Why is AMD losing against NVIDIA?

So I've found an interesting video on youtube that explains why AMD is losing against NVIDIA. I can't believe how blind people can be and also so uneducated. The bad has already been done and there's no going back. Even if this is a non LTT video link, I think this video contains very important information that everyone here should know and I consider this video to be also a history lesson. Hopefully I can post a non LTT video link (I'm new) (Please make an exception for me ( ;) ) ( ;) )). 

Anyways, if you have ever wondered why is AMD losing against NVIDIA here's the video that explains that:

Answer (if you don't have time to watch the video):

Spoiler

Non-enthusiasts did it (NVIDIA fanboys).

And btw this looks similar as the Apple vs Android phone maker companies (imo).

This sort of topic is a big no no for a reason. There are pleanty of old posts on the forum if you want to know people's opinion.

Commence the shit-posting in 3...

PC - CPU Ryzen 5 1600 - GPU Power Color Radeon 5700XT- Motherboard Gigabyte GA-AB350 Gaming - RAM 16GB Corsair Vengeance RGB - Storage 525GB Crucial MX300 SSD + 120GB Kingston SSD   PSU Corsair CX750M - Cooling Stock - Case White NZXT S340

Peripherals - Mouse Logitech G502 Wireless - Keyboard Logitech G915 TKL  Headset Razer Kraken Pro V2's - Displays 2x Acer 24" GF246(1080p, 75hz, Freesync) Steering Wheel & Pedals Logitech G29 & Shifter

I cant watch the video right now, but that isnt the reason. AMD has repeatedly been producing lower quality products. They have been behind in innovation, and there marketing has been nearly as well. Besides, the vast market share exists in OEM products rather than custom built products, so your argument that "non enthusiasts did it" isnt exactly true. Nvidia has ran itself better as a business, and have produced better products. Look at the current generation for instance, nvidia has had 3 GPUS released for over 6 months that havent even been contested by AMD. This post violates community standards btw.

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

AMD losing? In high end-yes,mid and low end they actually win. They haven't focused yet on high end GPUs so sure they will lose there. Soon this will hopefully change with vega. Also marketing is what nvidia does more than AMD which helps them a lot.

Guys there is more to it. You have to watch the video to understand as my answer isn't exactly complete.

1 minute ago, ImDissapointed said:

Guys there is more to it. You have to watch the video to understand as my answer isn't exactly complete.

I will just say that this post is nothing new. People claim to have solved a complex analytical issue by watching some random youtube video. Odds are, the youtube video is no different than the posts on this topic; people with little data and little business analytics experience taking the information that is public and making a reasonable hypothesis. I dont need to see the video to know that it is speculation. 

******If you paste in text into your post, please click the "remove formatting" button for night theme users.******

CPU- Intel 6700k OC to 4.69 Ghz GPU- NVidia Geforce GTX 970 (MSI) RAM- 16gb DDR4 2400 SSD-2x500gb samsung 850 EVO(SATA) Raid 0 HDD- 2tb Seagate Case- H440 Red w/ custom lighting Motherboard - MSI Z170 Gaming A OS- Windows 10 Mouse- Razer Naga Epic Chroma, Final Mouse 2016 turney proKeyboard- Corsair k70 Cherry MX brown

5 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

AMD losing? In high end-yes,mid and low end they actually win. They haven't focused yet on high end GPUs so sure they will lose there. Soon this will hopefully change with vega. Also marketing is what nvidia does more than AMD which helps them a lot.

You are making claims without supporting data.

Computers r fun

2 minutes ago, TheNuzziNuzz said:

You are making claims without supporting data.

