The Windows 98 gaming build! Need game suggestions!

it_dont_work

So after I finished an xp build for games I haven't been able to throw that nostalgic longing for a  dusty beige box (not a euphemism). It's time to collect parts, dig through my own pile of garbage and put together a not so period correct windows 98 gaming machine

Current specs: This list is more going to be based on early 2000's hardware that I know I can find drivers for and will be edited as find parts or dig up bits and pieces and answer the age old question of should I raid IDE drives? 

CPU: Pentium 4 or socket a athlon, aiming for 2ghz (ime maximum supported speed without running into issues), realistically anything from 300mhz up depending on what I can find.

RAM: 786mb of probably DDR, 512mb is the aim if I need to go with SD ram

ODD: Beige dvd drive!

FDD: just a floppy drive, 5.25" or zip drive if i can find an internal.

HDD: probably a couple of 40gbs, but a small ssd through a sata adapter might happen as well, anything under or around 80gbs is the goal.

Wifi: Some shitty pci d link card I've got here, since I highly doubt I'll be able to find a board to support my ISA 10/100 card.

The hunt begins for the most stereotypical beige tower on the planet, you know back when there was actually decent steel in pc cases.

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

how many IDE ports are there? if theres just one theres no point in raiding a master/slave combo. A PCI USB adapter and usb flash drive would prob be faster

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

16 minutes ago, SCHISCHKA said:

how many IDE ports are there? if theres just one theres no point in raiding a master/slave combo. A PCI USB adapter and usb flash drive would prob be faster

I believe when I boxed it up and put it in storage it was a 4 channel ata raid card. I don't really care about speed, but it was a dam sight faster than a single drive back in the day

Silent build - You know your pc is too loud when the deaf complain. Windows 98 gaming build, smells like beige

6 hours ago, it_dont_work said:

I believe when I boxed it up and put it in storage it was a 4 channel ata raid card. I don't really care about speed, but it was a dam sight faster than a single drive back in the day

just dont forget the floppy drive

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

On 1/10/2017 at 4:29 AM, SCHISCHKA said:

just don't forget the floppy drive

Just realised I only own 1 floppy disk! and its a boot disk for redhat... ;)

Picked up some parts, lucked out with an asus board with ide and sata, plug full driver support for 98se and 2000,

20170112_180720.jpg

20170112_180704.jpg

Picked these up at an ewaste recycler, EVERYONE of them has data on it! the fuck is wrong with people, one of the dam things is even full of spyware and logmein rescue crap and ransomware. 

oh and for @SCHISCHKA

Ripped through those old cases this arvo and collectect what I needed. Have 2x spare mobo/cpu/ram/gpu combos now for something, and a complete box I'll probably put 3.1 on for some reason.

Also who ever though this was a good idea can sit on a rusty pole.

20170113_161814.jpg

Parts!

20170113_165429.jpg

I here matx is popular atm?

20170113_165441.jpg

Still on the hunt for a sound blaster card, need that good old game port and good sound support for dos. I did have back in the day an awe64, it's funny what we throw out because it seems like we'll never need it again...like a commodore 128 or my nes, those were probably bad decisions.

• 3 weeks later...

Well it's pretty much done! final specs are for now

athlon at 1.8ghz

1gb ddr

2x dvd drives because I didn't have another drive bay cover

HDD Barracuda 250gb with a 38gb partition...

ATI 9200 128mb gpu (f tonne more than I need for this, may end up being a compatibility problem)

Some d-llink wifif nic

Floppy, which I only currently own 1 disk cor, which is a redhat boot disk from 97.

Just need a ps2 keyboard since the usb keyboard drivers wont load until logged in...and a soundcard for the logitech wingman! Then its time for some mech warrior!

Please leave a comment with any game suggestions you've got! 9x or dos doesn't matter!, currently I've got mech warrior2,doom (of course),duke,chips challenge,Warcraft II, and descent lined up.

20170113_201254.jpg

20170131_150911.jpg

20170131_151006.jpg

Cool. I think that these should all work on that system:

Interstate '76

Cyberia

Moto Racer

Bermuda Syndrome

Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity

MDK

Need For Speed II

Need For Speed III

Worms Armageddon

Duke Nukem 3D

Age of Empires

Age of Empires 2

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

2 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

Interstate '76

Cyberia

Moto Racer

Bermuda Syndrome

Beavis and Butthead in Virtual Stupidity

MDK

Need For Speed II

Need For Speed III

Worms Armageddon

Duke Nukem 3D

Age of Empires

Age of Empires 2

MDK! god how did I forget that masterpiece

Moto Racer I have a copy of somewhere that may still exist.

Age I totally forgot about

Duke is already waiting I II and 3d

The rest I'll look for, I've most wanted somewhere, and of course I need to install tonyhawk 2 just for the sound track...

Here are some more:

One Must Fall 2097

Tyrian

Raptor: Call of the Shadows

Jagged Alliance 2

Skyroads

Stunts (might run too fast)

Heroes of Might & Magic 2

Might and Magic VI: The Mandate of Heaven

Lucas Arts point & click adventure games

Conquests of the Longbow: The Legend of Robin Hood

King's Quest

Space Quest

Star Wars Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

You own the software that you purchase - Understanding software licenses and EULAs

"We’ll know our disinformation program is complete when everything the american public believes is false" - William Casey, CIA Director 1981-1987

1 minute ago, Delicieuxz said:

Skyroads and OMF were awesome games. They are also both abbondonware/freeware now so I'd urge anyone interested to give them a shot (run pretty good in dosbox as well)

Jazz jackarabbit is another I forgot about and the incredible machine , of course theres varius maxxis sims title to find as well.

@Delicieuxz remember 4d boxing?

3 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Jazz jackarabbit is another I forgot about and the incredible machine , of course theres varius maxxis sims title to find as well.

@Delicieuxz remember 4d boxing?

Yeah, Jazz Jackrabbit and Maxis sims are great games. I added Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II to my previous post.

I haven't played 4D boxing. I recall playing a game called 4-point basketball, though.

4 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

Rise of the Tomb Raider

Last revelation maybe ;)

3 minutes ago, Delicieuxz said:

I added Jedi Knight: Dark Forces II

X-wing and Tie fighter I enjoyed. Dark forces I remember, never had II.

I'll make a list and throw up a screenshot of the desktop when I've installed most stuff. Make a master list.

Bioforge

Police Quest

Wing Commander series

Planescape Torment

The Longest Journey

Freespace 2

Crusader: No Remorse

Crusader: No Regret

Fallout

Fallout 2

Another World

Heart of Darkness

Flashback

Outcast

Is this actually the LTT forum? guys asks for compatible games for Win98 and NOBODY says Half-Life? I am disappointed xD

Pitfall the Mayan Adventure and Recwar were really cool games from the 90's

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

I have the fondest memories of playing Age of Empires on my dads old PC. "Wololo"

Half-life was good but don't know about compatibility (played on modern system)

That's an F in the profile pic

On 1/31/2017 at 9:59 PM, Princess Cadence said:

Is this actually the LTT forum? guys asks for compatible games for Win98 and NOBODY says Half-Life? I am disappointed xD

Pitfall the Mayan Adventure and Recwar were really cool games from the 90's

27 minutes ago, Froody129 said:

I have the fondest memories of playing Age of Empires on my dads old PC. "Wololo"

Half-life was good but don't know about compatibility (played on modern system)

Been playing some Tie fighter special edition as of late.

I've played half life to death at this point, just like CS it's not something I really have any desire to play anymore lol. It's also plays fine on new systems

FOLLOWED!!

:D

Current Build

CPU - Intel® Core™ i5-7500 Processor

Motherboard - MSI H110M Gaming Micro ATX LGA1151 Motherboard

RAM - Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-2400 Memory

GPU - Zotac GeForce GTX 1070 8 GB MINI Video Card

Case - Segotep π Cube

Storage - Sandisk SSD PLUS 120GB 2.5" | Seagate BarraCuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive | Western Digital - Blue 2TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive

PSU -     Super Flower Leadex Silver 550 W 80+ Silver

Display(s) - 24" Class Full HD IPS Monitor (24MP68VQ-P)

Cooling - CRYORIG M9i | Cooler Master SickleFlow X 120mm Fan (Intake) | Cooler Master SickleFlow X 120mm Fan x2 (Exhaust)

Keyboard -  Corsair K70 RGB MK.2 Wired Gaming Keyboard

Mouse - Corsair M65 RGB ELITE Wired Optical Mouse

Sound - Edifier XM6PF

Operating System - Windows 10 Pro

PCPartPicker URL - https://pcpartpicker.com/list/3DhQkX

Spoiler

On 1/12/2017 at 8:28 PM, it_dont_work said:

oh and for @SCHISCHKA

please that is so outdated

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

2 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

@SCHISCHKA , the fuck did I just watch? was he seriously writing 'games' on the cd's surface?

i like how they took the piss out of their first film. still ineffective and that kid at the end prob got a year or two off his sentence for participating. the word he is writing looks like GRAPP, no idea what it is

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_   

1 minute ago, SCHISCHKA said:

i like how they took the piss out of their first film. still ineffective and that kid at the end prob got a year or two off his sentence for participating. the word he is writing looks like GRAPP, no idea what it is

Nar I was having a laugh at him writing on  burn surface of the cd's. On a side note I'm still not sure if the floppy works since I don't own any anymore, I had a few boxes of them I was going to do something with that ended up getting thrown out :(

4 minutes ago, it_dont_work said:

Nar I was having a laugh at him writing on  burn surface of the cd's. On a side note I'm still not sure if the floppy works since I don't own any anymore, I had a few boxes of them I was going to do something with that ended up getting thrown out :(

even when floppies were purchased brand new they were highly unreliable

☼

ψ ︿_____︿_ψ_