Whats the money is no object, best air cpu cooler?

atavax
6 minutes ago, atavax said:

What fans would you recommend for either scenario? 

The problem with water cooling is the installation outside of all in one's and all in one's really don't seem to perform better than air.

Also AM4 is going to have a new mounting bracket, so any coolers made now are going to need adapters, best to wait if you're planning on Ryzen

it should offer more cores/threads compared to intel, and all the chips can be overclocked, and you don't need a high end motherboard exactly for overclocking

Otherwise, if you aren't getting a radiator, which I'd probably recommend, just get whatever has the most thermal mass and probably supports 140mm fans, like an HR-22/LeGrandMacho

if you have the room for it of course
https://www.pcper.com/reviews/Cases-and-Cooling/Thermalright-Le-Grand-Macho-RT-Air-CPU-Cooler-Review/Performance-and-Concl

Macho_RT_Temps_Stock.png

I edit my posts a lot, Twitter is @LordStreetguru just don't ask PC questions there mostly...

Spoiler

What is your budget/country for your new PC?

what monitor resolution/refresh rate?

What games or other software do you need to run?

3 hours ago, atavax said:

only realistic limitation is my case only supports up to 190mm.

From what I've seen, the best air CPU cooler, at least in terms of performance, is the Noctua NH-D15. I'll probably be buying one tomorrow for my 6800K.

so there are a lot of coolers that seem like you could fit 3 large fans on, 1 on either side and 1 in the middle, but i don't really see anyone doing that...

7 minutes ago, atavax said:

so there are a lot of coolers that seem like you could fit 3 large fans on, 1 on either side and 1 in the middle, but i don't really see anyone doing that...

It's been done many times on the NH-D14: https://www.google.com/search?q=triple+fan+heatsink&espv=2&biw=686&bih=1008&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwi479HHibnRAhWEs1QKHeALB08Q_AUIBygC#tbm=isch&q=3+fan++nhd14

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

i guess another concern would be if i did an all in one and put a radiator in the front intake, wouldn't it hinder the cooling of everything other than the cpu? like espcially i think m.2 drives like to overheat.

2 minutes ago, atavax said:

i guess another concern would be if i did an all in one and put a radiator in the front intake, wouldn't it hinder the cooling of everything other than the cpu? like espcially i think m.2 drives like to overheat.

No, it doesn't warm up the air much.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

8 hours ago, atavax said:

am definitely thinking about an all in one as well. But figured i want to know the best air cooler options as well. Also, the impression i've gotten is that all in ones tend to be louder then the premium air coolers.

not neccessarily

It depends upon how you set them up. If you have a custom loop, w/ two or more radiators, you can run your fans at a lower speed and still do great.

But for little aio's they tend to work as advertised at full speeds.

I don't find it that bad honestly though, with my h110 :/

Shipping sucks

yeah, i spent most of today looking at AIOs and custom loop kits. I think i'm going to stick with an air cooler. It just doesn't seem like liquid cooling is at the reliability i would want from it. Seems like there are way too many failure points. And if it fails, virtually anything can be bricked.