TROUBLE SHOOTING UN SURE OF PROBLEM

Probably about 8 months ago I had built my first computer, I took all of the precautionary measures to protect the hardware from static, as to not damage it. But with in the last 2 weeks this has happened twice and i have no clue what it is. I have never overclocked my graphics card and never had any problems before. Any help would be much appreciated my full computer set up is below along with a photo of the problem..eJwFwVsOwiAQAMC7cAD2gSzQyxhCCa1phcD6Zby

CPU: amd fx 8350

Mother Board: asus m5a99fx pro R2.0

GPU: Asus Strix 4gb OC edition gtx 970

RAM: kingston hyperx 2x4gb ddr4 1600 

If you need any more information i will gladly provide.

It looks like a GPU issue but im not sure it is or how to fix it

Breaking things 1 day at a time

Yeah i was thinking the same thing but i am unsure and don't want to go shelling out money for a problem i am unsure of

1 minute ago, Epitaph99 said:

Yeah i was thinking the same thing but i am unsure and don't want to go shelling out money for a problem i am unsure of

5 minutes ago, TubsAlwaysWins said:

It looks like a GPU issue but im not sure it is or how to fix it

is the GPU still in the warranty period ?

Try a different monitor.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.

As long as you checked/swapped the cable, and made sure it's not the monitor by connecting it to a different computer or connected another monitor and the same issue appears.....the card itself has the issue.  This is frequently related to connection, so make sure you don't have any cold solder connections or damaged pins on the video card connectors.  If the issue is not one of these, it just may be ready to give up the ghost.

Check the card's pins and solder connections, regardless.  a little bit of observation can sometimes save a lot of lengthy substitution.

6 minutes ago, Epitaph99 said:

i don't have a known good spare

If you can't find the problem yourself it would be a good idea to RMA it 

what can this be caused by to prevent in the future

Its 99% the GPU. If you have a friend with a computer using a GPU, see if they would be nice enough to bring it over so you can test. If the card is still under warranty, giv'er. If warranty is out, then youre SOL.

When in doubt, re-format.

1 minute ago, Epitaph99 said:

what can this be caused by to prevent in the future

Electronics die. It is unfortunately a way of life, and these things cannot really be predicted.

The only suggestion I have is to keep an eye on temps while you have the computer under heavy load, to make sure that its not running at like 95C all the time. But that isn't always the cause of GPU death.

When in doubt, re-format.

Seriously, plug it into a different monitor, or plug another computer into the monitor you are currently using.  Even a laptop.

You're skipping the easiest and most obvious troubleshooting steps there.

In order of increasing difficulty to troubleshoot:

• Monitor (plug it into a different computer, or plug your computer into a different monitor, or a television with HDMI).
  • Cable (less likely, with a digital signal it pretty much either gets there or it doesn't)
  • Video Card hardware
  • Drivers.

SFF-ish:  Ryzen 5 1600X, Asrock AB350M Pro4, 16GB Corsair LPX 3200, Sapphire R9 Fury Nitro -75mV, 512gb Plextor Nvme m.2, 512gb Sandisk SATA m.2, Cryorig H7, stuffed into an Inwin 301 with rgb front panel mod.  LG27UD58.

Aging Workhorse:  Phenom II X6 1090T Black (4GHz #Yolo), 16GB Corsair XMS 1333, RX 470 Red Devil 4gb (Sold for $330 to Cryptominers), HD6850 1gb, Hilariously overkill Asus Crosshair V, 240gb Sandisk SSD Plus, 4TB's worth of mechanical drives, and a bunch of water/glycol.  Coming soon:  Bykski CPU block, whatever cheap Polaris 10 GPU I can get once miners start unloading them.

MintyFreshMedia:  Thinkserver TS130 with i3-3220, 4gb ecc ram, 120GB Toshiba/OCZ SSD booting Linux Mint XFCE, 2TB Hitachi Ultrastar.  In Progress:  3D printed drive mounts, 4 2TB ultrastars in RAID 5.