(Unofficial) LTT musicians Club!

RGProductions
On 7/11/2017 at 11:52 PM, EricTrujillo said:

Jackson basses are a little less common than their guitars but they're pretty fantastic. Hell their JS series of 5 string bases is really good for the price.

Yeah, I definitely need to checl that out. I'm actually in the market for a 5 string bass, so...

Jackson has never made a guitar I really liked, but maybe they'll do better in the bass department.

7 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

So, I play classic guitar and bass, find myself playing mostly rock (Muse, Nirvana and all that).

This is probably just down to my poor English skills, but for some reason I understood "classic guitar" as "acoustic guitar", and I just thought: "How the hell do you play Muse on an acoustic?".

Also, I feel really old when Nirvana and Muse is considered "classic". 

The next thing we know Alice in Chains will be played on the oldies stations.

7 hours ago, JoaoPRSousa said:

Started playing classic guitar when I turned 8. Almost 10 years later, here I am, and I still feel like I don't know shit xD

I think that's very common. I know people that have studied music (and played one or more instruments for years) and they still think that they can't play for shit. 

I'm probably just blessed with ignorance. I've always seen myself as a pretty good guitarist (and an OK drummer and bassist), but that's probably just becuase I don't know better. 

Nova doctrina terribilis sit perdere

Audio format guides: Vinyl records | Cassette tapes

15 hours ago, Volbet said:

This is probably just down to my poor English skills, but for some reason I understood "classic guitar" as "acoustic guitar", and I just thought: "How the hell do you play Muse on an acoustic?".

Also, I feel really old when Nirvana and Muse is considered "classic". 

The next thing we know Alice in Chains will be played on the oldies stations.

Classic(al) guitar. This: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Classical_guitar

Nirvana and Muse aren't considered "classic", at least not in my book, I just play with what I have xD

"an obvious supporter of privacy"

Hey I have somewhere to ask this now! 

Does anyone have good tips for preventing accidental harmonics when playing staccato notes on guitar? When I lift my finger up so that the string isn't fretted to mute, I'm doing pretty well to keep it touching the string. But even so I get a harmonic sound, which sounds really muddy and terrible when, for example, I'm playing power chords in rapid succession with quick mutes in between. 

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

On 7/17/2017 at 8:47 PM, Spork829 said:

Hey I have somewhere to ask this now! 

Does anyone have good tips for preventing accidental harmonics when playing staccato notes on guitar? When I lift my finger up so that the string isn't fretted to mute, I'm doing pretty well to keep it touching the string. But even so I get a harmonic sound, which sounds really muddy and terrible when, for example, I'm playing power chords in rapid succession with quick mutes in between. 

You gotta improve your muting technique with your fretting hand; try using multiple fingers to mute instead of just one. Also, depending on the gain settings on your amp, and too low of an action will make muting harder, try raising the action just a tad and see if it improves.

33 minutes ago, EricTrujillo said:

You gotta improve your muting technique with your fretting hand; try using multiple fingers to mute instead of just one. Also, depending on the gain settings on your amp, and too low of an action will make muting harder, try raising the action just a tad and see if it improves.

How can I mute with multiple fingers when I'm playing something like a power chord? Also what is 'action'? Sorry I'm kind of new to this...

Ok, so I made you a video, because the concept is hard to explain. Also, the action of a guitar is simply how high or low the strings are off the fretboard. Too low = you'll get buzzing from the metal strings hitting the frets and not allowing them to ring properly, and too high makes the guitar un-playable because its much harder to press down the strings. Hope this helps!

On 7/18/2017 at 9:38 PM, EricTrujillo said:

Ok, so I made you a video, because the concept is hard to explain. Also, the action of a guitar is simply how high or low the strings are off the fretboard. Too low = you'll get buzzing from the metal strings hitting the frets and not allowing them to ring properly, and too high makes the guitar un-playable because its much harder to press down the strings. Hope this helps!

