Nvidia vs. AMD, No, I'm not trying to start an argument...

Go to solution Solved by Morgan MLGman,
2 minutes ago, JR8 said:

Alright then. That solves this post, thanks for all the help, all.

I switched from a GTX 660 to a GTX 970, then an R9 290X and now an R9 Fury (also Sapphire Nitro) and it's amazing for the price, no driver issues etc.

If you care more about power consumption than performance:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-afterburner-undervolt-radeon-r9-fury,4425.html

(They went from 280W of power draw to 213W, though I'm running the 300W BIOS + OC cause I don't care about power consumption and want the best performance possible.)

So here's my question. 

I'm upgrading from an old Nvidia geforce gtx 460. It plays some games well, most games not.(solid 31fps average in rocket league) I was looking to upgrade to the R9 Fury (nitro version by sapphire), when vega comes out.

What does the change across companies look like? I've owned several Nvidia GPUs and loved them all... but the price/performance ratio on the Fury is incredible if you get a working one from the factory, which is why i'm buying one. I want to know if I'll get a performance drop in Nvidia optimized games compared to a similarly priced Geforce card (at the 240 dollar mark that's the 1060). 

Yes, yes, I know that I'll get a performance boost just because it's a newer card but, I do want to know if the optimization for this specific card will affect performance in games like BF1 TF2, etc.

Cheers,

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

3 minutes ago, JR8 said:

when vega comes out.

Mate, they're cheap as chips now. Get them before they stop production, which is likely when they bring out a new architecture. 

Generally you're likely to get better performance than the 1060 even in games that are Nvidia biased. 

idk

4 minutes ago, JR8 said:

I want to know if I'll get a performance drop in Nvidia optimized games compared to a similarly priced Geforce card (at the 240 dollar mark that's the 1060).

Depends on who you ask. What the data will show is that the relative performance will most likely be the same across all games depending on some circumstances like proper support for the GPU, proper graphics API support, things like that. If a game is an Nvidia GameWorks game, tinfoil hatters will tell you that AMD is being gimped by these games, but they're not. You can simply turn off the "Nvidia" effects in these games and be fine as you're not being forced to use them. The only thing you can't turn off in some games is when the engine's physics is based on Nvidia PhysX (not the advanced PhysX effects you'll be able to toggle on or off in some games) but it is basically hardware agnostic and won't gimp you based on which GPU that you use.

11 minutes ago, JR8 said:

I was looking to upgrade to the R9 Fury (nitro version by sapphire), when vega comes out.

huh?! ahhh hell no get it RIGHT NOW while it's still available and cheap if you want that hot bitch powerhouse cause they will run out soon.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

huh?! ahhh hell no get it RIGHT NOW while it's still available and cheap if you want that hot bitch powerhouse cause they will run out soon.

agreed

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

CPU: i5 2500k @ 4.6ghz Mobo: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 RAM: G.Skill 16gb of DDR3 @ 1600mhz GPU: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 1060 6gb Extreme Gaming PSU: EVGA 700B Storage: 480GB SP SSD and a 960GB Ultra II Sandisk. Cooler: Cryorig H7 Case: Phanteks P400. 

2 minutes ago, JR8 said:

I switched from a GTX 660 to a GTX 970, then an R9 290X and now an R9 Fury (also Sapphire Nitro) and it's amazing for the price, no driver issues etc.

If you care more about power consumption than performance:

http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/msi-afterburner-undervolt-radeon-r9-fury,4425.html

(They went from 280W of power draw to 213W, though I'm running the 300W BIOS + OC cause I don't care about power consumption and want the best performance possible.)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

Nvidia. Better at every cost. I don't know why people argue AMD is better - they haven't been competitive ( apart from the rx 470 and 480 ) for YEARS in both gpu and CPU markets. They will say " Vega will change everything " - reliastically no it won't, they said the same about the newest line of AMD GPU's " this will be amazing , this will change everything for nvidia fans "

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

2 minutes ago, Armakar said:

Nvidia. Better at every cost. I don't know why people argue AMD is better - they haven't been competitive ( apart from the rx 470 and 480 ) for YEARS in both gpu and CPU markets. They will say " Vega will change everything " - reliastically no it won't, they said the same about the newest line of AMD GPU's " this will be amazing , this will change everything for nvidia fans "

wow that's a new standard of fanboyism or what?!

Radeon always been quite competitive...offering cards at good price...they do pull a bit more power but they are usually a bit cheaper as well...calm down buddy...

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

I know this has been solved, but in all honesty the 460 means your probably playing 1080p, at that resulotion the fury is such a beast optimizations won't mean sh*t.

Just now, EminentSun said:

I know this has been solved, but in all honesty the 460 means your probably playing 1080p, at that resulotion the fury is such a beast optimizations won't mean sh*t.

Thanks for the extra input, that's good to hear. and I'm playing at 1600x900. Haha. I'll be switching to 2560x1080 when I buy the fury so.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

1 minute ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

wow that's a new standard of fanboyism or what?!

Radeon always been quite competitive...offering cards at good price...they do pull a bit more power but they are usually a bit cheaper as well...calm down buddy...

Realitically, no, they don't AMD show trumped up benchmarks that make a card seem like it has great performance for the price and then when it comes out it's a different story.

Take the RX480.  Everryone said it'sa 970 killer, it's got insane P4P ratios but realisticallyit can't even outperform a stock 3gb 1060..

