New Windows 10 Update KB3213986 may cause issues in games on multi monitor systems

RavenXE

Windows 10 cumulative update KB3213986  released today (January 10th 2017) may cause issues with games on multi monitor systems

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009938/windows-10-update-kb3213986

Symptom

Users may experience delayed or clipped screens while running 3D rendering apps (such as games) on systems with more than one monitor

Workaround

To work around this issue please consider the following options:

• Running the application in Windows mode (not full screen)
  • Starting the application with only one monitor connected  

37 minutes ago, joshfrog said:

lol there not breaking it there adding the feature when that doesnt work right.

What?

56 minutes ago, RavenXE said:

• Running the application in Windows mode (not full screen)

I'm going to be that guy and say it's Windowed mode, not Windows mode.

time for the MS task force to tell us how this is not a real issue 

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

1 of the reasons that those problems keep happening is they dont have a testing department anymore so the people who are in the insiders program and who install it when the updates pushed to there computer become the new microsoft testing team

53 minutes ago, joshfrog said:

1 of the reasons that those problems keep happening is they dont have a testing department anymore so the people who are in the insiders program and who install it when the updates pushed to there computer become the new microsoft testing team

Insiders Program users = Voluntary QA

Windows 10 users = Involuntary QA

My eyes see the past…

My camera lens sees the present…

1 hour ago, suicidalfranco said:

time for the MS task force to tell us how this is not a real issue 

It isn't an issue because MS is literally god and they will surely fix this.

Now where's my shill check? :3

in all seriousness though, while I don't run a surround setup I hope they fix this.

13 minutes ago, Daring said:

It isn't an issue because MS is literally god and they will surely fix this.

Now where's my shill check? :3

in all seriousness though, while I don't run a surround setup I hope they fix this.

>right click empty space on desktop

>create new folder

>name it GodMode.{ED7BA470-8E54-465E-825C-99712043E01C}

>press enter

yes... MS is god!

One day I will be able to play Monster Hunter Frontier in French/Italian/English on my PC, it's just a matter of time... 4 5 6 7 8 9 years later: It's finally coming!!!

Phones: iPhone 4S/SE | LG V10 | Lumia 920 | Samsung S24 Ultra

Laptops: Macbook Pro 15" (mid-2012) | Compaq Presario V6000

Other: Steam Deck

<>EVs are bad, they kill the planet and remove freedoms too some/<>

Lol this reminds me about how all of the default windows 10 applications on my PC have simultaneously stopped working...

Microsoft, go fix your stuff!

Alnair (Main PC):

CPU: i9-7900X with EK Supremacy RGB and SE 360 radiator

RAM: 32 GB Trident Z RGB 3000 MHz

MB: Gigabyte X299 Gaming 7

GPU: GTX 1070 Founder’s Edition

PSU: EVGA 850 G3

SSD: WD Blue M.2 1tb, Sandisk SSD Plus 1tb

Mistle (NAS):

CPU: Pentium G3258 with stock cooler

RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1600 MHz

MB: MSI H81M-E33

GPU: Intel integrated 

PSU: 500w Cooler Master

HDD: 2 x 2tb WD Red in RAID 1

Armakarth (NAS/3D modeling station/my old computer)

CPU: i7-4790K with Hyper 212

RAM: 8GB HyperX Fury DDR3 1600 MHz

MB: MSI Z97-G45

GPU: EVGA GT 740 SC

PSU: 750W Sentey

SSD: Sandisk SSD Plus 240GB

HDD: 2 x 2tb WD Red in RAID 1, 2tb Seagate Barracuda, 1tb WD Blue

The Pizza Cooker (server):

2x quad core 2.66 ghz Xeons

16gb DDR2 FBDIMM

When they fix this then PLEASE!!!!! Fix the issue with stuttering because games are trying to lock to 60FPS when running 144Hz monitor in windowed/borderless mode because I have animation happening on my secondary 60Hz monitor.

