Please, please I need help with Overclocking, potato PC.

Dear Captains,

Please oh please, rescue me from this misery. I understand that the simple solution for this is to buy newer parts but please, kindly look at my setup if there's something we could do about it... Like tweaking the GPU's power, what graphics options to WATCHout so I won't experience lag, etc etc. Thanks in advance.

Specs:

PSU: Corsair VS450

GPU: "INNO 3D Geforce GTX 750ti Overclock"(says right in the box)

2GB DDR5 TXAA PHYSX DIRECTX11

with only one fan & without a 6-pin requirement

NOTE: The GPU's box states the word "OVERCLOCK" across the name GTX750ti

CPU: Core i3-3220 3.3GHz (with a traditional cooling fan, no hsf or liquid coolers,etc)

Mobo: MSI MS-7788

RAM: 8GB DDR3 (2 x 4GB)

HDD: 500GB 7200RPM

I need help because I really am desperate and starting to feel frustrated why I bought this potato GPU that's been with me for two (2) months now. You might be thinking why, well I grabbed this for its price. Anybody, please help. I want to get a decent amount of fps in DotA 2 not dropping it lower than 50fps when clashing because I even get as low as 36-38 when team fights occur.

-What overclocking program to use? (aside from msi afterburner, & unengine)

-Tips on what I should consider? Do I still have a chance to overclock this?

Just use Afterburner and creep up the clock speed and see if it crashes.

Also, overclock a potato still means it's a potato.

I wouldn't trust that power supply to overclock in all honesty.

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

8 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

But it will be a supa potato Image result for super potato

12 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

will do, thanks cap. In MSI Afterburner. Is the CORE VOLTAGE in MBurner immovable? I can't dial it

5 minutes ago, RKRiley said:

I wouldn't trust that power supply to overclock in all honesty.

Thanks for the honest opinion, Capt. Well, at least a little bit of overclocking would do right? Or no? haha pls help at least +10fps

2 minutes ago, John Leonard said:

Thanks for the honest opinion, Capt. Well, at least a little bit of overclocking would do right? Or no? haha pls help at least +10fps

You should be fine with a little overclock as that card doesn't use too much power anyways.

+10 fps might not be doable though :P 

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

3 minutes ago, John Leonard said:

will do, thanks cap. In MSI Afterburner. Is the CORE VOLTAGE in MBurner immovable? I can't dial it

Voltage is probably locked on your card.

Honestly, I have been a dota player for quite sometime now but a GTX 750TI is well enough to get an average FPS. Try cleaning out your system is terms of registry cleaning (ccleaner) and use Malwarebytes to get malware off, and see the FPS again. OR it might just prolly be a driver issue. 

P/S if you're looking for a better card i'd go for the RX 470.

Goodluck!

3 minutes ago, AlwaysFSX said:

Voltage is probably locked on your card.

I'm afraid you're right, Sir. It's GREYED-OUT in Msi Afterburner, meaning I can't toggle it. :( Is it because I'm having a 750ti Overclock edition? I'm really confused. If there's a way to toggle it, what would be the best range?

4 minutes ago, Gary Ryan said:

Honestly, I have been a dota player for quite sometime now but a GTX 750TI is well enough to get an average FPS. Try cleaning out your system is terms of registry cleaning (ccleaner) and use Malwarebytes to get malware off, and see the FPS again. OR it might just prolly be a driver issue. 

P/S if you're looking for a better card i'd go for the RX 470.

Goodluck!

As what I've read, too Sir. GTX750ti is enough for it, not necessarily running the game in an Ultra setting. Thing is, my system is well cleaned, dusted and newly formatted like a few hours ago (64-bit OS). If it's a driver issue, how come if I have the most updated one? Makes me feel sad, wasted money for this card :( 

6 minutes ago, John Leonard said:

I'm afraid you're right, Sir. It's GREYED-OUT in Msi Afterburner, meaning I can't toggle it. :( Is it because I'm having a 750ti Overclock edition? I'm really confused. If there's a way to toggle it, what would be the best range?

It's just because it's a 750 Ti, what version you have doesn't matter. And no, you probably can't force it to unlock the voltage.

1 minute ago, AlwaysFSX said:

It's just because it's a 750 Ti, what version you have doesn't matter. And no, you probably can't force it to unlock the voltage.

Ticked the box saying "Unlock voltage control" and now I can dial it... Not really sure about the amount to set, since it says it's locked by default due to safety reasons. How should I go about it?

As what I've read, too Sir. GTX750ti is enough for it, not necessarily running the game in an Ultra setting. Thing is, my system is well cleaned, dusted and newly formatted like a few hours ago (64-bit OS). If it's a driver issue, how come if I have the most updated one? Makes me feel sad, wasted money for this card :( 

The new update 7.0 causes a lot of delay lags and screen tearing indeed. I just upgraded my 750ti to an Sapphire R9 280 and never been happier. (: 

P/S try using DDU to re-install GPU driver. Due to fresh install of windows, Microsoft basic adapter might still be poking around the driver.

Ticked the box saying "Unlock voltage control" and now I can dial it... Not really sure about the amount to set, since it says it's locked by default due to safety reasons. How should I go about it?

1 minute ago, Gary Ryan said:

The new update 7.0 causes a lot of delay lags and screen tearing indeed. I just upgraded my 750ti to an Sapphire R9 280 and never been happier. (: 

P/S try using DDU to re-install GPU driver. Due to fresh install of windows, Microsoft basic adapter might still be poking around the driver.

MK's ULT ruined fps of potato pc's lol Congrats with your R9 280, Sir. I really don't have plants to hurt more of my budget just to avail 1 another GPU. This 750ti of mine is just 2months old :(

Anyways, DDU? Sorry but I really am not familiar with the term. Would you mind teaching me? Thanks

• 6 years later...
On 1/12/2017 at 9:07 PM, AlwaysFSX said:

i tried on mine but the parameters, and settings dont show up 😞 its like turned off (btw intel hd graphics 4 gb ram)