What would you choose?

dav

If you had the chance to get a 1080p @144hz monitor with g-sync or a 1440p @144hz without g-sync at the same price, what would you buy. (you have an i5-4690k @4.5Ghz and a Msi Gtx 970 @1600Mhz)

1440p 144hz. The high refresh rate makes G-Sync not needed as much. I would sacrifice the slight improvement on screen-tearing for the higher resolution

EDIT: with a 970, get the 1080p one. I didn't consider that when writing my original post

For a GTX 970 I would get a 1080p monitor

1. Buy 1440p

2. Sell it for more money

3. ?????

4. Buy 1080p

5.Profit

depending on the games u play a 970 might not be able to display 144fps so having the g-sync for times wen its lower fps would help.

also how big are the screens and what brand

1080p monitor

"Always forgive your enemies, but never forget their names." John F. Kennedy

"Daddy is going on a dangerous mission to shoot his employees." Linus Sebastian

"It's soft, but in a good way, kinda like typing on boobs." Luke Lafreniere

Find a 1440p 144hz with Freesync because resolution > Gsync, and Freesync gives option for future upgrades.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

Correct me if my wrong But 970 doesn't support 4k at meduim or high settings, you have to use it on low and that looks bad,   ( I learned that the hard way) I have the same cpu and gpu as the op I would go for that 1080p

12 hours ago, Carlospuron said:

Correct me if my wrong But 970 doesn't support 4k at meduim or high settings, you have to use it on low and that looks bad,   ( I learned that the hard way) I have the same cpu and gpu as the op I would go for that 1080p

2k, not 4k.

15 hours ago, SCGazelle said:

1440p 144hz. The high refresh rate makes G-Sync not needed as much. I would sacrifice the slight improvement on screen-tearing for the higher resolution

EDIT: with a 970, get the 1080p one. I didn't consider that when writing my original post

The 1080 is sadly out of my budget, might buy another 970 though.

15 hours ago, joshfrog said:

depending on the games u play a 970 might not be able to display 144fps so having the g-sync for times wen its lower fps would help.

also how big are the screens and what brand

AOC AG241QX and BenQ XL2411 are the two monitors i am considering... i don't thing g-sync is worth it...

15 hours ago, CostcoSamples said:

Find a 1440p 144hz with Freesync because resolution > Gsync, and Freesync gives option for future upgrades.

for reference, i was playing gta v with 2x dsr (2700*1500p) at very high, 40-42 fps at mnt chilliad, droping down to 36-37fps and going up to 53 fps

5 hours ago, dav said:

for reference, i was playing gta v with 2x dsr (2700*1500p) at very high, 40-42 fps at mnt chilliad, droping down to 36-37fps and going up to 53 fps

Those results are respectable, but not ideal.  You have to decide what your favorite games are and whether you'd accept reduced settings as needed.  Since a display is usually more of a long term purchase, you should consider that future GPUs will power the higher resolution more easily.

i7 4790k @4.7 | GTX 1070 Strix | Z97 Sabertooth | 32GB  DDR3 2400 mhz | Intel 750 SSD | Define R5 | Corsair K70 | Steel Series Rival | XB271, 1440p, IPS, 165hz | 5.1 Surround
PC Build

Desk Build

1 hour ago, CostcoSamples said:

Those results are respectable, but not ideal.  You have to decide what your favorite games are and whether you'd accept reduced settings as needed.  Since a display is usually more of a long term purchase, you should consider that future GPUs will power the higher resolution more easily.

Yeah, i know..

What would you buy? The aoc or benq?

The 970 is definitely a capable graphics card and there is no denying that. I would 100% go for the 1440p. 1080p is dying and we all have to accept that. The 1080p will be worthless if you choose to sell it in the future whereas the 1440p will be worth more. 

18 hours ago, dav said:

Yeah, i know..

What would you buy? The aoc or benq?

I would go with the AOC.  

PC Build

Desk Build