(Updated with more details) Nintendo Official: Switch will launch March 3rd - $299

shermantanker

C2BoUoUUoAAJAcs.jpg:large

Nintendo has finally revealed the price and release date for its much-anticipated Switch console: it’s launching on March 3rd worldwide, and in North America the console will be available for $299.99. It’ll be launching alongside a new minigame collection called 1-2 Switch, which aims to show off some of the unique features of the Switch’s controllers, as well as the much-anticipated Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild. The device also won’t feature region-locking for software, so you can play games from any region no matter where you buy your console.

Well this is pretty cool. It is out much sooner then I thought, and the price seems reasonable for what you get. I am hoping that this works well as a product, and isn't just another gimmick. Still not sure if I'll pick one up yet myself, and will likely end up waiting until much much later in the year and see how things play out.

Verge

UPDATE: Looks like Zelda: Breath of the Wild will also launch on March 3 according to Nintendo's Twitter. Not seeing anything else yet on any other launch titles. -Verge

UPDATE: More details on features and games.

- Games will not be Region locked. - Verge

- Switch will switch from a free to a paid online service... no pricing as of yet. - Verge (will be on a free trial until sometime this fall)

- The handheld is charged over Type C - Verge

- Splatoon 2 for the Switch, Sometime this summer. - Verge

- Mario Cart 8: Deluxe Launching on the Switch April 28. - Verge

- EA Confirmed FIFA will be leased on the Switch, but no ETA on that. - Verge

- Motion Controller boxing game "Arms" will launch sometime in the spring. - Verge

UPDATE: More junk from the Verge here... Mario end of this year, Xenoblade, more then 80 games in development...

Update: More specs via GoodBytes

Some of the specs of the system are:

• 6.2 inch screen (same size as the WiiU gamepad controller screen, if you want to visualize it)
  • Display is a capacitive multi-touch screen.
  • Display resolution: 720p (WiiU was 480p)
  • Console can do 1080p 60fps when docked. The system overclocks when docks (or plugged in), and outputs over HDMI this higher resolution.
  • 2.5h to 6h battery life depending on the game and screen brightness
  • HD rumble pack controllers allowing fine simulation of things in reality, like a glass with ice cubes inside, allowing you to be more submerged in the gaming world
  • Uses standard USB Type-C connector to charge, allowing easy connection with external batteries to extended sessions
  • Console is region lock free
  • Has wireless AC support
  • Controllers has sensor that can detect distance and hand shape when put in front of it.
  • Up to 8 system can be connected wirelessly for local multiplayer / mini LAN party
  • 32GB of storage BUT expandable via microSD card ( microSDHC  and microSDXC supported)
  • Dock features 2 USB ports for charging the joycns, and plugging in a USB Switch Ethernet Gigabit adapter (sold separately)
  • 5.1 surround sound support via HDMI

In typical fashion with Nintendo, we know nothing about the CPU, GPU and RAM.

Source: http://www.polygon.com/2017/1/13/14255984/nintendo-switch-hardware-specifications-screen-resolution

UPDATE: Accessory pricing via GoodBytes

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I hope you are rich.

Extra Docks (includes power adapter and HDMI cable), is $90 US. (no price in Canada)
1x Joyon (left OR right) is $49.99 US, BUT you can buy both bundled for $79.99 US. ($64.99$ Canadian and bundle: $99.99)
Pro controller is $69.99 US. ($89.99 Canadian)

Source: http://www.nintendo.com/en_CA/switch/buy-now/

damn... oh and the console is $399 Canadian, have fun with that luke...

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

I like the price but i don't feel the need to rush out and buy it. I really want to play zelda but it launches with the Wii U the same day. I might wait for Fire Emblem or the new Mario

I'm excited that I get to give it a whirl tomorrow. Will reserve my judgement for then.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

I was going to get this regardless, but at least I won't have to wait as long as I thought.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, Scruffy90 said:

I'm excited that I get to give it a whirl tomorrow. Will reserve my judgement for then.

Hell I am excited too. The last portable gaming device I had was a PSP. And the last portable gaming device I can recall of was Ps Vita and Nintendo 3DS

I'll probably get it day 1 because it's so cheap compared to every other console launch and I'm scared they might pull a NES Classic :/

CPU Intel i5 4690k Mobo Gigabyte B85M-D3H GPU Sapphire Nitro AMD R9 Fury RAM 16.0GB @1600Mhz HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 

SSD Samsung EVO 250GB PSU Corsair CS750M  Case Corsair 350D Cooling Corsair H80i Monitor 2x AOC 2769M IPS Os Win 10 Home   

I'm really liking the sound of this thing. I might actually decide to buy it.

Might.

Anyone have specifics on the hardware?

EDIT: "Specifics" as in specific specs. I know it's a custom Tegra chip, but that's just branding.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

1 minute ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Hell I am excited too. The last portable gaming device I had was a PSP. And the last portable gaming device I can recall of was Ps Vita and Nintendo 3DS

I'm going to the showing they mentioned at the end of the presentation at Nintendo World. Hopefully it wows me.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Just now, Dash Lambda said:

Might.

It has a CPU and GPU and plays games...

I don't think any hardware has been confirmed.