4 hours ago, WereCat said:

When they fix this then PLEASE!!!!! Fix the issue with stuttering because games are trying to lock to 60FPS when running 144Hz monitor in windowed/borderless mode because I have animation happening on my secondary 60Hz monitor.

I have both a 3 screen setup on one desk, and an ultrawide next to a 144Hz monitor on another desk connected to my gaming desktop and fuck windows has so many issues, especially with 144Hz. It pisses me off but I know it will never be fixed. I'm tired of 60Hz Ui as well, that happens depending on what's open. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

Just when I built up the courage to update.

Going from Verison 1151, could I update while avoiding any new issues?

We do what we can, because we must.

24 minutes ago, Theorak said:

Just when I built up the courage to update.

Going from Verison 1151, could I update while avoiding any new issues?

Pretty sure there isn't a 51st month of the year....

On topic: if you have a multi monitor setup then maybe try to wait for this issue to be solved?

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Why does every Windows 10 update seem to break something. 

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(")  GTX 1070 5820K 500GB Samsung EVO SSD 1TB WD Green 16GB of RAM Corsair 540 Air Black EVGA Supernova 750W Gold  Logitech G502 Fiio E10 Wharfedale Diamond 220 Yamaha A-S501 Lian Li Fan Controller NHD-15 KBTalking Keyboard

12 hours ago, RavenXE said:

Windows 10 cumulative update KB3213986  released today (January 10th 2017) may cause issues with games on multi monitor systems

Link: https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/help/4009938/windows-10-update-kb3213986

Symptom

Users may experience delayed or clipped screens while running 3D rendering apps (such as games) on systems with more than one monitor

Workaround

• GO BACK TO WINDOWS 7 FFS

Oh look, a more sensible solution.

Anyway joking aside it's nice to see that awesome quality control and stability users of 10 keep telling me I need on my personal machine. I am now ready for you to claim how this is either not MS fault or "Works fine for me!" and "Just a vocal minority, barely an issue!" comments. Oh and by "ready" I mean I am ready like this:

Spoiler

Image result for didn't read gif

-------

Current Rig

-------

20 minutes ago, leadeater said:

Bloody hell this is annoying. Neither workaround is a viable option for me, I use crossfire and you can't use Windowed mode for that.

I have a workaround that you could try.

Sell the AyyMD video cards and buy an Nvidya :^)

Edit:

Put the s on cards for you :)

Edited by leadeater

12 hours ago, joshfrog said:

Also I would assume that many insiders run the build in a vm, which would usually only have one display

Intel i7 5820K (4.5 GHz) | MSI X99A MPower | 32 GB Kingston HyperX Fury 2666MHz | Asus RoG STRIX GTX 1080ti OC | Samsung 951 m.2 nVME 512GB | Crucial MX200 1000GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2000GB | Noctua NH-D15 | Fractal Define R5 | Seasonic 860 Platinum | Logitech G910 | Sennheiser 599 | Blue Yeti | Logitech G502

Nikon D500 | Nikon 300mm f/4 PF  | Nikon 200-500 f/5.6 | Nikon 50mm f/1.8 | Tamron 70-210 f/4 VCII | Sigma 10-20 f/3.5 | Nikon 17-55 f/2.8 | Tamron 90mm F2.8 SP Di VC USD Macro | Neewer 750II

4 hours ago, kuddlesworth9419 said:

Why does every Windows 10 update seem to break something. 

Because they have a 1000 employees testing the updates before they are pushed but there a literally millions of different pc configurations.

I know people bitch and whine about beta updates or testers but when you are developing for a system to handle such a large pool of devices you cant test everything and there will be conflicts. 

This shit happens on every OS. Most gamers avoid the beta like the plague because they hate updates so this was never caught before pushed. 

I haven't tested it much, but so far, it seems to not cause issues with initial game startup or performance with it running. It does cause a temporary black screen upon closing, with each monitor on its own GPU.

I haven't seen many people specify what issues they're having, and how they run their multi monitor setups. That'd be a useful tidbit of info to have, and could help find additional work arounds.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.