Buying a drone

Meme lord

I am trying to build my own drone, I know it probably won't work but I want to try. Im going to use http://www.homedepot.com/p/Everbilt-6-in-x-18-in-16-Gauge-Plain-Steel-Sheet-Metal-801467/204225705 and make my own frame and will use https://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller/home?O=&sku=1218720&gclid=CjwKEAiA48fDBRDJ24_imejhwUkSJAAr0M5kQuX1a7vOrsO6A_dugE5tSscxbfA9Qg8vu9woHPRxrBoC_gfw_wcB&is=REG&ap=y&m=Y&c3api=1876%2C91438732682%2C&Q=&A=details and http://www.ebay.com/itm/4pcs-DFD-F183-F182-JJRC-H8C-H12C-Electric-Motor-A-B-Quad-Copter-Drone-Spare-Part-/191926849039 for the motors. I have a anker 5,200 mAh power bank but I think its to heavy for the drone. Does anyone have any sugestions on better parts? Im trying to stay UNDER $200 at the most! Hope someone can help me :)

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

use Arduino as a brain 

Link?

It seems a lot simpler to just go with the prebuilt one

well when i was in university me and my friend got a bunch of arduino and did this for fun. 

Yeah step one, don't use sheet metal for your frame. It transfers too many vibrations. Step two, use an actual flight controller. The Naze 32 rev6 is pretty damn good for a beginner, but as you progress a nicer flight controller is a good thing. Lastly, those motors will not be powerful enough to lift just about anything made from sheet metal. Check out my guide on building drones, should answer all your questions.

ASU

16 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

use Arduino as a brain 

Yeah don't do that. The problem with arduinos is they are 8bit. They are not nearly fast enough to handle all the PID loop calculations that go into keeping a multirotor in the air. Purpose built flight controllers is the way to go. Plus they have receiver integration and software already made for them. Betaflight is a very good, very stable firmware for purpose built flight controllers. It works great and it's a hell of a lot more simple than trying to figure it out on your own.

ASU

1 minute ago, Hackentosher said:

Yeah don't do that. The problem with arduinos is they are 8bit. They are not nearly fast enough to handle all the PID loop calculations that go into keeping a multirotor in the air. Purpose built flight controllers is the way to go. Plus they have receiver integration and software already made for them. Betaflight is a very good, very stable firmware for purpose built flight controllers. It works great and it's a hell of a lot more simple than trying to figure it out on your own.

no you can get 16 bit Arduino. i have a bunch of 16 bit Arduino. 

Just now, nerdslayer1 said:

no you can get 16 bit arduino. 

K that's still not fast enough. The Naze 32 is seen as ancient and slow these days because it uses an STM32 F1 chip. Even on 32bit, you need more speed to calculate all the corrections that need to be made to counteract forces acting on the aircraft, but my point is for a beginner, it's enough of a bear to get the aircraft together. Then having to program it? What happens if you fuck up your code and the aircraft decides to invert your throttle? When you plug in, the damn thing will shoot up in your face. What happens when you need to send the precise arming sequence to get the ESCs activated? A Naze32 is $25, it's worth the hassle. 

ASU

Just now, Hackentosher said:

K that's still not fast enough. The Naze 32 is seen as ancient and slow these days because it uses an STM32 F1 chip. Even on 32bit, you need more speed to calculate all the corrections that need to be made to counteract forces acting on the aircraft, but my point is for a beginner, it's enough of a bear to get the aircraft together. Then having to program it? What happens if you fuck up your code and the aircraft decides to invert your throttle? When you plug in, the damn thing will shoot up in your face. What happens when you need to send the precise arming sequence to get the ESCs activated? A Naze32 is $25, it's worth the hassle. 

have you tried it with arduino i can say i have and it works vary well   also other people have like the guy i am linking 

2 minutes ago, nerdslayer1 said:

have you tried it with arduino i can say i have and it works vary well   also other people have like the guy i am linking 

K, a hover. That's great. Why the bloody hell would you go through all the effort to do that to have a janky, unsafe, system when this (http://www.getfpv.com/acro-naze32-flight-controller-rev6-w-pin-headers.html) exists with a huge community behind it, driving it forward?

OP, what do you want this aircraft to do? Do you just want four motors and some sticks to fly around your street, or are you looking for something else?

ASU

3 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

K, a hover. That's great. Why the bloody hell would you go through all the effort to do that to have a janky, unsafe, system when this (http://www.getfpv.com/acro-naze32-flight-controller-rev6-w-pin-headers.html) exists with a huge community behind it, driving it forward?

OP, what do you want this aircraft to do? Do you just want four motors and some sticks to fly around your street, or are you looking for something else?

i just did it for fun and use some arduino knowledge. 

1 minute ago, nerdslayer1 said:

i just did it for fun and use some arduino knowledge. 

If OP is going to be dropping a couple hundred dollars in parts (which they'll need to if they want to make steal to fly, unless it's like a 90mm frame, even then they'll need a good bit of money in parts and equipment) a real flight controller is necessary if not just for the peace of mind. Maybe if OP just wants to hover a couple times then take it apart, maybe that would make sense to use an arduino, but even then you would have to spend a ton of time figuring out how to get the damn thing to work.

ASU

8 minutes ago, Hackentosher said:

If OP is going to be dropping a couple hundred dollars in parts (which they'll need to if they want to make steal to fly, unless it's like a 90mm frame, even then they'll need a good bit of money in parts and equipment) a real flight controller is necessary if not just for the peace of mind. Maybe if OP just wants to hover a couple times then take it apart, maybe that would make sense to use an arduino, but even then you would have to spend a ton of time figuring out how to get the damn thing to work.

the fun is to getting it to work the learning process. but i agree. 

I'm planning on just flying for fun. I want it kind of fast. If it was going to be heavy, what rpm would you recommend?

7 hours ago, Meme lord said:

Probably 22xx standard miniquad motors, but you want something cut from carbon fiber. Fiberglass is going to break really easy when you crash.

What are some really good motors under $100

I spend around $20 per motor bringing the cost of all four to arround $80 depending on how nice of a motor I'm looking for.

I'm planning on just flying for fun. I want it kind of fast. If it was going to be heavy, what rpm would you recommend?

Sounds like you want an fpv type aircrafts (see my video I linked above), check it more my cheap drone parts list in my signature.

rpm is basically irrelevant and inconsistently. What's matters is the prop, motor, and battery's you combine.

ASU