Dell laptop NVME SSD write Slowdown

New to this though racking my brain trying to figure it out.

the setup,

Dell Precision 5510 laptop.

quad core i7.

16gb DDR4

Samsung 951 NVME, Dell supplied.

windows 10 pro Build 14393.

stock units basically.

The issue at hand.

it seems i am getting slow write performance. Other teams are seeing it on the same hardware and other than calling dell support to fake it and get a new drive to test i am not sure what else to do.

I have run some SSD benchmark tools and they all come out the same

roughly 1500mbps read. 300 write.

installing windows takes 30 min almost now. or any app. the slow down is noticeable.

I have tried different samsung NVME drivers, no luck

Tried changing it from AHCI to Raid mode to use the Intel RST. no luck

they have the same motherboard as the new Dell 15" XPS units.

i am curious if anyone out there has the same unit or the late 2016 kerbylake Dell XPS 15 units with an PCIE ssd.

curious what your speeds are.

or if anyone has any tips on how to boost up speeds on it please let me know.

I would agree to a point. though using PCIe ssd NVMe and normal ssd's on personal and desktops for a while i do not see it that drastic.

Also the MFG states 900 as write.  300mbps as write is a shame compared to a samsung 850 evo.

also in case i am reading my own tests wrong, (very likely after a long week)  there are other sites recording benchmarks on the ssd.

http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/30950/NVMe-SAMSUNG-MZVPV256

Also just checking other laptops in the house.

though they are using Sata SSD.  

Precision 3510

Read - 539, Write - 455. Intel Sata SSD.

Latitude E5580x

Read - 541, Write 523. Samsung 850 Evo

why would the Nvme be slower  writes than a standard sata ssd?

am i doing something wrong? or am i miss-interrupting the benchmarks of NVME  online?

These SSDs have heat issues also. Write is more demanding to the controller than reading. More heat = throttling. Just a bit of a flaw with these Samsung drives.

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

3 hours ago, NelizMastr said:

These SSDs have heat issues also. Write is more demanding to the controller than reading. More heat = throttling. Just a bit of a flaw with these Samsung drives.

Thanks ZeilzMastr.

i will check the thermals on it when i get to the office. a fresh cold laptop from great Canadian winter should be a decent baseline test monitoring the change in temp.

1 hour ago, Falconevo said:

Put the drive in to Samsung Magician and check the wear level of the drive also once you have the correct NVMe driver.

Those OEM drives aren't supported by Magician if I remember correctly. They never have been.

That's not entirely true, it has all the S.M.A.R.T information for the drive, which is what we are needing to see;

Example;

Capture.PNG

Please quote or tag me if you need a reply

On 1/13/2017 at 0:32 PM, Falconevo said:

That's not entirely true, it has all the S.M.A.R.T information for the drive, which is what we are needing to see;

would love to.
though they have updated the tool to now be 5.0. it seems to remove all previously provided info from non samsung drives. since Dell has a dammed custom bios on it. it wont let me. oh yay OEM.

I am searching for the old 4.9.7 version to install. it should be able to dump its smart status.

• 6 years later...

This thread popped up on Google page 1 so I might just give everyone the answer that worked on my 5510 (and probably most other slow DELL NVME): https://www.rswilley.com/blog/how-to-fix-slow-write-speed-of-toshiba-ssd-on-the-dell-xps

If the site is gone, simply turn off Windows write-cache buffer flushing on that NVME drive. You're welcome!