Intel now offering hyperthreaded Pentium CPUs!

escape093

https://www.overclock3d.net/news/cpu_mainboard/intel_now_offer_pentium_cpus_with_hyperthreading/1

"With the release of Kaby Lake, Intel are now offering Pentium branded CPUs with Hyperthreading, allowing consumers to get two cores and four threads at some insanely low prices."

Intel now offer Pentium CPUs with Hyperthreading

Above is a screen grab from Intel ARK of the specs of the G4620, one of these nifty new hyperthreaded Kaby Lake Pentiums.

Also from the article linked above is this handy table with the newly-launched Pentium SKUs:

3h8YblD.png

A lot of gamers have been avoiding Pentiums due to their lack of threads, but that could change a little with these new CPUs, which have 4 threads, which will hopefully allow for games like Far Cry 4, which uses 4 threads (rather unnecessarily), to be playable without any workarounds. Emulation enthusiasts who are strapped for cash may also find these to be an attractive buy, as they offer excellent single-threaded performance (which emulators heavily rely on), without heavily compromising on the ability to use multi-threaded applications, and should be reasonably faster in PCSX2, which can take advantage of more than 2 threads.

With Ryzen right around the corner, this does seem just a little bit late, but it shows that Intel isn't completely brain-dead/sitting on its ass, but I am curious to see if Intel will apply this to their other CPUs and give us quad-core i3s and eight-thread i5s, especially now that Ryzen looks more compelling than ever.

The biggest  BURNOUT  fanboy on this forum.

And probably the world.

On 1/11/2017 at 1:02 AM, MimigaKing said:

Absolutely no reason to buy an i3 for 3 times the price them :P

These things don't appear to perform on par with i3s, though. I can't figure out why. So far, very few benchmarks have been released. Hopefully, Digital Foundry will have a few soon.

Edit: The only reason is clock speed. The Pentium G4620 has a clock speed of 3.7 GHz- identical to the Core i3 6100. They perform identically. Poof.

The Core i3 7100 will be slightly faster, owing to its increased clock speed.

welp there goes the i3's...

Spoiler

My system is the Dell Inspiron 15 5559 Microsoft Signature Edition

The Austrailian king of LTT said that I'm awesome and a funny guy. the greatest psu list known to man DDR3 ram guide

i got 477 posts in my first 30 days on LinusTechTips.com

3 minutes ago, MimigaKing said:

Absolutely no reason to buy an i3 for 3 times the price them :P

Eh $75 x 3 = $225. i3 = $225? LOGIC?!?!?

2 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

These things don't appear to perform on par with i3s, though. I can't figure out why. So far, very few benchmarks have been released. Hopefully, Digital Foundry will have a few soon.

He's got a few more up for other games.

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe
(Rest of Specs on Profile)

Is Intel trying to respond to what AMD is going to release to the lower end market?

this might be neat for a HTPC

Before you buy amp and dac.  My thoughts on the M50x  Ultimate Ears Reference monitor review I might have a thing for audio...

My main Headphones and IEMs:  K612 pro, HD 25 and Ultimate Ears Reference Monitor, HD 580 with HD 600 grills

DAC and AMP: RME ADI 2 DAC

Speakers: Genelec 8040, System Audio SA205

Receiver: Denon AVR-1612

Desktop: R7 1700, GTX 1080  RX 580 8GB and other stuff

Laptop: ThinkPad P50: i7 6820HQ, M2000M. ThinkPad T420s: i7 2640M, NVS 4200M

Feel free to pm me if you have a question for me or quote me. If you want to hear what I have to say about something just tag me.

3 minutes ago, MyName13 said:

So what makes them different from i3s?

The main difference is that Intel disabled AVX, which makes no difference in games and it has a lower tier iGPU.

From salty to bath salty in 2.9 seconds

Just now, MyName13 said:

So what makes them different from i3s?

