How bad is a TN Panel?

momsspaghetti

Hey,

I'm currently having a Dell U2515H 1440p 60hz IPS monitor.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00SPWPF1O/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484170098&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=dell+u2515h&dpPl=1&dpID=41xlxTUPeIL&ref=plSrch

60 fps works fine with my GTX 970 but since I'm planning on upgrading on a GTX 1070 I thought about going with a 1440p 144hz monitor. The only one I can possibly afford is the DELL S2417DG with a TN Panel.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B01IOO4SGK/ref=mp_s_a_1_cc_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1484169944&sr=1-1-catcorr&pi=AC_SX236_SY340_FMwebp_QL65&keywords=dell%2Bgaming%2Bmonitor&th=1&psc=1

I read that the panel is better than other TN panels, but I'm still not sure how worse it will be compared to my current IPS. What do you say, is G sync, 1440p, 144hz worth it or would you go with a TN Panel. 

The TN Panel you have picked out can actually get fairly close to an IPS panel once you calibrate it properly. however there's still some color shifting off angles, though this is more of an issue for larger monitors. 

if you want a bit more color pop IPS panels can usually do, you can add in digital vibrance and mess around with the settings in the Nvidia control panel. 

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

There is no "TN-panel" or "IPS panel". There are different panels that need to be judged seperately.

G-sync is poor value.

yes there are... 

also g-sync can act slightly better + larger functional, consistent range than freesync. 

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

There is no "TN-panel" or "IPS panel". There are different panels that need to be judged seperately.

G-sync is poor value.

What do you mean no TN panel or IPS panel? they are different technologies. it's like saying that there's no difference between OLED and LCD when there obviously is.

TN panel is cheaper, has higher refresh rates, etc. but also has very poor viewing angles, and pretty bad colors. decide if you are okay with bad viewing angles and colors

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

What do you mean no TN panel or IPS panel? they are different technologies. it's like saying that there's no difference between OLED and LCD when there obviously is.

TN panel is cheaper, has higher refresh rates, etc. but also has very poor viewing angles, and pretty bad colors. decide if you are okay with bad viewing angles and colors

I'm assuming what he was trying to say is that not all TN panels and IPS panels are created equally. Again, I'm not sure if that's what he/she was trying to say but I think I could agree with that. I think the new TN ROG monitors that Linus was checking out were amazing in terms of color and the poor viewing angles were almost negligible so nowadays, it really depends on the exact models of monitor you're comparing.

5 minutes ago, Technicolors said:

The TN Panel you have picked out can actually get fairly close to an IPS panel once you calibrate it properly. however there's still some color shifting off angles, though this is more of an issue for larger monitors. 

if you want a bit more color pop IPS panels can usually do, you can add in digital vibrance and mess around with the settings in the Nvidia control panel. 

yes there are... 

also g-sync can act slightly better + larger functional, consistent range than freesync. 

You do realise calibration of panels is moot for 3D applications. Once you launch, windows just grabs the default ICC profile and it's shit again.

Believe me, i've tried making it work and it is always going to revolve around barely functioning 3rd party apps and agony. Get a factory-tuned panel instead.

And no, paying >100-200 euro extra for an FPGA and licensing fees is poor value. Yes the quality control on AMD's side is shit, but that's what these forums are for.

5 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

I'm saying there is no (((TN panel))) or (((IPS Panel))). There are different models of each. There are good TN panels and terrible IPS panels.

His 2515H however is factory calibrated dell IPS panel. Swapping to an uncalibrated TN panel is going to look pretty terrible.

I would (and am soon) go with the 1440 144Hz. The only real differences is the viewing angles, which if you have it on a desk infront of you doesn't matter very much even if you are looking at it from a bit of an angle. Colors are more vibrant in IPS panels, but it's not like TNs are bad, just not as good

45 minutes ago, Majestic said:

You do realise calibration of panels is moot for 3D applications. Once you launch, windows just grabs the default ICC profile and it's shit again.

Believe me, i've tried making it work and it is always going to revolve around barely functioning 3rd party apps and agony. Get a factory-tuned panel instead.

And no, paying >100-200 euro extra for an FPGA and licensing fees is poor value. Yes the quality control on AMD's side is shit, but that's what these forums are for.

you can change the default ICC profile yourself, you just need a profile. TFTcentral and pcmonitors.info provide them, but you're right that some applications change or use their own profile, so it's fiddly. 

there isn't much you can do about it. someone has to pay for the gsync module

Look, ON AVERAGE...

A TN panel will have better response times and better refresh rates than IPS panels.

An IPS panel will have better viewing angles and better color accuracy than TN panels.

but...

Not all IPS panels are created equal and not all TN panels are created equal.

You will find IPS panels that will meet and/or exceed many TN panels in refresh rates and/or response times.

You will find some TN panels that will meet and/or exceed many IPS panels in color accuracy (viewing angles will still be crap, but who spends all their time looking at their monitor at a 45 degree angle, anyway).

Freesync vs. G-sync. Freesync only works with AMD cards. G-sync only works with Nvidia cards. The monitors will function if you mix and match, you just won't gain the benefits of XXX-sync. There are also monitors that don't have either technology.

Sgt. Murphy says, "Never forget that your weapons and equipment were made by the lowest bidder."

• 1 year later...