Apple removes app that allows users to find their lost AirPods from the app store

WolfDeville

Considering that Apple charges $69 to replace a single lost AirPod, you would imagine that an app designed to find one of the misplaced wireless buds would be a good thing. But it seems the iPhone maker disagrees, and has just pulled ‘Finder for AirPods’ from its app store.

Quote from Devs: "Yeah, just got off the phone with them. They didn't find anything wrong with the app itself, but rather they didn't like the 'concept' of people finding their AirPods and hence was deemed "not appropriate for the App Store."

When another Redditor asked for proof of this conversation, the developer added: “The proof being, they called me to say that the App Review board doesn't like the concept of the app and deemed it not appropriate for the App Store. They have their own reasons why, but probably won’t release it to the public.”

I never liked Apple's products or their practices, and this is a perfect example why that is.

Source

man this is so fucking stupid. they just wanna eliminate ANYTHING remotely practical, such as the headphone jack, magsafe, usb ports, etc. it's just apple being douchey. i know for a fact if steve jobs was still alive and still ceo of apple, shit like this wouldn't disappear on apple products. but the fact that they simply "didn't like the concept of people finding their airpods" is complete headassery. apple needs to lay off the crack and just get this shit together.

"If it has tits or tires, at some point you will have problems with it." -@vinyldash303

this is probably the only place i'll hang out anymore: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/274320-the-long-awaited-car-thread/

Current Rig: Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600, Abit IN9-32MAX nForce 680i board, Galaxy GT610 1GB DDR3 gpu, Cooler Master Mystique 632S Full ATX case, 1 2TB Seagate Barracuda SATA and 1x200gb Maxtor SATA drives, 1 LG SATA DVD drive, Windows 10. All currently runs like shit :D 

Is anyone surprised anymore? Apple's bread and butter has always been replacement of broken products. We could now add missing products and accessories.

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

Apple wants MORE of your money!? No way, what a shocker.

Lenovo Ideapad 720s 14 inch ------ One day I'll have a desktop again...

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'd bet money they have their own version in the works?

Yeah that's what the author of the article was speculating. I think it could be the reason, although I'd bet dollars to donuts it's because they want to take more money from their customers by replacing lost devices.

Just now, TehStranger said:

Yeah that's what the author of the article was speculating. I think it could be the reason, although I'd bet dollars to donuts it's because they want to take more money from their customers by replacing lost devices.

Eh, there's a reason the Find My iPhone/iPad/[insert iDevice] service exists, and I wouldn't put that past me.

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

1 minute ago, Dan Castellaneta said:

Eh, there's a reason the Find My iPhone/iPad/[insert iDevice] service exists, and I wouldn't put that past me.

Yeah but they might think customers will be more tolerable when it comes to replacing accessories, which don't cost the same price as the iPhone/iPad itself.

The app apparently was shit. and costed money for people to use. You couldn't use it to find your airpods outside of your home since it tracked it only by bluetooth signal, and didn't tell you what floor it was on either; nor was it entirely accurate. I guess it could be removed because it made no sense to charge people for it. Although that's the best way of looking at it 

1 minute ago, Wolther said:

The app apparently was shit. and costed money for people to use. You couldn't use it to find your airpods outside of your home since it tracked it only by bluetooth signal, and didn't tell you what floor it was on either. I guess it could be removed because it made no sense to charge people for it. Although that's the best way of looking at it 

If the app was bad that does make Apple look less scummy in this case. Either way I'm skeptical they'll implement a replacement of their own.

1 minute ago, Wolther said:

The app apparently was shit. and costed money for people to use. You couldn't use it to find your airpods outside of your home since it tracked it only by bluetooth signal, and didn't tell you what floor it was on either. I guess it could be removed because it made no sense to charge people for it. Although that's the best way of looking at it 

How much was it? It would be a bit difficult finding those small things in a big house, so any sort of indication of it's wherabouts would be helpful I guess.

2 minutes ago, TehStranger said:

How much was it? It would be a bit difficult finding those small things in a big house, so any sort of indication of it's wherabouts would be helpful I guess.

$4 

12 minutes ago, TehStranger said:

I never liked Apple's products or their practices, and this is a perfect example why that is.

I'd say this is an example of why the concept of "app market" is a terrible idea, and it metastasis to Windows is to be received with concern.

You have the device, you want the program, the developer is willing to write it, you both agree on a price... who thought adding a bi-directional monopolistic middle-man was a good idea?

The alternativexD

for-those-worried-about-losing-their-new

Windows 10 Edu | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | Ryzen 9 3950x | 4x 16GB G.Skill Trident Z RGB| ROG Strix GeForce® RTX 2080 SUPER™ Advanced edition | Samsung 980 PRO 500GB + Samsung 970 Evo Plus 2TB + 8TB Seagate Barracuda | EVGA Supernova 650 G2 | Alienware AW3418DW + LG 34uc87c + Dell u3419w | Asus Zephyrus G14

8 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

You have the device, you want the program, the developer is willing to write it, you both agree on a price... who thought adding a bi-directional monopolistic middle-man was a good idea?

Probably the bi-directional monopolistic middle-man

Introducing the AirpodsPro

Now with no improvement at all to the first AirPods, and appples new software- the FindYourPod works with magic and peanut butter fuel.

Now at the modest price equal to a baby elephant

even if they have their own version in the works, this is fucking scummy, even for apple. 

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

On ‎1‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 4:38 PM, SpaceGhostC2C said:

I'd say this is an example of why the concept of "app market" is a terrible idea, and it metastasis to Windows is to be received with concern.

Sometimes, it works fairly well. Sometimes, it doesn't.

One has to look at the intentions of the middle man.

It just tends to work significantly better if there is competition

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

On 1/10/2017 at 5:28 PM, Dan Castellaneta said:

I'd bet money they have their own version in the works?

That costs you $69 per earpod

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

Why are people still buying their garbage products?

Forgot my obligatory response to Apple users whining about the terrible product and service they bought:

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

Who would have thought.

635747196501693805-1556666623_Bp93__rCAAA8uqP.jpg

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

Apples attitude towards their customers

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

14 hours ago, Drak3 said:

Sometimes, it works fairly well. Sometimes, it doesn't.

One has to look at the intentions of the middle man.

It just tends to work significantly better if there is competition

But the whole point of all these markets is their twice-monopolistic nature: Apple (or Google, or Microsoft, each on its own) acts as a monpsonist to developers and a monopolist to consumers. They (try to) restrict what you can get by (trying to) force you to install from said market only, therefore forcing developers to abide to their terms. And since they write their own apps, that's such an obvious case of market power abuse that the whole Windows-internet explorer case would pale in comparison (imagine all car manufacturers having to sell through Ford, with Ford having the right to refuse certain models at will).

But I guess it's not the 90s anymore :P 

29 minutes ago, SpaceGhostC2C said:

But the whole point of all these markets is their twice-monopolistic nature: Apple (or Google, or Microsoft, each on its own) acts as a monpsonist to developers and a monopolist to consumers. They (try to) restrict what you can get by (trying to) force you to install from said market only, therefore forcing developers to abide to their terms. And since they write their own apps, that's such an obvious case of market power abuse that the whole Windows-internet explorer case would pale in comparison (imagine all car manufacturers having to sell through Ford, with Ford having the right to refuse certain models at will).

But I guess it's not the 90s anymore :P 

That holds very true with Apple, And to an extent, Google, because their primary ecosystems rely on a single app market.

Microsoft, on the other hand, has to contend with Steam, Origin, uPlay, and download/install straight from the internet. That's something they can't just get rid of either, it's still a huge selling point of newer versions of Windows.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.