Laptop for Psychology Experiments

Hi! The main reason I need a good gpu and cpu is because I am running psychology experiments. These experiments require that there is a good response time acquisition by two softwares:

Emotiv Testbench (https://www.emotiv.com/product/emotiv-pure-eeg/) and E-Prime PST Software 2.0 (https://www.pstnet.com/downloads/productsheets/EPRIME.pdf).

The experiment design requires the subjects or the people playing the "game" will have to respond as fast as possible pressing either a key on a keyboard or a click on a mouse. The usual problem encountered with this is that E-Prime acquires the reaction time of the subject (translated to input lag from periferals) while it sends the stimulus or image (frame sync) to the Emotiv Testbench as a time stamp of the occured event (translated to cpu speed). While at the same time of performing the "game" the subject wears an Electroencephalograph and it record brain waves as in a Brain Computer Interface. 

E-Prime software has minimum hardware and software requirements.

These are the requirements:

E-Prime® 3.0 is compatible with PCs running:

• Windows® 10 64-bit
  • Windows® 8/8.1 64-bit
  • Windows® 7 SP1 32 and 64-bit

Minimum Recommended
  • Pentium i3 Processor 2GHz or higher
  • 2GB RAM
  • DirectX™ video card
  • USB Port
  • Pentium i7 Processor 2GHz or higher
  • 4GB RAM or higher
  • DirectX™ 11 video card with 128MB RAM or higher*
  • Chronos® or a Core Audio sound card compatible for audio presentation
  • USB Port
  • Internet Connection**

* DirectX 11 Hardware Acceleration required for Windows 8 and Windows 10.

** For installation and design purposes only. Not recommended during data collection.

Please use Recommended hardware requirements for millisecond accurate timing while playing movies.

______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Can someone recommend a budget LAPTOP ranging from $100.00-$600.00 USD?

Maybe recommend between quad core and dual core, low input lag and response time of monitor and periferals; and best cpu processing speed for the budget??

1 minute ago, JV5185 said:

Minimum Recommended
  • Pentium i3 Processor 2GHz or higher
  • 2GB RAM
  • DirectX™ video card
  • USB Port
  • Pentium i7 Processor 2GHz or higher
  • 4GB RAM or higher
  • DirectX™ 11 video card with 128MB RAM or higher*
  • Chronos® or a Core Audio sound card compatible for audio presentation
  • USB Port
  • Internet Connection**

I've never heard of a Pentium i3 or Pentium i7. 

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

I've never heard of a Pentium i3 or Pentium i7. 

Interesting. That's what it says on their web page. Do they know what they are saying?

2 minutes ago, JV5185 said:

Interesting. That's what it says on their web page. Do they know what they are saying?

They just mean a Core i3 or Core i7. I just thought that was funny, the developers of high end software not knowing the names of basic hardware.

Main System: Phobos

AMD Ryzen 7 2700 (8C/16T), ASRock B450 Steel Legend, 16GB G.SKILL Aegis DDR4 3000MHz, AMD Radeon RX 570 4GB (XFX), 960GB Crucial M500, 2TB Seagate BarraCuda, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations/macOS Catalina

Secondary System: York

Intel Core i7-2600 (4C/8T), ASUS P8Z68-V/GEN3, 16GB GEIL Enhance Corsa DDR3 1600MHz, Zotac GeForce GTX 550 Ti 1GB, 240GB ADATA Ultimate SU650, Windows 10 Pro for Workstations

Older File Server: Yet to be named

Intel Pentium 4 HT (1C/2T), Intel D865GBF, 3GB DDR 400MHz, ATI Radeon HD 4650 1GB (HIS), 80GB WD Caviar, 320GB Hitachi Deskstar, Windows XP Pro SP3, Windows Server 2003 R2

Just now, Jamiec1130 said:

They just mean a Core i3 or Core i7. I just thought that was funny, the developers of high end software not knowing the names of basic hardware.

Allright. I guess it could be an honest mistake or maybe saying that it could range from Intel Pentium all the way through i7.

surface pro 4 would be a good choice. if you want beefy computer msi stealth vr would work.  

3 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

surface pro 4 would be a good choice. if you want beefy computer msi stealth vr would work.  

5 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

Microsoft Surface

How much ram would you recommend? 4 or 8 gb?

Just now, JV5185 said:

depending on your budget i would go for minimum of 8. may i ask what your budget is also currency. 

1 minute ago, JV5185 said:

If you can, get the model with 8gb and 256gb storage, but I believe that would be over your budget.

Computers r fun

2 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

If you can, get the model with 8gb and 256gb storage, but I believe that would be over your budget.

yeah that would be correct. I dont mind going up to $1,000.00 USD. I was thinking the razer might do it if I wait for the price to come down but I've seen that it performs worse than a MacPro though I'm not saying it's bad but was hoping that one would do it. Thinking about the MSI because of the gaming option. Though the Surface caught my attention just now.