Intel now offering hyperthreaded Pentium CPUs!

escape093
1 minute ago, Prysin said:

AMD LAUNCHING THEIR NEW RYZEN V ARCHITECTURE!!!

RYZEN 64 WILL KICK KABYLAKE D´s ASS 

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

10 minutes ago, Space Reptile said:

RYZEN 64 WILL KICK KABYLAKE D´s ASS 

*laughs with a Pentium D 920*

Ye ole' train

Just now, lots of unexplainable lag said:

*laughs with a Pentium D 920*

*overclocks Athlon 64 x2 4400 to 3.8ghz*

RyzenAir : AMD R5 3600 | AsRock AB350M Pro4 | 32gb Aegis DDR4 3000 | GTX 1070 FE | Fractal Design Node 804
RyzenITX : Ryzen 7 1700 | GA-AB350N-Gaming WIFI | 16gb DDR4 2666 | GTX 1060 | Cougar QBX 

PSU Tier list

1 hour ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Why bother with the higher end processors when the lower end ones will just overclock to the same performance as the higher end ones?

Even if every processor and platform was unlocked, I think overclockers would still be in a tiny minority. Maybe shops will pre-overclock, in a similar way to "factory OC" GPUs right now. For businesses, you just want it to work. For portable devices, you focus more on battery life. 

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

i am willing to bet that a AVX 1.0 enabled AMD FX CPU will perform close to one of these pentiums running without AVX. Module vs Core (cuz FX only has 1 float per module whilst intel has one per core), and i think Patrick would be more then happy to make a simple AVX based test of some sort to display that, even if only to emphasize the importance of proper, optimized multi-threading of problems.

Don't under-estimate how poor the FPU is in current AMD CPUs, even after putting aside the module thing. I'm not sure about AVX, but certainly when they implemented FMA4 (compared to Intel FMA3), George Woltman of Prime95 fame tried to get more performance out using it. The verdict? It did the work of two instructions, but took twice the time expected. No net benefit. It is like AMD put in the instructions, but without the hardware behind it to make it effective. I'm really looking forward to see what sort of improvement they've put into Ryzen, although at this time I don't know if software needs to be re-optimised for it.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

7 hours ago, Bouzoo said:

Well it is highly dependent on the game. It's funny how in Vulkan you see 1 FPS and 0 FPS in RoTR, and the max difference is ~9%, and that is best case scenario based on those games. It should be even lower with G4620 vs 7100.

I was expecting something like that. :P Wonder how much you could crank the G4620. I'm pretty sure someone will smoke 7100.

Anyhow, this seems like a fun trip for @MageTank, who likes to brag with his G experience. No pun intended. :ph34r:

I don't know what it is about these $50-$80 chips that excite me, but I've had one for almost every generation now. sadly, I doubt i'll be able to OC these unless ASrock wants to break the rules again with Kaby. If so, best believe I'll have one doing 5ghz+ for no reason at all. 

My (incomplete) memory overclocking guide: 

Does memory speed impact gaming performance? Click here to find out!

On 1/2/2017 at 9:32 PM, MageTank said:

Sometimes, we all need a little inspiration.

12 minutes ago, MageTank said:

I don't know what it is about these $50-$80 chips that excite me, but I've had one for almost every generation now. sadly, I doubt i'll be able to OC these unless ASrock wants to break the rules again with Kaby. If so, best believe I'll have one doing 5ghz+ for no reason at all. 

You have a soft spot for the G spot series.

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

19 minutes ago, porina said:

Even if every processor and platform was unlocked, I think overclockers would still be in a tiny minority. Maybe shops will pre-overclock, in a similar way to "factory OC" GPUs right now. For businesses, you just want it to work. For portable devices, you focus more on battery life. 

Don't under-estimate how poor the FPU is in current AMD CPUs, even after putting aside the module thing. I'm not sure about AVX, but certainly when they implemented FMA4 (compared to Intel FMA3), George Woltman of Prime95 fame tried to get more performance out using it. The verdict? It did the work of two instructions, but took twice the time expected. No net benefit. It is like AMD put in the instructions, but without the hardware behind it to make it effective. I'm really looking forward to see what sort of improvement they've put into Ryzen, although at this time I don't know if software needs to be re-optimised for it.

OLOL, there is little to no gaming software at all using AVX.. its mostly used by professional software and benchmarks, because game devs are too fucking lazy to use efficient coding.

1 hour ago, Prysin said:

OLOL, there is little to no gaming software at all using AVX.. its mostly used by professional software and benchmarks, because game devs are too fucking lazy to use efficient coding.

I largely don't care. I just want CPUs to perform as fast as possible in Prime95 like compute loads. So even if Ryzen has enough FP guts in it to catch Intel (I'm really not optimistic of that) there will be a question if further optimisation is needed or if existing code will run fast as is. Actually, even if it is, it'll be crippled by the dual channel ram anyway. Forget I even spoke...