Cor Caeruleus Reborn v6

Spoiler

CPU: Intel - Core i7-8700K

CPU Cooler: be quiet! - PURE ROCK 
Thermal Compound: Arctic Silver - 5 High-Density Polysynthetic Silver 3.5g Thermal Paste 
Motherboard: ASRock Z370 Extreme4
Memory: G.Skill TridentZ RGB 2x8GB 3200/14
Storage: Samsung - 850 EVO-Series 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung - 960 EVO 500GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Storage: Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive
Storage: Western Digital - BLACK SERIES 3TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive
Video Card: EVGA - 970 SSC ACX (1080 is in RMA)
Case: Fractal Design - Define R5 w/Window (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA P2 750W with CableMod blue/black Pro Series
Optical Drive: LG - WH16NS40 Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft - Windows 10 Pro OEM 64-bit and Linux Mint Serena
Keyboard: Logitech - G910 Orion Spectrum RGB Wired Gaming Keyboard
Mouse: Logitech - G502 Wired Optical Mouse
Headphones: Logitech - G430 7.1 Channel  Headset
Speakers: Logitech - Z506 155W 5.1ch Speakers

4 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Might.

They confirmed a while ago that it was going to have an Nvidia Tegra x2 and a 720p screen

2 minutes ago, ARikozuM said:

It has a CPU and GPU and plays games...

I don't think any hardware has been confirmed.

It's probably a Tegra X. 

I thought that Zen will release March 3rd :P 
Zen powered Nintendo confirmed!? /s

hello!

is it me you're looking for?

ᴾC SᴾeCS ᴰoWᴺ ᴮEᴸoW

Spoiler

Desktop: X99-PC

CPU: i7 5820k

Mobo: X99 Deluxe

Cooler: Dark Rock Pro 3

RAM: 32GB DDR4
GPU: GTX 1080

Storage: 1TB 850 Evo, 1TB HDD, bunch of external hard drives
PSU: EVGA G2 750w

Peripherals: Logitech G502, Ducky One 711

Audio: Xonar U7, O2 amplifier (RIP), HD6XX

Monitors: 4k 24" Dell monitor, 1080p 24" Asus monitor

Laptop:

-Overkill Dell XPS

Fully maxed out early 2017 Dell XPS 15, GTX 1050 4GB, 7700HQ, 1TB nvme SSD, 32GB RAM, 4k display. 97Whr battery :x 
Dell was having a $600 off sale for the fully specced out model, so I decided to get it :P

-Crapbook

Fully specced out early 2013 Macbook "pro" with gt 650m and constant 105c temperature on the CPU (GPU is 80-90C) when doing anything intensive...

A 2013 laptop with a regular sized battery still has better battery life than a 2017 laptop with a massive battery! I think this is a testament to apple's ability at making laptops, or maybe how little CPU technology has improved even 4+ years later (at least, until the recent introduction of 15W 4 core CPUs). Anyway, I'm never going to get a 35W CPU laptop again unless battery technology becomes ~5x better than as it is in 2018.

Apple knows how to make proper consumer-grade laptops (they don't know how to make pro laptops though). I guess this mostly software power efficiency related, but getting a mac makes perfect sense if you want a portable/powerful laptop that can do anything you want it to with great battery life.

3 minutes ago, Simurgh said:

I'll probably get it day 1 because it's so cheap compared to every other console launch and I'm scared they might pull a NES Classic :/

Oh, I wouldn't worry about that.

Sure, there might be short supply, but they'd be shooting themselves somewhere much higher than the foot if they were to purposefully choke supply like with the NES classic. It's just too big a release.

"Do as I say, not as I do."

-Because you actually care if it makes sense.

Its been nearly 10 years since I got a console but finally I have a reason to buy another, and not just for exclusives functionality is a major boon to this console

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

8 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

Last I had was the DS I think, without the backlight.

Main Rig "Rocinante" - Ryzen 9 5900X, EVGA FTW3 RTX 3080 Ultra Gaming, 32GB 3600MHz DDR4

Just now, shermantanker said:

Last I had was the DS I think, without the backlight.

DS? Without the 3? So it's technically 1DS? 

10 minutes ago, Dash Lambda said:

Might.

EDIT: "Specifics" as in specific specs. I know it's a custom Tegra chip, but that's just branding.

I have exclusive news from the event. 

rv1qirazwu8y.png

CPU Intel i5 4690k Mobo Gigabyte B85M-D3H GPU Sapphire Nitro AMD R9 Fury RAM 16.0GB @1600Mhz HDD Seagate Barracuda 1TB 

SSD Samsung EVO 250GB PSU Corsair CS750M  Case Corsair 350D Cooling Corsair H80i Monitor 2x AOC 2769M IPS Os Win 10 Home   

i don t understand the hype for the realse there aren t any launch title unless zelda and mario kart 

3 minutes ago, deXxterlab97 said:

DS? Without the 3? So it's technically 1DS? 

I honestly can't remember what it was called lol, I think was like 13 or something.

EDIT: It was the freaking Gameboy Advance SP, god I feel old now.

It looks interesting, but if I buy it will probably be like I did with PS4: in the middle of the console's lifetime once it gets really cheap and there are a good number of quality exclusives. Even better at bargain basement prices like all the exclusives I picked up when I got my PoorStation last month. But Mario Odyssey might test my console buying strategy. xD

1 minute ago, Hunter115 said:

i don t understand the hype for the realse there aren t any launch title unless zelda and mario kart 

zelda was all it needed

1 minute ago, SCGazelle said:

zelda was all it needed

why i don t get it

it looks fun but not enought