I am just saying the truth

Actually if you pay attention to the video, NVIDIA could easily crush AMD even with Vega. The author says the reason there, sadly I don't remeber at which minute was he saying that :(

Pretty sure this topic with that exact video has been posted before, regardless of what happened prior to the last couple generations they currently are lower end right now and are behind in the more profitable higher end market (per GPU), thus nothing else really matters until they step it up

Oh yeah and the person who made that video is a fanboy as they come, using steam for his numbers is idiotic use sales figures they're public

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/631048-psu-tier-list-updated/ Tier Breakdown (My understanding)--1 Godly, 2 Great, 3 Good, 4 Average, 5 Meh, 6 Bad, 7 Awful

3 minutes ago, frozeNNN said:

I am just saying the truth

To back it up with data, NVidia still has 70% of the market share on discrete graphics, and an even higher percent of proceeds (src). Regardless of mid end, high end, or whatever, AMD is still a ways behind, and they have yet to even contest Nvidia's flagship GPUs that have been released for over 6 months. 

9 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

To back it up with data, NVidia still has 70% of the market share on discrete graphics, and an even higher percent of proceeds (src). Regardless of mid end, high end, or whatever, AMD is still a ways behind, and they have yet to even contest Nvidia's flagship GPUs that have been released for over 6 months. 

The bad thing is that we are now stuck with GPU's over 600 dollars. If there will be no competition you can say bye bye to the PC master gaming industry.

18 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

I will just say that this post is nothing new. People claim to have solved a complex analytical issue by watching some random youtube video. Odds are, the youtube video is no different than the posts on this topic; people with little data and little business analytics experience taking the information that is public and making a reasonable hypothesis. I dont need to see the video to know that it is speculation. 

Ok man, I've just posted this for the people that don't know this not for the people that already know this.

12 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Pretty sure this topic with that exact video has been posted before, regardless of what happened prior to the last couple generations they currently are lower end right now and are behind in the more profitable higher end market (per GPU), thus nothing else really matters until they step it up

Oh yeah and the person who made that video is a fanboy as they come, using steam for his numbers is idiotic use sales figures they're public

How do you know he's a fanboy? And fanboy of what exactly?

It's a very big topic and can't be easily summed up in a forum post.  Everybody wants to think it's because of XYZ factor, but there's a lot more going on that we wouldn't know about.  A few off the top of my head:

- Differences in marketing strategie.  At times AMD, had superior products which sold significantly fewer than Nvidia.

- Gains made by Nvidia many years ago pushed them ahead, giving more capital available for R&D, making it easy to remain ahead and hard for AMD to catch up.

- GPU mining for crypto currencies skewed markets by creating short term shortages for gamers.

- Strategic planning played out very differently for AMD vs Nvidia.

- Legal crap such as licensing, patents, etc.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 minute ago, CostcoSamples said:

It's a very big topic and can't be easily summed up in a forum post.  Everybody wants to think it's because of XYZ factor, but there's a lot more going on that we wouldn't know about.  A few off the top of my head:

- Differences in marketing strategie.  At times AMD, had superior products which sold significantly fewer than Nvidia.

- Gains made by Nvidia many years ago pushed them ahead, giving more capital available for R&D, making it easy to remain ahead and hard for AMD to catch up.

- GPU mining for crypto currencies skewed markets by creating short term shortages for gamers.

- Strategic planning played out very differently for AMD vs Nvidia.

- Legal crap such as licensing, patents, etc.

Very true, the first 2 lines are explained in the video aswell.

1 minute ago, AresKrieger said:

Other videos, amd

You know that's kind of a weak argument and he explains why he posts videos only AMD related at the moment here:

And by the way, he also explains in this video why Vega will likely fail, if anyone is interested.

36 minutes ago, AresKrieger said:

Lol adored isn't an amd fan boy... he posts a lot of content about them but he bashes them when the time comes and he has nividai videos too but most of his stuff is just theories and comparisons. He also used sales figures in that same video... Did you even watch the whole thing ?

