PWM Case Fans

cubies1982

I'm thinking about getting three 120x120x25 PC case fans that will plug into my motherboard. Do PWM fans work similar to the fans on my EVGA 970 GTX whereby the hotter the GPU gets the faster the fans spin in order to cool down the component? Also if it's a PWM fan does that mean it has a 4-pin connector?

they're called 120mm fans. they are controlled by the motherboard and they will spin up when the temperature in the case gets higher. 

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

they're called 120mm fans. they are controlled by the motherboard and they will spin up when the temperature in the case gets higher. 

I'm looking for 4-pin case fans right that plug into my motherboard for them to be PWM fans?

1 minute ago, cubies1982 said:

I'm looking for 4-pin case fans right that plug into my motherboard for them to be PWM fans?

yes, the 4pin case fans are PWM. the difference between 4 and 3 pin is one signal line that allows control of the fan speed by controlling voltage 

idk

PWM (pulse width modulation) is just a way to deliver power. As opposed to DC which varies voltage for different fans speeds, PWM pulses 12v at different intervals to vary fan speed. 

Either can be controlled just as easily and how each header on the motherboard acts varies depending on the board.

Yes, 4pin fans are generally pwm. 

If you would like fan recommendations, list your specs and explain why you're looking to get new fans.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

16 minutes ago, cubies1982 said:

Do PWM fans work similar to the fans on my EVGA 970 GTX whereby the hotter the GPU gets the faster the fans spin in order to cool down the component?

Only if you use software to tell them to do that. You can tell 3-pin fans to change speed too, using a program called Speedfan.

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

38 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Only if you use software to tell them to do that. You can tell 3-pin fans to change speed too, using a program called Speedfan.

So even if my motherboard has three four pin slots for plugging case fans into I still need software to control the fan speeds?

1 minute ago, cubies1982 said:

So even if my motherboard has three four pin slots for plugging case fans into I still need software to control the fan speeds?

4pin fan headers may be wired differently depending on the motherboard and the default fan setting on each header will vary as well. 

It seems that you're new to the topic and it might help to list your specs and explain why you're looking to get new fans.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

2 minutes ago, cubies1982 said:

Depending on the model, you may be able to control them through your BIOS as well

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Just now, WoodenMarker said:

4pin fan headers may be wired differently depending on the motherboard

Oh god I'm gonna have nightmares about this.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Oh god I'm gonna have nightmares about this.

Boo

Spoiler

zVRM9.pngn5OgzUj.pngattachment.php?attachmentid=145721&d=14016287d1330775095-help-chassis-power-fan-

2 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Boo

Reveal hidden contents

zVRM9.pngn5OgzUj.pngattachment.php?attachmentid=145721&d=14016287d1330775095-help-chassis-power-fan-

Alright that's it. I'm not sleeping tonight.

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

PWM (pulse width modulation) is just a way to deliver power. As opposed to DC which varies voltage for different fans speeds, PWM pulses 12v at different intervals to vary fan speed. 

Either can be controlled just as easily and how each header on the motherboard acts varies depending on the board.

Yes, 4pin fans are generally pwm. 

If you would like fan recommendations, list your specs and explain why you're looking to get new fans.

I'm using a  Asus Maximus VII Ranger Intel Z97 motherboard which comes with three four pin connectors for system fans. How do I check how the pins are wired?

1 hour ago, cubies1982 said:

I'm using a  Asus Maximus VII Ranger Intel Z97 motherboard which comes with three four pin connectors for system fans. How do I check how the pins are wired?

You can find it in the motherboard manual which is on the manufacturer's website.