Swtiching from a first gen intel cpu to AMD A3+ cpu question

Go to solution Solved by asand1,

Forget the FX chips. Upgrade your i7 to a Xeon X5680. 

6 core, 12 thread, 12mb Cache, 3.33Ghz, unlocked. 4.5+OC

http://ark.intel.com/products/47916/Intel-Xeon-Processor-X5680-12M-Cache-3_33-GHz-6_40-GTs-Intel-QPI?q=X5680

Hey guys so after upgrading to a Asus ROG strix gtx 1060 I noticed quite bad bottleneck on my first gen I7-930 (OC'd to 4.2ghz) in games like GTA V and The Witcher 3 and I just picked this motherboard up for $10 NZD today.

Asus M5A78L-MUSB3  

My current mobo in my rig is a Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R with 10gb of DDR3 ram at 1883Mhz which with my first gen I7 is quite outdated in 2017!!!

The question i have is what would you guys recommend is terms of an AMD CPU? I have read that the FX Series are quite good especially at multitasking considering the hexa and octacore chips (and the new mobo that I have only supports AMD3+ cpu's) Also I have never run an AMD cpu before so what is the temp thresholds and obviously CPU cooling dependent how great are they for Overclocking (Yes I know the Guinness WR is 8.7 on an AMD chip but not everyone has liquid nitrogen :D ) 

Cheers guys.

wait for the new AMD zen/ryzen chips.... theyre about to come out soon

Photography / Finance / Gaming

Just now, mok said:

Yeah I have seen the mad hype surrounding that :) For now what I am looking for is something that is around or below $200NZD (around $140 USD)

3 minutes ago, mok said:

They won't work with DDR3 anyway

2 minutes ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

Yeah I have seen the mad hype surrounding that :) For now what I am looking for is something that is around or below $200NZD (around $140 USD)

I would get Haswell as they still supoort DDR3. It is still a great upgrade

Don't drop your i7-930 system. The AM3+ CPUs aren't much better than it. Instead use it to build a new computer :)

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

dont get an AM3+ CPU over what you have, its not any better. instead get a X58 Xeon and overclock it, there are some that can get close to the 8 core X99 chips if you can get them past 4GHz :D X58 is still a really good platform

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

7 minutes ago, Energycore said:

Don't drop your i7-930 system. The AM3+ CPUs aren't much better than it. Instead use it to build a new computer :)

My mobo only supports LG1366 sockets so I am pretty limited with that, I just was thinking maybe switching to AMD would open up more possibilities especially a FX-9590 being 5ghz :)

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

dont get an AM3+ CPU over what you have, its not any better. instead get a X58 Xeon and overclock it, there are some that can get close to the 8 core X99 chips if you can get them past 4GHz :D X58 is still a really good platform

Which Xeon's would you recommend to check out?

DON'T get AM3+ with (Ry)Zen SO CLOSE to launch. 

The FX 8350 is only about 10-15% faster than the 930

-----> Official Unofficial Favorite Keyswitch Type Survey <-----

OWNER OF THE FASTEST INTEL iGPU ON LTT UNIGINE SUPERPOSITION [lol]

GAMING RIG "SNOWBLIND"

CPU i5-13600k | COOLING Corsair H150i Elite Capellix 360mm (White) | MOTHERBOARD Gigabyte Z690 Aero G DDR4 | GPU Gigabyte RTX 3070 Vision OC (White) | RAM  16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro RGB (White)SSD Samsung 980 Pro 1TB | PSU ASUS STRIX 850W (White)CASE  Phanteks G360a (White) | HEADPHONES  Beyerdynamic DT990 Pro | KEYBOARD Zoom75 (KTT Strawberry w/ GMK British Racing Green keycaps) | MOUSE  Cooler Master MM711 (White) MONITOR HP X32 1440p 165hz IPS

WORK RIG "OVERPRICED BRICK"

Mac Studio (M2 Ultra / 128GB / 1TB) | HEADPHONES  AirPods Pro 2 | KEYBOARD Logitech MX Mechanical Mini | MOUSE  Logitech MX Master 3S MONITOR 2x Dell 4K 32"

SECONDARY RIG "ALCATRAZ"

CPU i7-4770K OC @ 4.3GHz | COOLING Cryorig M9i (review| MOTHERBOARD ASUS Z87-PROGPU Gigabyte 1650 Super Windforce OC | RAM  16GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR3 1600 MHzSSD Samsung 860 Evo 512GB | HDD Toshiba 3TB 7200RPMPSU EVGA SuperNOVA NEX 750WCASE  NZXT H230 | HEADPHONES  Sony WH-1000XM3  | KEYBOARD Corsair STRAFE - Cherry MX Brown | MOUSE  Logitech G602 MONITOR LG 34UM58-P 34" Ultrawide

HOLA NIGHT THEMERS

GET YOUR ASS ON NIGHT THEME

OTHER TECH I OWN:

MacBook Pro 16" [M1 Pro/32GB/1TB] | 2022 Volkswagen GTI | iPhone 14 Pro | Sony a6000 | Apple Watch Series 8 45mm | 2018 MBP 15" | Lenovo Flex 3 [i7-5500U, HD5500 (fastest on the forum), 8GB RAM, 256GB Samsung 840 Evo] | PS5, Xbox One & Nintendo Switch [Home Theater setup] | DJI Phantom 3 Standard | AirPods 2 | Jaybird Freedom (two pairs) & X2 [long story, PM if you want to know why I have 3 pairs of Jaybirds]

1 minute ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

My mobo only supports LG1366 sockets so I am pretty limited with that, I just was thinking maybe switching to AMD would open up more possibilities especially a FX-9590 being 5ghz :)

An FX-9590 is a terrible idea, that motherboard won't support it anyway because it's a massive 250W CPU. Not only that, it's not much better than an FX-8300.

Really if what you want is flexibility and upgradability, you should wait for Zen

We have a NEW and GLORIOUSER-ER-ER PSU Tier List Now. (dammit @LukeSavenije stop coming up with new ones)

You can check out the old one that gave joy to so many across the land here

Computer having a hard time powering on? Troubleshoot it with this guide. (Currently looking for suggestions to update it into the context of <current year> and make it its own thread)

Computer Specs:

Spoiler

Mathresolvermajig: Intel Xeon E3 1240 (Sandy Bridge i7 equivalent)

Chillinmachine: Noctua NH-C14S
Framepainting-inator: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC2 Hybrid

Attachcorethingy: Gigabyte H61M-S2V-B3

Infoholdstick: Corsair 2x4GB DDR3 1333

Computerarmor: Silverstone RL06 "Lookalike"

Rememberdoogle: 1TB HDD + 120GB TR150 + 240 SSD Plus + 1TB MX500

AdditionalPylons: Phanteks AMP! 550W (based on Seasonic GX-550)

Letterpad: Rosewill Apollo 9100 (Cherry MX Red)

Buttonrodent: Razer Viper Mini + Huion H430P drawing Tablet

Auralnterface: Sennheiser HD 6xx

Liquidrectangles: LG 27UK850-W 4K HDR

I forgot to add the bottleneck isn't really bad nothing to really cripple the system its just noticeable in terms of transitioning between area's in open world games... I can run the witcher 3 at everything ultra on 1080p 70fps with vsync (overclocked my monitor to 70hz) I am just worried I will fall behind the loop this year as a 7 year old gpu and mobo paired with a 2015/16 gpu has me a little worried :)

2 minutes ago, Shiv78 said:

So not worth completely stripping everything out changing it all over getting new ram modules and spending around $200 on a AMD cpu just to gain $10 which when relating to FPS is around like 5 right haha thank god for the forums, Although at least now I have a spare mobo for a new PC build in the future I could flick for more parts for my main rig :)

3 minutes ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

Which Xeon's would you recommend to check out?

Intel Xeon X5650 or Intel Xeon X5460

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

I am currently running at 4.2ghz at 40c idle and temps get around 85c on full load with Intel burntest just to add. I have also read that the thermal threshold for AMD is scary scary. Now I get all the house burning down AMD memes lol

2 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Intel Xeon X5650 or Intel Xeon X5460

Are they unlocked? Sorry never bought a xeon before, infact this is my first gaming PC build after switching from console -have owned this rig for around a year and a half now

1 minute ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

Are they unlocked? Sorry never bought a xeon before, infact this is my first gaming PC build after switching from console -have owned this rig for around a year and a half now

you can do some overclocking mainly using BCLK and you should be able to get them over 4GHz on air before heat is a problem

Builds:

Spoiler

Just now, Bananasplit_00 said:

you can do some overclocking mainly using BCLK and you should be able to get them over 4GHz on air before heat is a problem

Yeah cause at the moment I am at 200 BCLK at 1.25vcore and that has been stable ever since I built it. I guess from a wallet concious standpoint statying with what I have and just upgrading the cpu would be the best choice going by what everyone is saying. Plus I have seen a heck of alot of gaming benchmarks with AMD chips compared to Intel and AMD looks like it has infact WORSE bottlenecks.....

I would imagine pairing a AMD card with an AMD cpu would be more beneficial but I sold my old R9 280X so I only really have the gtx 1060 now lol

Just as im writing this, this video came up in my recommended list on youtube haha 

13 minutes ago, Energycore said:

An FX-9590 is a terrible idea, that motherboard won't support it anyway because it's a massive 250W CPU. Not only that, it's not much better than an FX-8300.

Really if what you want is flexibility and upgradability, you should wait for Zen

Wow 250w that is insane!

Yeah should have noticed that lol thanks. Zen looks really promising 

6 minutes ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

Yeah cause at the moment I am at 200 BCLK at 1.25vcore and that has been stable ever since I built it. I guess from a wallet concious standpoint statying with what I have and just upgrading the cpu would be the best choice going by what everyone is saying. Plus I have seen a heck of alot of gaming benchmarks with AMD chips compared to Intel and AMD looks like it has infact WORSE bottlenecks.....