CPU: Intel i7 7700K | GPU: ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti | PSU: Seasonic X-1250 (faulty) | Memory: Corsair Vengeance RGB 3200Mhz 16GB | OS Drive: Western Digital Black NVMe 250GB | Game Drive(s): Samsung 970 Evo 500GB, Hitachi 7K3000 3TB 3.5" | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z270x Gaming 7 | Case: Fractal Design Define S (No Window and modded front Panel) | Monitor(s): Dell S2716DG G-Sync 144Hz, Acer R240HY 60Hz (Dead) | Keyboard: G.SKILL RIPJAWS KM780R MX | Mouse: Steelseries Sensei 310 (Striked out parts are sold or dead, awaiting zen2 parts)

47 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

I cant watch the video right now, but that isnt the reason. AMD has repeatedly been producing lower quality products. They have been behind in innovation, and there marketing has been nearly as well. Besides, the vast market share exists in OEM products rather than custom built products, so your argument that "non enthusiasts did it" isnt exactly true. Nvidia has ran itself better as a business, and have produced better products. Look at the current generation for instance, nvidia has had 3 GPUS released for over 6 months that havent even been contested by AMD. This post violates community standards btw.

Ehm.. no. If you actually watch the video you would know AMD has had far superior in the past but barely managed to make a profit at all while nVidia had products underwhelming compared to AMD yet people still go tthe nVidia product.

No content? I'd beg to differ again with the RX 470 beating the 1050Ti for ~$10-$15 more and will probably catch up to the 3GB 1060. Both the 4GB and 8GB 480 beats the 1060 3GB while being on par, ahead or only slightly behind which is in like 2 games which is GTA V and one other. Not to mention you can get 75Hz 1080p IPS 21-27" Freesync monitors for <$150 which is a bit upside to AMD. The only area AMD hasn't contested nVidia yet was the 1070 and 1080 and Titan XP which tbf was probably a good move to let them put full focus on Vega instead of dealing with another rebrand of products for a year.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

3 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Ehm.. no. If you actually watch the video you would know AMD has had far superior in the past but barely managed to make a profit at all while nVidia had products underwhelming compared to AMD yet people still go tthe nVidia product.

That doesnt change my argument. Nvidia has ran itself better as a business. They have done a much better job marketing, and regardless of physical hardware innovation, they have created a whole host of software including Geforce experience, Shadow play, and countless in game rendering settings. I have nothing against AMD, in fact, I very much want them to succeed, but it is impossible to ignore there shortcomings over the past few years.

AMD has historically only held about 30-40% of the market share. This number plummeted when they failed to release a competitor to the GTX 900 series GPUs for almost a year. Since then, there top end GPUs have all been dual GPUs which are less preferable for a variety of reasons. In addition, AMD may have had better products, but they have struggled in timeliness. GPU upgrades are very cyclical; people tend to update upgrade there products when the next generation drops. When Nvidia GPUs have consistently released months prior to AMD GPUs, people are more likely to upgrade to Nvidia products rather than waiting.  

2 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

That doesnt change my argument. Nvidia has ran itself better as a business. They have done a much better job marketing, and regardless of physical hardware innovation, they have created a whole host of software including Geforce experience, Shadow play, and countless in game rendering settings. I have nothing against AMD, in fact, I very much want them to succeed, but it is impossible to ignore there shortcomings over the past few years.

AMD has historically only held about 30-40% of the market share. This number plummeted when they failed to release a competitor to the GTX 900 series GPUs for almost a year. Since then, there top end GPUs have all been dual GPUs which are less preferable for a variety of reasons. In addition, AMD may have had better products, but they have struggled in timeliness. GPU upgrades are very cyclical; people tend to update upgrade there products when the next generation drops. When Nvidia GPUs have consistently released months prior to AMD GPUs, people are more likely to upgrade to Nvidia products rather than waiting.  

IMO The AMD counterparts of those are far superior now. Ya it might have taken them a bit to get them but they always did have these features. ReLive and AMD Settings was just a huge step up from Raptr ect.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

5 minutes ago, bgibbz said:

Actually AMD 6-9 years ago were releasing their GPUs faster than NVIDIA's ones and they were significantly better at a lower price. But I wouldn't need to mention this if you would've actually watched the video