A Noob wanting to learn overclocking an i7 6800K on a specific board

Go to solution Solved by toasty6776,

Basically (and this applies to every CPU on every motherboard) you go into the UEFI and bump up the clock speeds. Then you start your system and put a load on your CPU (something like aida64 stress test). If it doesn't crash for about 24 hours, you bump up the clock speed even more. Once it crashes, you increase the core voltage until you either get your system stable or you reach something around 1.38V (I wouldn't go much higher than that). If it's stable, bump up the clock speed again (you get where this is going). Basically, you can't do any damage to your system unless you push too high of a voltage into your CPU. Once you're settled on your max clock speed you can change the voltage to adaptive mode (if you want to) so the voltage dynamically changes with the clock speed (this only makes sense if you set your Windows energy management plan to balanced because your CPU will run at its max clock speed all of the time if it's set to full power (or whatever it's called) in Windows. If you're done with all of that you successfully overclocked your CPU to its maximum potential (on the cooling you're using).

Sorry for the long post. Here is a potato:  potato-01.jpg

EDIT: You should also keep an eye on temperatures.The CPU will thermal throttle before it takes any damage (you shouldn't hit that point anyways) but I personally wouldn't want my load temps to exceed 75°C. If you hit your temp target (or exceed it), dial down the voltage (and of course the clock speed if it isn't stable at that lower voltage).

Well,

I few days back I bought a new system with MSI Godlike Gaming Carbon edition and Intel 6800K.

I was thinking if anyone can help me overclock it.

Using the MSI Command Centre, I overclocked it to 3.9(ish) GHz, with Multipliers set to 40x, Core voltage 1.27V, Base Clock 100 MHz.

Can any of you just tell me the procedures of overclocking the 6800K on this motherboard? or may be give me some links to learn it from. Because Tom's Hardware is not for Noobs like me.

Sakib

Workstation:

CPU: Intel Core i9 7900X
CPU Cooler: NZXT Kraken X72

GPU: ASUS Strix GeForce GTX 1080-A-8G

RAM: 4 * GSkill Trident Z 8GB 3200 MHz

Motherboard: ASUS X299 Rampage VI Extreme

Storage: Samsung 950 Pro 256 GB + Seagate Barracuda 2 TB 7200RPM

PSU: Antec Signature PLATINUM 1300W

Case: Plantheks Enthoo Evolv X

Mouse: ROG Gladius II

Keyboard: Razer Huntsman Elite

HomeLab

CPU: Intel Core i7 6800K @3.9GHz
CPU Cooler: CoolerMaster MasterLiquid Pro 240

GPU: ASUS GT 710

RAM: 2 * Corsair LPX 8GB

Motherboard: MSI X99A Godlike Gaming Carbon Edition

Storage: ADATA 240 GB SSD + 3 * 1TB Toshiba HDD + 2 * 2TB Toshiba HDD

PSU: Thermaltake TR2 S Series 550W

Case: Phanteks ENTHOO EVOLV ATX GLASS

Basically (and this applies to every CPU on every motherboard) you go into the UEFI and bump up the clock speeds. Then you start your system and put a load on your CPU (something like aida64 stress test). If it doesn't crash for about 24 hours, you bump up the clock speed even more. Once it crashes, you increase the core voltage until you either get your system stable or you reach something around 1.38V (I wouldn't go much higher than that). If it's stable, bump up the clock speed again (you get where this is going). Basically, you can't do any damage to your system unless you push too high of a voltage into your CPU. Once you're settled on your max clock speed you can change the voltage to adaptive mode (if you want to) so the voltage dynamically changes with the clock speed (this only makes sense if you set your Windows energy management plan to balanced because your CPU will run at its max clock speed all of the time if it's set to full power (or whatever it's called) in Windows. If you're done with all of that you successfully overclocked your CPU to its maximum potential (on the cooling you're using).

EDIT: You should also keep an eye on temperatures.The CPU will thermal throttle before it takes any damage (you shouldn't hit that point anyways) but I personally wouldn't want my load temps to exceed 75°C. If you hit your temp target (or exceed it), dial down the voltage (and of course the clock speed if it isn't stable at that lower voltage).

WHIPLASH

CPU: Intel Core i7 6700k @4.7GHz

RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4 2x8GB @3000MHz

MOBO: Asus ROG Maximus VIII Ranger

GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 FTW2

PSU: EVGA Supernova 650GS

CASE: Fractal Design Define S

@toasty6776 24 hours is a very ling time for a small bump. I would say if it doesn't crash in an hour then move on and then do a bug test later on.

on my 8350 I got 4.5 at 1.45 v when it was unstable it crashed within minutes not hours.

¸„»°'´¸„»°'´ Vorticalbox `'°«„¸`'°«„¸
`'°«„¸¸„»°'´¸„»°'´`'°«„¸Scientia Potentia est  ¸„»°'´`'°«„¸`'°«„¸¸„»°'´

Thanks @toasty6776. This helped a lot.

15 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

Sakib

Workstation:

HomeLab

@vorticalbox You are probably right... If you want to save some time: Go ham on both voltage and clock speed. Start with 1.38V and 4.9GHz and see if it crashes immediately. If it does (which it probably will), dial down the clock speed. Once it doesn't crash instantly, dial down the voltage until it crashes again. Then dial in the last stable voltage and do a 24-hour run. It will yield the same results as above but much quicker.

WHIPLASH

3 minutes ago, sakibsadmanshajib said:

Thanks @toasty6776. This helped a lot.

Always glad if I can help. Be sure to check out my other reply, though since that first one really isn't the most efficient way to do it.

WHIPLASH

4 minutes ago, toasty6776 said:

Always glad if I can help. Be sure to check out my other reply, though since that first one really isn't the most efficient way to do it.

Well, I bought this PC with my full-year's savings. So, I guess I'll try the first way and do the stress testing for may be a couple of hour. I don't wanna fry my CPU with that much voltage.

Sakib

Workstation:

HomeLab

1 minute ago, sakibsadmanshajib said:

Well, I bought this PC with my full-year's savings. So, I guess I'll try the first way and do the stress testing for may be a couple of hour. I don't wanna fry my CPU with that much voltage.

1.38V is still safe. You just shouldn't go much further. So the second method still is just as safe.

WHIPLASH