I would imagine pairing a AMD card with an AMD cpu would be more beneficial but I sold my old R9 280X so I only really have the gtx 1060 now lol

well im looking into getting something like one of those Xeons and a X58 motherboard for myself but i just havent gotten around to it mostly, a 200BCLK is pretty crazy tho seeing as my I5 4690K gets super unstabile if i tweak it just a minute amount lol(but a lot more things are hevaly reliant on it now so you cant go insaine with it anymore lol)

Builds:

Spoiler

2 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well im looking into getting something like one of those Xeons and a X58 motherboard for myself but i just havent gotten around to it mostly, a 200BCLK is pretty crazy tho seeing as my I5 4690K gets super unstabile if i tweak it just a minute amount lol(but a lot more things are hevaly reliant on it now so you cant go insaine with it anymore lol)

I would recommend one of these, http://www.gigabyte.co.nz/products/product-page.aspx?pid=3449#ov or even these are nice boards https://www.amazon.com/ASUS-P6X58D-Premium-1366-Motherboard/dp/B002WSHXQ2/ref=sr_1_1?s=pc&ie=UTF8&qid=1484008778&sr=1-1&refinements=p_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2057458011%2Cp_n_feature_four_browse-bin%3A2057465011%2Cp_n_feature_keywords_two_browse-bin%3A6159420011

2 hours ago, Shiv78 said:

Are you an idiot?  The first gen i7s are garbage.  My a10 7700k is better than it when it runs at 3.4 ghz.  Which isn't even close to its potential.  The 8350 is the same as a 4670k. Let the man buy what he wants my god.  Also I jsut build my friends pc with this processor.  It's fine for every application.  And why can't you run the witcher op?  I'm locked at 45-60 most of the time on my CPU,

1 minute ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

Are you an idiot?  The first gen i7s are garbage.  My a10 7700k is better than it when it runs at 3.4 ghz.  Which isn't even close to its potential.  The 8350 is the same as a 4670k. Let the man buy what he wants my god.  Also I jsut build my friends pc with this processor.  It's fine for every application.  And why can't you run the wither.  I'm locked at 45-60 most of the time on my CPU,

Im really just trying to decide what would be better in terms of performance per $$.

In all reality switching to an AMD cpu plus mobo would be significantly more expensive than just getting a better CPU with my current motherboard even though the x58 platform is quite outdated.

If I had the money I would definitely get something like a lga 1151 mobo and a 6th gen I7 but that is not a financial option at the moment, maybe around the end of 2017 it will but my max expenditure would be about $200 ($140USD). Prices here in NZ are ridiculous (think canada prices) and I really just wanted to see if I would be better off switching to AMD or staying with what I have and getting a better CPU like a 970 etc

And I can run the witcher just fine lol

6 minutes ago, Liquid0cel0t said:

Im really just trying to decide what would be better in terms of performance per $$.

In all reality switching to an AMD cpu plus mobo would be significantly more expensive than just getting a better CPU with my current motherboard even though the x58 platform is quite outdated.

If I had the money I would definitely get something like a lga 1151 mobo and a 6th gen I7 but that is not a financial option at the moment, maybe around the end of 2017 it will but my max expenditure would be about $200 ($140USD). Prices here in NZ are ridiculous (think canada prices) and I really just wanted to see if I would be better off switching to AMD or staying with what I have and getting a better CPU like a 970 etc

And I can run the witcher just fine lol

Keep the system you have... the 1060 scares me in terms of the cheap 3 gn vram model.  The rx 480 surprising runs the witcher at 60 fps on ultra with hair works turned of cause amd doesn't like nvidia bs.  But besides that the 8350 is a good chip if you don't have money.  100+140 and you have a new build.  This think also doesn't run hot like the intel fan boys say... it runs cooler than most intel processors.... the 212 evo keeps it cool.

1 minute ago, Mast3r_Gaming said:

Keep the system you have... the 1060 scares me in terms of the cheap 3 gn vram model.  The rx 480 surprising runs the witcher at 60 fps on ultra with hair works turned of cause amd doesn't like nvidia bs.  But besides that the 8350 is a good chip if you don't have money.  100+140 and you have a new build.  This think also doesn't run hot like the intel fan boys say... it runs cooler than most intel processors.... the 212 evo keeps it cool.

Oh im not one to be on the whole "loyal to my brand to the death" bandwagon (used to have a r9 270x before this 1060) so I have no allegiance lol Ryzen looks amazing but again for the same price I could get a whole new build really...

My 1060 was on a clearance sale and being a 6gb rog edition it does just fine on almost every game I play at 1080p. Its only with the coming of new games in 2017 that has me worried lol the 8350 is what I was looking at (especially those 8 cores!) but compared to just getting a new CPU with my current mobo its a lot more expensive but as they say "Khajit has wares, if you have coin"