Main Rig

CPU: Ryzen 2700X 
Cooler: Corsair H150i PRO RGB 360mm Liquid Cooler
Motherboard: ASUS Crosshair VII Hero
RAM: 16GB (2x8) Trident Z RGB 3200MHZ
SSD: Samsung 960 EVO NVME SSD 1TB, Intel 1TB NVME

Graphics Card: Asus ROG Strix GTX 1080Ti OC

Case: Phanteks Evolv X
Power Supply: Corsair HX1000i Platinum-Rated

Radiator Fans: 3x Corsair ML120
Case Fans: 4x be quiet! Silent Wings 3

1 minute ago, Armakar said:

Realitically, no, they don't AMD show trumped up benchmarks that make a card seem like it has great performance for the price and then when it comes out it's a different story.

Take the RX480.  Everryone said it'sa 970 killer, it's got insane P4P ratios but realisticallyit can't even outperform a stock 3gb 1060..

Benchmarks? Some proof of this would be nice now that we're kicking into full on Red v green mode.

Better dead than Red.

Pheonix

---------------

1 minute ago, Armakar said:

you're kidding me right?!

you didnt got the memo!? the RX 480 is now as fast as a 6GB GTX 1060...and yes AMD tend to cherry pick benchmarks and show great gains on stage but who doesnt?!

The cards they release are usually a bit slower than expected at launch but then a year later once they figured the drivers most people agree that the card perform even better than they first expected...

2 minutes ago, Armakar said:

What? The 480's drivers have improved and it is on par with the 3/6GB 1060 now. The Fury is an older flagship card that can outperform the 1060 and come near 1070 performance, and it's amazingly cheap because of it being an older flagship. This isn't AMD's benches either, it's independent reviewers. 

idk

5 minutes ago, Armakar said:

This is not true at all, get your info updated. Also, this thread is gonna get closed quickly because of you.

3 minutes ago, JR8 said:

Benchmarks? Some proof of this would be nice now that we're kicking into full on Red v green mode.

He's wrong. Also, a fun fact for you as you're getting the Fury, if overclocked enough it can score the same as a GTX 1070 / GTX 980Ti at stock in 3D Mark FireStrike.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6900 XT 16GB GDDR6 Motherboard: MSI PRESTIGE X570 CREATION
AIO: Corsair H150i Pro RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 32GB 3600MHz DDR4 Case: Lian Li PC-O11 Dynamic PSU: Corsair RM850x White

1 minute ago, Morgan MLGman said:

He's wrong. Also, a fun fact for you as you're getting the Fury, if overclocked enough it can score the same as a GTX 1070 / GTX 980Ti at stock in 3D Mark FireStrike.

wooohhhhHH...depends which 980ti...my strix card run 1385mhz out of the box...i'd love to see your fury match it's performance...even at ''stock'' :P

if you mean reference 1000mhz 980ti...then yeah ;)

2 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

wooohhhhHH...depends which 980ti...my strix card run 1385mhz out of the box...i'd love to see your fury match it's performance...even at ''stock'' :P

My 1070 SC is at 1594 out of the box, up from the stock 1509.. 

man having only 1x6 and 1x8 pin sucks for OC

idk

6 minutes ago, i_build_nanosuits said:

Of course, by "at stock" I mean reference clock speeds, my Fury matches a 1070 FE with 1506/4006 clock speeds in FireStrike as it scored a bit over 17300 (GPU score) with drivers from November, gonna re-test today with ReLive and check if it increased the score :P

According to the chart from legitreviews.com:

gtx1070-3dmark-firestrike.jpg

Just now, Droidbot said:

My 1070 SC is at 1594 out of the box, up from the stock 1509.. 

man having only 1x6 and 1x8 pin sucks for OC

a GTX 1070 at 1594 out of the box?! they fuck? :P

my 980ti running a 1445mhz overclock eat your 1070 for breakfast then ;) hehe

Of course, by "at stock" I mean reference clock speeds, my Fury matches a 1070 FE with 1506/4006 clock speeds in FireStrike as it scored 17300 (GPU score) with drivers from November, gonna re-test today with ReLive and check if it increased the score :P

According to the chart from legitreviews.com:

yes but 3d mark firestrike score =/= overall gaming performance ;)

a GTX 1070 at 1594 out of the box?! they fuck? :P

my 980ti running a 1445mhz overclock eat your 1070 for breakfast then ;) hehe

well my ITX board has very meh power delivery and my PSU isn't amazing, so OCs usually kill something in my machine if it isn't the CPU. 

(my 770 died due to a long time 24/7 memory OC) so I'd prefer not to kill my new $600 card again

idk

1 minute ago, Droidbot said:

well my ITX board has very meh power delivery and my PSU isn't amazing, so OCs usually kill something in my machine if it isn't the CPU. 

(my 770 died due to a long time 24/7 memory OC) so I'd prefer not to kill my new $600 card again

how do you know it was from memory OC about the 770?

yes but 3d mark firestrike score =/= overall gaming performance ;)

Of course, though it is a DX11 benchmark and reflects overall GPU horsepower quite accurately I guess, another user asked me today to benchmark a few games (Such as ROTTR, The Witcher 3, BF1 etc), I might just make a video with it :)

Of course, though it is a DX11 benchmark and reflects overall GPU horsepower quite accurately I guess, another user asked me today to benchmark a few games (Such as ROTTR, The Witcher 3, BF1 etc), I might just make a video with it :)

if you do please send me the link i'd love to see it :)

BTW i reached level 70 in BF1 you should come play more sometime...