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

We need a this gen g3258 with hyperthreading please. unlocked+hyperthreading would be very nice for gaming

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

8 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

We need a this gen g3258 with hyperthreading please. unlocked+hyperthreading would be very nice for gaming

It's called the $180 i3-7350k.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

26 minutes ago, djdwosk97 said:

It's called the $180 i3-7350k.

now call it a pentium and sell it to me for 50-60 bucks please.

The Vinyl Decal guy.

Celestial-Uprising  A Work In-Progress

58 minutes ago, MeDownYou said:

now call it a pentium and sell it to me for 50-60 bucks please.

Not happening because then every single person will forget the i3s even exist and Intel wants to sell i3s as well. And it's not nice for gaming. Dual core CPUs start to really show their limits now for being a dual-core. Hyperthreading won't help it.

Ye ole' train

6 minutes ago, lots of unexplainable lag said:

Dual core CPUs start to really show their limits now for being a dual-core. Hyperthreading won't help it.

Yep, saw hardware unboxing review of the i3 7350K. Was beaten by the i5 4570K in most of the games they tested even with an overclock!. This i5 should be around if not slower than the performance of the i5 7500 which is just 10 dollar more expensive, but if consider the Z170 board that it needs and the cooler it gets more expensive!

If you want to reply back to me or someone else USE THE QUOTE BUTTON!                                                      
Pascal laptops guide

So a $64 hyperthreaded G4560, a $100 GTX 1050/RX 460 (or a cheaper used GPU), $40 worth of DDR4, a $40-50 motherboard...this is shaping up to be the new king of budget gaming builds.

It also looks like Intel might be trying to draw a more clear line in the sand between its everyday Celeron and Pentium CPUs and its Core lineup. Maybe the unlocked i3 isn't a pure cash grab based on novelty. Maybe it's Intel saying that i3's are now premium processors, and the Pentium will be replacing the i3 as the workstation workhorse?

Aerocool DS are the best fans you've never tried.

4 hours ago, aisle9 said:

So a $64 hyperthreaded G4560, a $100 GTX 1050/RX 460 (or a cheaper used GPU), $40 worth of DDR4, a $40-50 motherboard...this is shaping up to be the new king of budget gaming builds.

It also looks like Intel might be trying to draw a more clear line in the sand between its everyday Celeron and Pentium CPUs and its Core lineup. Maybe the unlocked i3 isn't a pure cash grab based on novelty. Maybe it's Intel saying that i3's are now premium processors, and the Pentium will be replacing the i3 as the workstation workhorse?

I think the line has always been clear, even when it was Mendocino Celeron/Coppermine Celeron vs Pentium III (and P4 vs Celeron D). Celeron perform like utter shit in comparison to Pentium. Though back then the main problem was Intel enforcing a 66MHz FSB, meaning that AMD practically owned the low end market due to its low end Duron costing less to manufacture (it actually had a smaller die as they were simply manufactured with less cache) than the Athlon while not being castrated like a Celeron and being at the same price point-Celeron cost the same to manufacture as Pentium III since the same die was used for both.

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

12 minutes ago, Dabombinable said:

I think the line has always been clear, even when it was Mendocino Celeron/Coppermine Celeron vs Pentium III (and P4 vs Celeron D). Celeron perform like utter shit in comparison to Pentium. Though back then the main problem was Intel enforcing a 66MHz FSB, meaning that AMD practically owned the low end market due to its low end Duron costing less to manufacture (it actually had a smaller die as they were simply manufactured with less cache) than the Athlon while not being castrated like a Celeron and being at the same price point-Celeron cost the same to manufacture as Pentium III since the same die was used for both.

While I remember (and loathe) the early days of the Celeron family, I don't know that the line had always been so clear. The Celeron and Pentium are regarded as budget processors and priced accordingly. The i5 and i7 are performance processors and priced accordingly. The i3, traditionally, has been priced damn near right down the middle, with features blending the two categories. Two cores, ok, but they're hyperthreaded. Price point that puts it about $60-70 north of Pentiums, check, but it's also about the same amount south of the entry level i5. You're not going to find it in any $1,000+ prebuilts like you will its performance cousins...but you're also not going to find it in any $350 "Grandma's Tandy Sensation finally died" bargain basement machines either. It's going to be in the $400-600 workstation class prebuilts for the most part.

I think the highly publicized i3-7350K is Intel's way of saying, "An i3 is a performance CPU," and adding hyperthreading to the Pentium is a move to show that it's more than capable of being the CPU for workstations and family room PCs. Frankly, i3's in this generation look like absolute shit. On the low end, they've been completed cannibalized by a CPU that costs just over half as much, and the 7350K is a straight-up cash grab that's got terrible price to performance when you factor in the cost of a Z270 mobo vs the entry level i5+H110 price.

I somehow feel like the hyperthreaded Pentium is a move to counter a piece of silicon that Intel either knows or suspects is coming from AMD, and if so, then I thank the PC gods for Ryzen. Even if we look back on it in five years and are left to reminisce on how unremarkable it truly was, we'll at least be able to say that it gave us a hyperthreaded dual core for half the price of an i3 with only a 10% drop in performance.

1 hour ago, david cassar said:

More benchmarks have been released. Performs basically on par with the sandy bridge i5s and the i3 6100. Compared to the old pentium g4400 its about 20% faster in most cases :
https://www.computerbase.de/2017-01/intel-pentium-g4560-test-kaby-lake/3/#diagramm-gesamtrating-spiele-full-hd

Well this is making my i5-2400 seem rather dated. 

Desktop - CPU: R5-2600 MOBO: Asus B450 Micro Atx MEM: Team T-Force RGB Black 16gb GPU: MSI 970 CASE: Zalman Z9 Neo White PSU: Antec EA-750 Earthwatts

4 hours ago, lonestar31 said:

Well this is making my i5-2400 seem rather dated. 

No doubt. We're to the point where even my "buy an old Optiplex with a Sandy or Ivy i5 and upgrade around it" method is out the window--even moreso if you buy a used, cheapo Skylake Celeron, use it to update the BIOS, then sell it off right afterwards for almost exactly what you paid. Sites like CEX are great for finding cheap components you can flip like that.

That's assuming your H110 board doesn't let you update BIOS with a USB drive, of course.

Edited by aisle9
I'm not a dick. I promise.

9 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

No doubt. We're to the point where even my "buy an old Optiplex with a Sandy or Ivy i5 and upgrade around it" method is out the window--even moreso if there's a Micro Center or Fry's in town and you can buy a cheapo Skylake Celeron, use it to update the BIOS, then exchange it for a G4560 the next day because it's "not powerful enough".

I have one here in Houston and I really want the i6 6600k they have for 199! 

Desktop - CPU: R5-2600 MOBO: Asus B450 Micro Atx MEM: Team T-Force RGB Black 16gb GPU: MSI 970 CASE: Zalman Z9 Neo White PSU: Antec EA-750 Earthwatts

1 minute ago, lonestar31 said:

I have one here in Houston and I really want the i6 6600k they have for 199! 

Buy it with a motherboard and get $30 off the pair.

5 minutes ago, aisle9 said:

Buy it with a motherboard and get $30 off the pair.

I'm tempted to sell my laptop for it, but as I only have a 960 in my setup right now I think it would be better spent on a better gpu. 

1 minute ago, lonestar31 said:

I'm tempted to sell my laptop for it, but as I only have a 960 in my setup right now I think it would be better spent on a better gpu. 

TBQH, unless you're trying to play AAA titles at 1080p ultra with AA turned on, you're fine with a 960 in most cases. My wife has my old 4GB 960 right now, which performs somewhere between a 1050 and a 1050 Ti, and the only games she really complains about its performance in are Witcher 3, Far Cry 4 and GTA V. Otherwise, she can get 60 FPS pretty consistently with details turned up--but she has an i7-6700.

In your case, I think you'd benefit more from the updated CPU/mobo platform than you would a new GPU, especially as the Sandy Bridge i5 CPUs start to be eclipsed by Pentiums.

1 hour ago, aisle9 said:

No doubt. We're to the point where even my "buy an old Optiplex with a Sandy or Ivy i5 and upgrade around it" method is out the window--even moreso if there's a Micro Center or Fry's in town and you can buy a cheapo Skylake Celeron, use it to update the BIOS, then exchange it for a G4560 the next day because it's "not powerful enough".

This is why we can't have nice things.

On January 11, 2017 at 3:48 PM, porina said:

I largely don't care. I just want CPUs to perform as fast as possible in Prime95 like compute loads. So even if Ryzen has enough FP guts in it to catch Intel (I'm really not optimistic of that) there will be a question if further optimisation is needed or if existing code will run fast as is. Actually, even if it is, it'll be crippled by the dual channel ram anyway. Forget I even spoke...

I forget, is Ryzen not going to have dual channel RAM?    Or is that "crippled" comment about dual-channel RAM about something else?

16 hours ago, aisle9 said:

I really want to do a build like that even though idk what I'd use it for.  

What are budget build like that used for?

12 hours ago, Dabombinable said:

What is the difference between Celeron and Pentium?

I've always been rather confused about that.

33 minutes ago, Rune said:

This is why we can't have nice things.

Well cheap nice things at least.  ?