costs? Can you make a build log of this on the forums? i would love to read that.

3 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

im confused what your asking us to do. Are you asking us to see how much a tempered glass panel costs? Can you make a build log of this on the forums? i would love to read that.

As would I.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization

11 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

Sorry, I guess I could have been more clear. I'm not asking anything, this IS the start of a build log. This is all I have so far but I'll expand when I actually begin building. The question at the end was just something someone could answer if they want, not the entire purpose of this thread.

4 minutes ago, KingPizza said:

Sorry, I guess I could have been more clear. I'm not asking anything, this IS the start of a build log. This is all I have so far but I'll expand when I actually begin building. The question at the end was just something someone could answer if they want, not the entire purpose of this thread.

oh!!!!!!!!! sorry. I am excited to see the next part of the build log!

4 minutes ago, Legolessed said:

oh!!!!!!!!! sorry. I am excited to see the next part of the build log!

That's encouraging! I'm excited for the next part too.

Work will hopefully begin tomorrow, but in the mean time, some adjustments have been made, and I will lay out a few more details.

I've decided to put the leg cutouts in. I don't want to regret not having done it, so I had to re-measure the plans to account for that. I also hit up Home Depot today to get all the parts I'll need. After that visit I've decided I'm going to use Plywood instead of MDF. It's stronger, has the same smooth finish if you sand it, and it'll accept screws much better if glue doesn't work well.

All the parts we are using will be in the picture below. There's nothing fancy here, just a Skill saw, a sander, a jigsaw, a drill, and various measuring and screwing tools. The hole saw is 4.5inches in diameter, which is the perfect size hole for 120mm fans. This seems to be the bare minimum required for this project, and it should be enough, no need for any crazy 3D printers or table saws.

The entire thing is going to be primed and painted black, and the PC components will be white.

P_20170118_201603_vHDR_Auto.jpg

P_20170118_201142_vHDR_Auto.jpg