Sorry didn't see this till just now, that helped a lot! I didn't realize you meant to move the lower fingers out of the position of the power chord to mute. Thanks!

Hi thread, I bought a strap today but it has these weird plastic things on each end. They claim to be 'locks' and have a hole on them where the metal part on the guitar comes through, but they're too small to actually get it in. Do these have some function that I'm just missing? Or should I go ahead and take wirecutters to them because they're ugly as sin?

IMG_20170723_213559.thumb.jpg.94470d4e11eb42783290f51eb604d486.jpg

8 minutes ago, valdyrgramr said:

Might be for an acoustic as some can have weird positioned ones.

Could be. Well seeing as this is only for an electric I'll probably cut it off then

10 hours ago, Spork829 said:

Sorry didn't see this till just now, that helped a lot! I didn't realize you meant to move the lower fingers out of the position of the power chord to mute. Thanks!

I'm glad it helped! Sometimes you just have to see things in order for them to click.

Onto other news, my band ShinraCo has finished tracking for our upcoming album, which will be out in 6 days! I'm extremely excited to share it with you guys, its been a long time coming.

On 1/11/2017 at 0:33 AM, RGProductions said:

Alright, this is a club for all the musicians out there. 

All rules in community standards still apply (duh)

But please keep this discussion limited to musician things PLEASE!

Have fun!

Some conversation starters are

• What instrument do you play (if any)
  • What genre do you find yourself playing most
  • Marching band or concert band
  • and other music related things!

trombone

whatever school provides

concert

electronic  music is good.

Ryzen 5 3600 stock | 2x16GB C13 3200MHz (AFR) | GTX 760 (Sold the VII)| ASUS Prime X570-P | 6TB WD Gold (128MB Cache, 2017)

Samsung 850 EVO 240 GB 

138 is a good number.

:o missed this thread's birth.

- Piano

- Classical (~Broadly~, mostly Chopin and Tchaikovsky of late) playing around with some contemporary pieces and ost from various media.

- Not a member of any bands or musical groups anymore, I'm a soloist these days.

Updated 2021 Desktop || 3700x || Asus x570 Tuf Gaming || 32gb Predator 3200mhz || 2080s XC Ultra || MSI 1440p144hz || DT990 + HD660 || GoXLR + ifi Zen Can || Avermedia Livestreamer 513 ||

New Home Dedicated Game Server || Xeon E5 2630Lv3 || 16gb 2333mhz ddr4 ECC || 2tb Sata SSD || 8tb Nas HDD || Radeon 6450 1g display adapter ||

4 hours ago, yathis said:

Why do some songs make you wanna walk in your mind.

Because rhythm.

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017 at 7:58 AM, EricTrujillo said:

I'm glad it helped! Sometimes you just have to see things in order for them to click.

Onto other news, my band ShinraCo has finished tracking for our upcoming album, which will be out in 6 days! I'm extremely excited to share it with you guys, its been a long time coming.

Hey Eric, and also anyone else willing to answer: I've taken it upon myself to restring my electric guitar (Fender Squire Strat). It seemed like a pretty simple task, however the new low E string I put on is buzzing pretty badly. I put on the new A as well, same thing. I didn't mess with the bridge (at least to my knowledge, maybe it got moved?) and they're the same exact strings I was using before. Help!

• 4 weeks later...

How about a necro? I guess at least this thread isn't like from 2 to 4 years ago.

I used to play violin and was learning Mandolin and truly wanted to switch over to Viola.

Started in 6th grade, ended up getting out in the middle of sophomore year. I was going to be a senior this year but I've officially unofficially withdrawn/dropped out from school in the middle of last year. In hindsight I'm kinda regretting that. 

Parts of me want to get a some midi instruments and get into digital music creation but idk.

a Moo Floof connoisseur and curator.

:x@handymanshandle x @pinksnowbirdie || Jake x Brendan :x
Youtube Audio Normalization