Comparing kabylake - kabylake the i3-7100 is about $35-$40 more for a 400Mhz higher clock and has a slightly better iGPU. It also supports AVX2.0 (Don't know what it is but the pentium doesn't have it)

i7-6700k  Cooling: Deepcool Captain 240EX White GPU: GTX 1080Ti EVGA FTW3 Mobo: AsRock Z170 Extreme4 Case: Phanteks P400s TG Special Black/White PSU: EVGA 850w GQ Ram: 64GB (3200Mhz 16x4 Corsair Vengeance RGB) Storage 1x 1TB Seagate Barracuda 240GBSandisk SSDPlus, 480GB OCZ Trion 150, 1TB Crucial NVMe

5 minutes ago, Deli said:

Is Intel trying to respond to what AMD is going to release to the lower end market?

It's not necessarily a response so much as locking the market down so they never have a chance of getting their foot in the door. Similar thing happened few years ago where Xeon-D popped up to stop ARM from ever having a shot of entering the server market.

It's also a slick way of not having to lower any of your prices when you can just intro more competitive SKUs lower in the stack.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

you would think the i3-6100 would perform identically to this.. 

very nice for the low end market, but kind of makes the locked i3's pointless. 

13 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

presumably no turbo boost - or a less aggressive one

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

11 minutes ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

Eh $75 x 3 = $225. i3 = $225? LOGIC?!?!?

He's got a few more up for other games.

Yeah, @Morgan MLGman and I were just talking about those. I still can't figure out why they're so much slower than the Core i3 6100. 200MHz is a negligible improvement in clock speed, as well as Kabylake's architectural improvements being negligible. Furthermore, they chips have the same amount of cache. Basically, they're the same chip 200MHz apart. Why is the Pentium hitting 100% all over the place?

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

presumably no turbo boost - or a less aggressive one

The Core i3 6100 doesn't have turbo boost either. Last I recall, those are limited to Core i5, and core i7 chips, as well as a bunch of Xeons.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Yeah, @Morgan MLGman and I were just talking about those. I still can't figure out why they're so much slower than the Core i3 6100. 200MHz is a negligible improvement in clock speed, as well as Kabylake's architectural improvements being negligible. Furthermore, they chips have the same amount of cache. Basically, they're the same chip 200MHz apart. Why is the Pentium hitting 100% all over the place?

My i3-6100 was hitting 100% all the time in GTA

1 minute ago, DarkBlade2117 said:

My i3-6100 was hitting 100% all the time in GTA

Even in the built-in benchmark, with something as weak as the GTX 960?

Huh, maybe it is on par with the 6100.

1 minute ago, Aereldor said:

Even in the built-in benchmark, with something as weak as the GTX 960?

Huh, maybe it is on par with the 6100.

Was using an R9 290. My 6100 was clocked at 4.5GHz though. I would test it but kind of just sold and shipped my i3-6100 to pay for a new keyboard

I'm sorry, but even at this price you should avoid it. Not unlocked, still a dual core and yes it may have Hyperthreading but with current and future titles on Vulkan/DX12 wanting more and more cores there's really no reason to get this unless you're only playing older titles. It's why AMD is going 4/6/8 on the core count for Ryzen with SMT on the consumer platform.

This feels like one of those G3258 scenarios but with a locked CPU where it looks good on paper and everybody is hyped for it cuz low price yo but as soon as people load up games they're being held back severely by the low core count (with some games even going as far as removing objects in game or not booting at all when running on a dual-core CPU). 4 physical cores <-2 Hyperthreaded cores.

Ye ole' train

Wow Intel hasn't been competitive in this low end market since the e2160 in 2006.  They must really be scared of Zen.

Good for us tho

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

1 minute ago, Yoinkerman said:

Wow Intel hasn't been competitive in this low end market since the e2160 in 2006.  They must really be scared of Zen.

Good for us tho

The G3258? And Celerons have been the best value at the low-end for a while. Just ask @ONOTech about his tests with a Celeron G1840. 

I see on ARK it says that they're "launched" anyone know how long until we are actually able to buy them?

5 minutes ago, Aereldor said:

The G3258? And Celerons have been the best value at the low-end for a while. Just ask @ONOTech about his tests with a Celeron G1840. 

I have two g3258s, they're toys at best. I still recommend the 860k over them for average joes on a budget because normal people don't care there's an .ini hack to play far cry 4 with 2 cores they just want it to work.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers