Apple removes app that allows users to find their lost AirPods from the app store

WolfDeville
1 hour ago, Drak3 said:

That holds very true with Apple, And to an extent, Google, because their primary ecosystems rely on a single app market.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has to contend with Steam, Origin, uPlay, and download/install straight from the internet. That's something they can't just get rid of either, it's still a huge selling point of newer versions of Windows.

I would assume they are discussing their mobile OS where windows functions much like android where you can load apps from outside the windows store, but it is more difficult and most users wouldnt bother.

On the desktop OS side, windows is in fact making some moves to "lock down" their operating system more rigidly so that they can enjoy the same control as Apple does on their OS. WIth every update they are limiting the users choices on how to manage their OS, and have been steadily migrating their first party applications into their store. I dont think they could all out stop installation of applications like they would like to any time soon. But from a business sense it makes sense to limit the user to their store as much as possible, but its a hard sell to users especially when more better options are coming out.

Primary:

Intel i5 4670K (3.8 GHz) | ASRock Extreme 4 Z87 | 16GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP 2x8GB | Gigabyte GTX980ti | Mushkin Enhanced Chronos 240GB | Corsair RM 850W | Nanoxia Deep Silence 1| Ducky Shine 3 | Corsair m95 | 2x Monoprice 1440p IPS Displays | Altec Lansing VS2321 | Sennheiser HD558 | Antlion ModMic

HTPC:

Intel NUC i5 D54250WYK | 4GB Kingston 1600MHz DDR3L | 256GB Crucial M4 mSATA SSD | Logitech K400

NAS:

Thecus n4800 | WD White Label 8tb x4 in raid 5

Phones:

Oneplux 6t (Mint), Nexus 5x 8.1.0 (wifi only), Nexus 4 (wifi only)